Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I agree the Mary Jo incident was a horrible thing and a blot on his record. It shouldn't overshadow everything positive he did. ................
I think it does. At the end of our days we all simply hope that the good we have accomplished will overshadow the bad. In this case, I don't think it does but we're trying to be positive.

Kennedy did much to help those less fortunate than he was and I truly believe he really did love this country which very much matters. He held enormous power and was a driving force in public service for almost 47 years. That alone is worth honoring.

So on his death we mourn and honor him, but never forget that Ted Kennedy was a human being with very real faults not the least of which was a time in 1969 when he put himself first and the life of a young girl was snuffed out unnecessarily because of bad decisions that he made. I am ever mindful that his was not always an exemplary life.

So we should honor him for his good works, for recognizing the benefits of negotiation, for reaching across the aisle. But please let's not deify him as I have seen done over the past couple of days. He was just a man and at times not a particularly honorable one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 PM

67 posts, read 97,400 times
I couldn't stand his political leanings, but I'm sure if I met him in person and would have been able to sit down and talk with him I would have liked him personally. He was definitely no dummy; he was a very intelligent man. He DID do a few things politically that I agree with, although those were in the minority.

RIP Senator Kennedy, and I wish your family peace.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
uhmmmm I am thinking...............
He had the gift for speaking.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,309 times
Compared to Algore, NancyP and BO, he was a saint.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Compared to Algore, NancyP and BO, he was a saint.
I don't know about saint but he was a step above them for sure.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,171 times
I met William Kennedy at UNM many years ago. He was just a person. He seemed nice enough - for a Democrat. OK, in all seriousness, he was very quiet and quite serious. He also seemed quite intelligent. I would not want to carry that burden (Kennedy name) with me. I only spoke with him a few times, but he was a nice enough fellow.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
Thanks TXBoomerang. It's nice posters like you, who know what they're talking about and try to spread the "nice" around that keep me coming back to C-D.

I never met the man but from what I saw of him and others like him who were "burdened" with family wealth he seemed to handle his (later) life much better than many. In a way this is a tribute to his folks, although mostly his Mom because I think "The Ambassador" was a world class azz-hat. I read one of the more recent biographies of Senator Kennedy (I think there have been 2 or three published in the last couple of years) and it sounds like his Mom was the "driver for excellence" from the kids.

Many of us did lots of stupid things when we younger;

Screwed up in college; CHECK

Drank and drove, with a woman other than our mate; CHECK (although in my case I wasn't married or engaged to the other one

Had to join the Army because of screwing up, getting kicked out of college; CHECK. Heck most of us would have had Dad pull some strings and get us into Yale or Princeton upon getting kicked out of Harvard.

Have to live every day knowing that one brother sacrificed himself and died during WWII, another was a Naval hero and was assassinated, another was known as a "crime busting" Attorney General and was assassinated. KNOWING that every time anyone looks at you they're thinking; "why's he still around and they're dead?" That's got to be a terrible burden.

I think despite all of his troubles when younger (heck not so young, up until his fifties) he was a man who genuinely did want to see others helped and couldn't understand the pettiness of those around him who felt that CEOs who donated money to their political campaigns should get to screw over powerless people.

Thanks for starting this thread.

golfgod

Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,435 times
One of his sons was speaking speaking today and said something that caught my attention. It was something along the lines of Republicans want whats best for America as well, even if were don't agree on political issues you still respected them. That is pretty damn admirable to me, just look at this forum where you cannot have a debate without personal attacks being thrown back and forth. To be able to sit have a debate, which can get heated, but not throw insults at the poster but reply in a way thats respectful. People on both sides of the spectrum are guilty of it, hell I get pretty heated over issues. I just wish we could do it with some respect.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
his work on behalf of civil rights was a huge great contribution to our country. so was all he did for seniors and young children.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I think he was truly sincere in his beliefs, but unfortunately I think he more often legislated with his heart rather than his brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies