Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:53 PM

145 posts, read 171,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
If all minoroites supported what you said, you'd be run right out of town in a heartbeat. By the way, what you wrote is extremely racist to the Nth degree.
I'm a native, and I'm pretty sure none of you really know what the deal is with aztlan/black nationalism either. Neither of these things are simply the opposite of White nationalism.

Oh, and there's nothing racist about calling a settler a settler. I always cringe when I see one of those "support Palestine" kids, the cognitive dissonance required to be anti-Israel while being pro-America is astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 PM

145 posts, read 171,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
haha and tell me what "kind" is that? The smart kind?
Did you take the short bus to school?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,443,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
So you argue for putting race and ethnicity behind us, while making sure to point out in the opening words of your post that you are a "minority."

I am pretty sure he did that because had he not he would have been called a racist from the first word that was not praising the president.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times
people have already addressed how hypocritcal the OP is for bringing race into it, then saying to leave race out of it. i won't repeat. What I think is funny about the OP is that it says Obama is out of step with mainstream America. What makes you think you are mainstream America? What makes you think Obama is out of touch? Then you seem to lump President and Mrs. Obama in with Kanye West and Beyonce and some others. What in the world to any of those people even have in common, except that they are minorities?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,443,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
After I read TomLennox's post, then yours, I wanted to say that, as someone who supports the President, but not to the point of marching in lockstep with EVERYTHING he says, that your short post made a lot of good points...

First of all, let's be blunt about one thing in particular---I really wish folks would just LET GO of this 'if you don't agree with Obama, you're a racist' mess...all folks are doing is exercising their right to disagree with the man, yourself included...I've seen some of your posts, and while I don't always agree with you, I damn sure am not gonna label you a racist because we're on opposite sides...

In fact, if you were to show up at my front door in Middletown right now, my wife and I would invite you in, and we could talk about the differences in our politics and otherwise like civilized adults...and that comes from my heart...

Now, here's the other elephant in the room (no GOP pun intended LOL)...it's common knowledge, I guess, that there are SOME folk out here whose main objection to the Pres is that he's a black man...but note I said SOME, not ALL...I'm not, at 53, naive enough to think that EVERY person who doesn't support the Pres is due to his race---they don't care for his policies or (attempted) reforms, and that's understandable, as I wasn't the greatest fan of Mr GW Bush...but I respected him at the end of the day, like him or not, voted for him or not, because I was taught to respect the office, even though I didn't care for its' occupant...

But I want to hear back from you on this question---do you feel the same about my last statement? That is, at the end of the day, do you still respect the OFFICE of the Pres, even if you're not a supporter of Mr Obama?

I am a conservative and yes I do respect not only the office but even Obama. I don't have to like what he does but I do respect who he is.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think ALL of us truly need to put race and ethnicity behind us and realize that we are all Americans before we're anything else.
So you're against ethnic compartmentalisation, but you're for national compartmentalisation?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I am pretty sure he did that because had he not he would have been called a racist from the first word that was not praising the president.
Yes, the OP's race is a useful tool for him to use when it suits him, it seems. And people on this forum and elsewhere have had no problem calling Obama or Sotomayor a racist, so why he would think identifying himself as a "minority" would preclude possibly being called a racist is beyond me.

The OP's argument not only fails but is also the height of hypocrisy because his whole argument for putting "race and ethnicity behind us" is premised upon his own foregrounding of race at every turn.

Last edited by helenejen; 09-15-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
So you're against ethnic compartmentalisation, but you're for national compartmentalisation?
There are no illegal humans....and dogs and cats love THEIR babies, too. And when you lock a prisoner IN.....you're locking yourself OUT !!

DOWN with compartmentalization!!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I've heard the same type of statement from people who are in their 70s and older. If you call attention to their 'racist' remark, they will fervently deny that they are racist. They don't see a thing wrong with saying a black man isn't smart enough to be POTUS.
Well....I don't know. We had a WHITE man recently, who many people not ONLY thought wasn't smart enough to be President.....he couldn't even pronounce "nuclear". Personally, I think we should get an illegal immigrant to be President of the US....he couldn't do the job any worse than some of the ones we've had, but he'd at least do it a lot cheaper.....

Old 09-15-2009, 04:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There are no illegal humans....and dogs and cats love THEIR babies, too. And when you lock a prisoner IN.....you're locking yourself OUT !!

DOWN with compartmentalization!!
Yes, because humans should really model their behaviour towards one another on the behaviour of canines and felines.

If you think it's okay to like your nationality, how can you possibly judge someone who feels more comfortable with their own ethnicity? You may not be two peas in a pod, but you are two black cooking instruments.

If anything, your cat and dog analogy works better for ethnicity than for nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies