Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Yes it does contribute to a number of problems, and don't forget dental problems. Soda is the primary cause of cavities and decay, even the soda companies admit that.

I'd support a tax on soda or candy. Most people don't take dental issues seriously until it happens to them, and dental work can easily get very expensive and I'm not sure if healthcare reform would do much about dental costs.

I'd also support a federal soda container deposit similar to what Michigan imposes. I'm sick of seeing soda cans and bottles littered all over the highways, just recycle it!
But you could say the same thing for any sugary drink. There are so many drinks out there that claim to be healthy, and they are just sugar water. Those also contribute to tooth decay. I guess my point is that there are so many crappy foods out there, if we just promoted overall healthy lifestyles (no school should ever drop PE), it would probably be more helpful than having a tax.

I'm originally from Michigan, and I really like the bottle deposit. I don't know how many bottle drives I did when I was in marching band in high school, it's an easy way to get cash and help the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'm all for that
All it takes is a little discussion and we can find ways we agree on! Reps to you!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Anyone want to weigh in their opinions on the soda tax? I approve of it personally, and it's one of the few things I'd like about Obama should he do it.
If it applies to the stuff loaded with sugar, I am 100% for it. But the non sugar stuff should not be taxed.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind if Congress passed a soda tax.
We currently have a soda tax in my state but it isn't very big.
I think it should be a 25-50 cent tax on each can or bottle sold.
I know when the price of soda went up during high school (from $1.00-1.25) it curbed how much I bought drinks out the machine. The school news did a segment and a lot of kids said they probably wouldn't buy as many sodas. I am not a big soda fan unless my blood sugar is low and I need a quick pick me up but any other time it's water, juice, milk, or soy milk.

People will complain about the tax but they can always avoid it...just don't drink soda or don't drink as much. No one is FORCING you to buy the soda and it's not like you need it to live.
the millions on food stamps wont complain they will chug away as usual. this is the wrong aproach. punish the working folks only?

bs

Old 09-18-2009, 05:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
But you could say the same thing for any sugary drink. There are so many drinks out there that claim to be healthy, and they are just sugar water. Those also contribute to tooth decay. I guess my point is that there are so many crappy foods out there, if we just promoted overall healthy lifestyles (no school should ever drop PE), it would probably be more helpful than having a tax.

I'm originally from Michigan, and I really like the bottle deposit. I don't know how many bottle drives I did when I was in marching band in high school, it's an easy way to get cash and help the environment.
It is true that many beverages and foods contribute to tooth decay, but due to the widespread use and popularity as well as the sheer amount of soda consumed, it causes far more damage than the other beverages and foods do. According to my dentist, the only thing worse for your teeth than soda is meth!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind if Congress passed a soda tax.
We currently have a soda tax in my state but it isn't very big.
I think it should be a 25-50 cent tax on each can or bottle sold.
I know when the price of soda went up during high school (from $1.00-1.25) it curbed how much I bought drinks out the machine. The school news did a segment and a lot of kids said they probably wouldn't buy as many sodas. I am not a big soda fan unless my blood sugar is low and I need a quick pick me up but any other time it's water, juice, milk, or soy milk.

People will complain about the tax but they can always avoid it...just don't drink soda or don't drink as much. No one is FORCING you to buy the soda and it's not like you need it to live.
That isn't the point. The government is trying to control your behavior with a tax.

This is not unlike a cigarette tax. I'm not a smoker, but it is offensive that the government will tax something in order to control behavior. Where in the Constitution does it find this authority? I don't see it.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:35 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
I mentioned this in another thread - it's not so much the sugar, though that is unhealthy. It's the high fructose corn syrup that is in everything - I mean in foods you don't even expect to have it.
And, it's highly addictive. The FDA should overhaul the commercial food companies' allowed ingredients lists first, if they're truly interested in the nation's health. Otherwise, it's just a matter of collecting more taxes, and to heck with our health. Makes a good excuse, though.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The government is hardly all of us. It is a collection of a few thousand employing a workforce of a few million with no other agenda than to retain it's power over the other 300 million of us.
Collectively we have the power to control or change our government thru our votes or other civil means. That is the point. We can't control what a corporation chooses to market to us or how much they will charge. Or even if it's dangerous to us.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:18 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
I'm for taxing everything I don't use and I am against. I don't smoke so I think a $100 tax on a cigarette is fine. I don't drink sodas either so a $5 tax for bottle is ok with me. Let's not forget burgers. If we taxed burgers and FF's we would no longer need to collect income taxes. If we can't ban it we will tax it. Then we could start thinking about taxing speech.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
All it takes is a little discussion and we can find ways we agree on! Reps to you!
Agreement is totally possible on this board, even with me.
I'm all over the political map so....there ya go. Once I find out more info, it's not all that hard to make me change my mind on SOME issues. I try not to be static in my views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
the millions on food stamps wont complain they will chug away as usual. this is the wrong aproach. punish the working folks only?

bs

I'm not trying to punish working people and let's not pretend that there aren't any working people on food stamps. Some jobs don't pay enough for people to feed their families. Of course some will say go out and find a better job, go to school, etc but that takes $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies