Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Idiotic 'reasearch' from Texas no less...when was the last time a 6 month old told you what they were thinking?
what a joke.
The last time I had a 6-month old baby. He was always telling me what he was thinking, but he used his language, not mine. I guess you've never had one.

Babies cannot tell you what they are thinking, but they can tell you when they are thinking, by giving something their attention. We can then infer that they are thinking about whatever they are giving their attention to, which is going to be the thing that seems different and new to them. This is the same "idiotic" research that led Newton to wonder why the apple fell from the tree, and then began to make logical inferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
This is a carbon copy of your original post. Restating it doesn't make it any less ridiculous. I am not saying that babies shy away from SOME things that are unfamiliar to them. However to imply that babies shy away from other babies of a different race is asinine. What about white parents who adopt black children. Do the children shy away from their foster parents? Do they shriek in terror when their foster parents white faces come within a certain radius? No.

I don't know what kind of children you've been around, but your argument is absurd.
Most children are frightened by things/people they aren't familiar with.

If you had any children of your own, or even spent time around babies, you'd know that to be true.

And you'd know that your argument is absurd.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:30 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times
Television may be partly to blame. Kids pick up a lot of stuff from TV.

When is the last time you saw a crime show featuring a violent drug dealer who was an elderly white woman—a grandmother type? When an episode calls for an unwed pregnant ghetto teen, how often is that role portrayed by an attractive young Jewish girl? If there is story about a pro athlete who abuses steroids, is Hollywood likely to cast a Korean guy for the role? No. These roles are nearly ALWAYS portrayed by African Americans on TV and in the movies.

Maybe Hollywood should quit portraying blacks in these negative stereotype roles. Then young children would not form such opinions.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Children develop their assumptions on race based on their environment or environments. There is a hierarchy of environments with the home being the most important and school rating some where in the middle.
If a child grows up in a home where there are frequent visitors of another race or a diverse neighborhood, they are less likely to see the difference in skin colour as being a significant difference. The operative word is significant, yes they will notice a difference but based on their first hand knowledge it will not be significant enough to use skin color alone to help make a decision about a person. School segregation doesn't work because homes,neighborhoods and churches are more important environments to a child. If you have known adults who grew up in homes where the Bahia faith is practised, you will see people who's assumptions on race are quite different from most people. Bahia's practise what they preach.

I have noticed babies with the father as a primary care giver are less likely to cry when another man picks them up

Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
A study with so many uncontrolled variables cannot be taken seriously. The researcher set out with a point of view, and found evidence to support it. Shocker. Did they get government money for this?

If you don't make it an issue, it won't be an issue. When questions come up (and they will), answer them truthfully. This is how I have raised my kids, and I'm not going to change because of one flawed study with an agenda.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Possibly both ethnocentricity seems to be genetic but isn't always based on race.

There was a TV special made about the production of the original Planet of the Apes movie.
The photographer noticed that iin the begining of production people ate lunch based on ethnicity.
Blacks with blacks, whites with whites, hispanics with hispanics etc. but, by the end of the movie it was
Chimps with chimps, gorillas with gorillas and oragutans with orangutans.
That is too funny. I am a woman of color living in snow white State o' Maine. When I'm at the grocery store and I approach infants in their carts, I find that their reactions, positively or negatively is based mostly on their familiarity with eyeglasses. Those reflective specs either scare 'em or attract 'em.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Seems to me that I once saw a study that indicated infants that were consistently fearful of new things were more likely to develop disorders in later life.

Smile at the baby!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:45 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times
Default This study is BS

In this supposedly scientific study, one of the compilers commented about the white children having a superiorty complex.. Although the white children reacted to every single study the same way as the children of other races.. So considering my children are white - these "researches" would automatically assume they had a superiority complex and were less willing to accept other races. So in their definition, all white children are racist.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:57 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post

In this supposedly scientific study, one of the compilers commented about the white children having a superiorty complex.. Although the white children reacted to every single study the same way as the children of other races.. So considering my children are white - these "researches" would automatically assume they had a superiority complex and were less willing to accept other races. So in their definition, all white children are racist.
Who's the real racist?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Asinine, to say the very least...

"Kids as young as 6 months judge others based on skin color. What's a parent to do?"

Even Babies Discriminate: A NurtureShock Excerpt. | Newsweek Life | Newsweek.com
#1. A baby has a very limited knowledge of the variety of humans on the planet.

#2. A baby is familiar with the faces they see on a daily basis caring for them.

#3. If a baby saw a face with purple stripes and orange stars, that face would be foreign to the baby and the baby would favor faces it's familiar with seeing because those faces give care to the infant.

What are you trying to say? That a baby is racist?

#4. Skin color is not exclusive to any particular "race". There are fair skinned blacks, fair and dark skinned Asians, and darker skinned Whites, etc.

This study is flawed and only serves to keep "racism" in the forefront.

And think about this for a moment... People who grow up in cultures where they only see people of one "ethnicity" without exposure to others of different ethnicities are polarized as adults to favor faces they've been exposed to as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies