Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Why would I do that? I do have a life...I just come on here when I am on the phone or waiting for an email at work...
Plus, I only discovered this website around election time last year.
I have a life too, and it doesn't interfere with making predictions. If you want people to take you seriously here, you need to build a reputation for predictions not made in hindsight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I notice there's no breakdown on the maturity of these treasuries. The Fed is buying on the long end of the curve, because few in their right mind are clipping coupons for 30 years.

Really?

"NEW YORK, Aug 13 (Reuters) - Investors snapped up a record $15 billion auction of 30-year U.S. government bonds on Thursday, allaying concerns about the risk that foreign buyers may demand much higher yields at sales of longer maturities."

Foreign bids bolster U.S. 30-year Treasury bond sale | Markets | US Markets | Reuters

Ken

Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Why don't you folks put your money where your mouth is. I don't believe for one second you're making the kind of money you're claiming and few others do as well. What will be the range of the 10yr by end of year? What will oil be? What will unemployment be?

Chickens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
I'd say screw it and buy 100 shares of Ford stock (or 1000 of Sirius) and hope that the American car market recovers. That way you might make a lot of money. The other options are okay, but none of them have the opportunity to really make money.
I said that on November 5th, 2008.
Had you listened to me:
SIRI went from .25/share to .70/share, almost triple.
Ford went from 2.09/share to 7.74/share, almost quadruple.

That was one of my first days here on this website. So there you go. Following my advice could have made you pretty rich.

I actually waited a couple weeks and invested at .08/share for SIRI and 1.26/share for Ford.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 PM

512 posts, read 861,967 times
Quote:
They'll stop extending it soon enough. The bills are coming due and it's getting really hard to sell Treasuries at auctions. The Fed does latent buybacks and other things. Kind of like trying to coast to a gas station 80 miles away. Ain't gonna work.
The whole treasuries auctions are worrying me, too.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Fed Assets Increase 2.3% on Buying of MBS, Treasuries (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

M1 rose 17.5% in 52 weeks
M2 rose 8.5% in 52 weeks

Both WAY above "normal".

Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Why don't you folks put your money where your mouth is. I don't believe for one second you're making the kind of money you're claiming and few others do as well. What will be the range of the 10yr by end of year? What will oil be? What will unemployment be?

Chickens!
I don't really care whether you believe me or not - but I HAVE put my money where my mouth is. I've been saying a recovery is coming since early April and have been fully invested that entire time - and I've reaped the benefits as a result.

Regarding predictions for the 10 year notes?
Heck I don't know. Maybe 4.5%

Oil?
$85 a barrel?

Unemployment?
The official number: 9.8%?

Those are just guesses.

Ken

Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Fed Assets Increase 2.3% on Buying of MBS, Treasuries (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

M1 rose 17.5% in 52 weeks
M2 rose 8.5% in 52 weeks

Both WAY above "normal".
Sure - but these are not "normal" times are they?
It's no secret the government has been backing a lot of stuff over the last year.

Ken

Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I don't really care whether you believe me or not - but I HAVE put my money where my mouth is. I've been saying a recovery is coming since early April and have been fully invested that entire time - and I've reaped the benefits as a result.

Regarding predictions for the 10 year notes?
Heck I don't know. Maybe 4.5%

Oil?
$85 a barrel?

Unemployment?
The official number: 9.8%?

Those are just guesses.

Ken
That's pretty nice. Place questions on your "predictions" to hedge your bet. You belong in politics. Either you're making a prediction or you're not. Which is it?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 PM

512 posts, read 861,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I should have said that it's a problem for those who are trying to sell their houses, especially if they're trying to sell a home that is worth more than average. They're competing with banks that are holding huge numbers of foreclosed homes, and desperate sellers who are using "short sales" to try to unload their homes.
But a home doesn't have a "worth more than average" price tag. It's simply market value. I hear what you're saying, though.

A home is an investment. Investments go up and they go down. I know for years you'd hear people say home prices will never go down, and I would think who are they kidding (this was before I got into the biz). Unfortunately, it was a lie told to sell more homes, new construction, home improvement projects, and etc. Another reason we should all make educated decisions based on logic.

I'm not saying this has happened to you, so please don't mistake me. I do feel for you and hope you can sell soon!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
That's pretty nice. Place questions on your "predictions" to hedge your bet. You belong in politics. Either you're making a prediction or you're not. Which is it?
Sure, I'm making a prediction - but I admit it's just a guess.
Where did I say I was psychic?

The uptick in the economy I saw back in April wasn't a big secret - and I wasn't the only one who saw it. There were lots of indications it was coming - from improvement in the overall LEI to the reduction in the number of monthly job cuts (which peaked in January). That's a big reason the market started rallying.

You just chose to dismiss those indicators.
I can't help that.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies