Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's full of valuable links. You'd know that if you had ever been there. What an insult to the many good people who participate there.
I'm sorry you feel that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,792,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
How many approve of using taxes to effect Social Engineering of our society? To get us to live the way the GOVERNMENT thinks you should live?
We need to pay people to become sterilized. We need to cut the population of this country in half in the next 50 years.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,679 times
I think it's a little silly. Soda isn't the only drink that contributes to obesity. Some people drink a lot of milk, and juice isn't exactly calorie friendly either. (and high in sugar) This is one of those things where people need to control any addictions they have.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,551,917 times
Hey, I make my own! They ain't taxing the s**t out of organic sugar yet. Besides, it tastes really good.

Skroo em all, let em drink HFCS. I got my civilized little sugar jones taken care of.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
I am in favor of it, soda and sugary drinks are one of the causes of obesity in America so they should be taxed. The same goes for cigarettes, alcohol, and any other substances that contribute to our health mess. While I do not support bans of these things I think taxes can be useful in off setting the external costs these things have on public resources.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,551,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am in favor of it, soda and sugary drinks are one of the causes of obesity in America so they should be taxed. The same goes for cigarettes, alcohol, and any other substances that contribute to our health mess. While I do not support bans of these things I think taxes can be useful in off setting the external costs these things have on public resources.
Let's find a way to tax unsafe sex and driving while texting.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Let's find a way to tax unsafe sex and driving while texting.
texting while driving should be banned. Doing that one is putting everyone else on the road in danger. With soda one is not endangering anyone else per-say, but there is a good chance, that if one is a large consumer of soda, one will be costing everyone else money due to the fact that in the next 20-50 years, there is a good chance one is going to be obese, diabetic and on medicare using all sorts of public funds to address the problems one caused oneself with un-healthy habits earlier in life.

Thus they should pay taxes now to compensate for the draw they will likely be on the system later in life.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
I wish there was a way to monitor a person's irresponsible lifestyle without invasion of privacy, but there isn't. Again, I don't like the idea of imposing a tax, but maybe it will be a deterrent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
there is a good chance one is going to be obese, diabetic and on medicare using all sorts of public funds to address the problems one caused oneself with un-healthy habits earlier in life.
You do make some sense. Maybe I wouldn't agree if I hadn't lived for the past 13 years in my last home. It was a nice neighborhood, but I never met so many people who abused the system. I'm talking about those who drink a 6 pack or a bottle of gin every night and smoke 2-3 packs a day and then call 911 when they feel sick or get a ride to the emergency room. I don't want to sound uncaring, but one neighbor never stopped smoking after he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He was in his 50s but when you're on SS disability you qualify for Medicare, and if you fall below a certain income, Medicaid will pickup some or all of the deductibles and copays. Anyway, he's dead, so there's little chance he'll see this comment. On the one hand, I feel badly for someone who is living with cancer. He really suffered at the end. On the other, it took over 5 years for him to die after they found a spot on his lung. Don't hate me for saying this, but why pay for someone to have radiation and several series of chemo for years if he's still chain smoking?

To stay on the topic, isn't this the same as treating an overweight person with high blood pressure who won't stop eating junk & drinking soda pop? Sorry, folks. I'm 58 and health insurance is very expensive, so this annoys me.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-20-2009 at 04:20 AM..

Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,782,650 times
They just stated on tv that there are already are States taxings soda's and they have the highest obesity rates...so it seems another waste tax!

On top of that they stated that all drinks with sugars will be extra taxed so even your coffee with sugar can be taxed since McDonalds put's sugar in it when you order it, or maybe you have to bring your own sugar and order sugar free to pay less

Old 09-20-2009, 06:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,210,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's ok with me as long as that tax isn't wasted on pointless programs or government bloat.

lol, like that will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies