Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,190,704 times

Advertisements

Civil unions do not convey any of the 1,000 plus federal special rights given to straight couples.

If gays cannot have the same rights they should be exempted from paying federal taxes - taxation without representation is un-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 06:54 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,260,955 times
Man, that's why I love coming here. So many fresh outlooks on hot topics! Well said Lakewooder!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,471,298 times
Hopefully the majority of Americans will never be in favor of homosexual marriage. All of our traditions are under attack.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:04 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,836,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Civil unions do not convey any of the 1,000 plus federal special rights given to straight couples.

If gays cannot have the same rights they should be exempted from paying federal taxes - taxation without representation is un-American.
Thats ridicules!
homosexuals have every right every other human being has in america, what they want is SPECIAL rights according to their sexual behavior!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Hopefully the majority of Americans will never be in favor of homosexual marriage. All of our traditions are under attack.
???? Who said anything is under attack? If a gay male or female couple marries, who or what is that attacking? How are you or anyone else threatened by a gay couple being wed? What impact does it have on you?

Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,143,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Thats ridicules!
homosexuals have every right every other human being has in america, what they want is SPECIAL rights according to their sexual behavior!
You don't know what you're talking about where rights are concerned. There are many things gay people cannot do that you as a heterosexual (I'm assuming) can do. It would nice if you did some research and also if you stopped reducing gay people to nothing but their sexualities. Do you think that's all we do? Because when I look out at the world, the heterosexuals are doing a fine job of aiming our society at the gutter.

I'm amazed, still in the 21st century, at the amount of hatred and outright ignorance. How many decades of literature, social commentary, and general life experience are necessary for heterosexuals to come to terms with the existence of gay people? We're not obvious--there's nothing that can identify us out of the crowd like the other minorities you want to hate. Does that scare you? Does it bother you that you have to hold in your hatred because you never know where one of us will show up? Like on a public thread, posting an intelligent response?

The only SPECIAL right I deserve is the ability to inject some heartfelt wisdom into the ignorant masses that surround me.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,836,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about where rights are concerned. There are many things gay people cannot do that you as a heterosexual (I'm assuming) can do. It would nice if you did some research and also if you stopped reducing gay people to nothing but their sexualities. Do you think that's all we do? Because when I look out at the world, the heterosexuals are doing a fine job of aiming our society at the gutter.

I'm amazed, still in the 21st century, at the amount of hatred and outright ignorance. How many decades of literature, social commentary, and general life experience are necessary for heterosexuals to come to terms with the existence of gay people? We're not obvious--there's nothing that can identify us out of the crowd like the other minorities you want to hate. Does that scare you? Does it bother you that you have to hold in your hatred because you never know where one of us will show up? Like on a public thread, posting an intelligent response?

The only SPECIAL right I deserve is the ability to inject some heartfelt wisdom into the ignorant masses that surround me.
Look at the irony of your post,( reducing gay people to nothing but their sexualities). YOU DEFINE YOURSELF BY YOUR SEXUALITIES! The only reason youthink you dont have every right I do is because of your sexualities!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:49 AM

111 posts, read 263,586 times
Default Hmm...

That's a great observation by Silas. A very, very good one.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,143,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Look at the irony of your post,( reducing gay people to nothing but their sexualities). YOU DEFINE YOURSELF BY YOUR SEXUALITIES! The only reason youthink you dont have every right I do is because of your sexualities!
Well, silas777, that's an interesting assumption, but I don't identify myself by my sexuality at all. My being gay (though many who know me doubt that!) is just like my being a Christian, a Jew, a Republican, etc. It is one label out of many that people use to describe themselves to others. For homophobics and fundamentalists it's the ONLY word they use to describe certain people. It is in no way my defining characteristic and I'm sorry you feel that way--it's simply not true. I could give you a thousand other more apt words that describe me and none would have anything to do with what you reduced me to.

You say that gay people "think" they don't have every right you do. Are you saying it's all in our heads? Our being denied rights is an illusion? Your focus is to blame that delusion on my sexuality, as if being gay affects the ability to think and reason. Again, your focus is on the sex, not me! Clearly, there is some miscommunication here.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,471,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
???? Who said anything is under attack? If a gay male or female couple marries, who or what is that attacking? How are you or anyone else threatened by a gay couple being wed? What impact does it have on you?

I do not focus on how gay marriage can affect me personally. I am aware that this is an ever growing narcissistic society and people cannot see past their own reflection in the mirror. Gay marriage adversely affects society as a whole. Once you approve of gay marriage you will not be able to stop a marriage of any combination based on how some likes their sex, multiple partners, incestuous and whatever combination man can conjure up.

Gay marriage will have a great impact on society. In fact the Ford Motor CO. sponsored an article in a gay magazine on polygamist homosexual marriage. See where we are headed here? You have to turn away from the mirror and see there is a whole society that is counting on each and every person to see past their on reflection and personal desires to do what is best for society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies