Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,583,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Insurance companies do not raise costs providers do. Insurance companies pay providers. The only way to contain costs is to ration care, plain and simple. You can cut reimbursement to providers all you like you cannot get that much savings.

You are so deluded. Insurance companies have monopolized both costs, and care. Giving them competition is the American fu&%ing way yet you rightwingers are content to keep government run competition out of the argument in favor of obscene profits and lack of coverage that is affordable for most Americans.

How they get you all to defend their indefensible profits and lack of coverage for those who need it is beyond me, but I wonder how much FOX News one must watch to end up that lost and arguing against your own (and your country's) self interests

Last edited by odanny; 08-30-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,247,937 times
Quote:
He said it is and why is America the only industrialized nation without universal health care. Wall street, insurance companies, politicians when did greed start to top caring for your fellow man?.

I pray that your country finds it's moral compass and does the right thing for all Americans."
Health care is not a moral issue regardless of what Moyers or Maher issue, it is a political issue. WJClinton's own campaign mantra was 'You can't legislate morality.'

As far as the country's moral compass, the only thing it needs to do is elect a Congress that will create a structure where the insurance industry can provide coverage at reasonable rates for all americans. Without political fraud.

Here's a moral issue for Congress....

Read the bill. If you don't read the bill at least read the constitution. If you can't read then just go home.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
With the track record of the governments ability to actually take care of its people, the answer to your question is no one.
Hmmm. Social Security reliably provides support to nearly 50 million retired and disabled Americans and their survivors and dependents at administrative cost rates that make index fund managers look like hogs.

Food stamps reliably provide support to nearly 30 million Americans at fraud and abuse rates of about 2%, much of that not by recipients, but by small businesses who have been authorized to accept food stamps.

I wonder what track record it is that you are actually referring to?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,809,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The UK NHS is the 3rd largest employer in the world. Only the Chinese army and the Indian rail system employ more people. And that's to support a program that covers a population that's 1/6 of ours.

I'm calling you on this poppycock. Do you have data to back that up??? I see an article from the Times in 2004 and know what ... hiring trained professionals such as doctors, nurses, scientists and pharmacists is a-ok in my book ... furthermore, so what? It just shows that the concept of a nationalized healthcare system doesn't scare professionals away. Our system is so overwrought with paper pushers to appease the stupid health insurance companies. This is not the case with NHS countries.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Many have brought thoughtful, well presented questions to these meetings but the left wishes to focus on the extreme arguments. That is their choice. But by doing so trivialize the legitimate concerns of many Americans. Again health will go no where if the left continues down that road.
What ARE those reasonable questions that are still in need of being answered, and why do Randall Terry and a bunch of anti-abortion rowdies show up at a Health Care Town Hall in Northern Virginia?

Face it, not having any actual argument to make, the right-wing is deliberately trying to demagogue this issue and to poison the debate with trumped up allegations and complaints in resorting to the same sort of mushroom-cloud fear tactics that have been used by the right-wing around this and other issues for decades.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Insurance companies do not raise costs providers do. Insurance companies pay providers. The only way to contain costs is to ration care, plain and simple. You can cut reimbursement to providers all you like you cannot get that much savings.
Hmmm. How are providers linked to those 20-25% administrative costs? How are providers linked to insurance industry profits? Why do US providers have to hire staff who deal only with paperwork issues, when in a country such as France, it would be common to enter a provider practice and not find ANYONE on staff who was not a trained medical professional?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,793,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What ARE those reasonable questions that are still in need of being answered, and why do Randall Terry and a bunch of anti-abortion rowdies show up at a Health Care Town Hall in Northern Virginia?

Face it, not having any actual argument to make, the right-wing is deliberately trying to demagogue this issue and to poison the debate with trumped up allegations and complaints in resorting to the same sort of mushroom-cloud fear tactics that have been used by the right-wing around this and other issues for decades.
First off, there are philosophical differences. Many believe the government is inefficient and cannot do many things as well as the private sector.

Next is cost. There has been no credible explanation as to how they intend to contain costs. Reducing reimbursement to providers is not cost containment. Without usage controls there is no real cost containment.

The public option has a very real potential to crowd out private insurance. Not because it is superior but because it is cheap.

These are only three issues that have not been answered in any real way. There has been lots of shouting on both sides but not much real discussion.

Terry is involved for the same reason SEIU beats up opposition members. Each side mobilizes people who are sympathetic to its cause to help influence legislation. These tactics are as old as the republic.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Hmmm. How are providers linked to those 20-25% administrative costs? How are providers linked to insurance industry profits? Why do US providers have to hire staff who deal only with paperwork issues, when in a country such as France, it would be common to enter a provider practice and not find ANYONE on staff who was not a trained medical professional?
I don't think it is productive to bring any other country into the discussion. I have been down this road with other posters. Every country has its problems I could list Frances problems but they are irrelevant to our experience.

I am not here to defend insurance companies, reform is needed. But they have a much greater incentive to control costs than government.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:53 AM

[quote=odanny;10523733]
Quote:

You are so deluded. Insurance companies have monopolized both costs, and care. Giving them competition is the American fu&%ing way yet you rightwingers are content to keep government run competition out of the argument in favor of obscene profits and lack of coverage that is affordable for most Americans.

How they get you all to defend their indefensible profits and lack of coverage for those who need it is beyond me, but I wonder how much FOX News one must watch to end up that lost and arguing against your own (and your country's) self interests
This is a perfect example of the name calling I have been pointing out. How does one have a rational discussion in this environment?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 AM

9,907 posts, read 10,853,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Jamie Lee Curtis: Say

I especially appreciated this person's response (in the "Comments" that follow the piece):

"I watch and read and feel greatly frustrated for our American neighbors. Who thought a debate on health care could get so damn ugly. I wonder what has happened to the America that most want to live in somewhere along the way your moral compass has gone haywire.

I thought I was the only one feeling this way that health care is a moral issue until I watched Bill Moyers on Bill Maher's show last night. He said it is a moral issue and why is America the only industrialized nation without universal health care. Wall street, insurance companies, politicians when did greed start to top caring for your fellow man?.

I live with illness have for over 25 years and I wonder how my life would be if I did not live in a country that has made health care a right. It has kept me alive because an insurance company would turn me down in a minute. I know that because I lost my life insurance overnight suddenly I was un-insurable only in Canada that means life insurance. Yet this debate stirs many emotions in me because illness does not discriminate Sen Kennedy knew that .illness is not limited to the poor it also affects the rich and everyone in between.

I pray that your country finds it's moral compass and does the right thing for all Americans."
jamie lee curtis ,saw bill moyer on bill mahre, Im convinced! we must need it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies