Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Did You Buy an SUV?
I Have a Large Family to Haul Around. 22 16.30%
I Feel Safer in a Higher-Profile Vehicle. 26 19.26%
Our Weather Mandates Four-Wheel Drive. 15 11.11%
My Career Requires That I Own One. 8 5.93%
I Have a High-Income and am Not Concerned about Rising Fuel Prices. 23 17.04%
I Just Prefer the Way They Look and Their Overall Styling 19 14.07%
I'm Actually Regretting Buying One Now 4 2.96%
I Inherited It, Won It, Found It, etc. 2 1.48%
I Don't Truly Know Why/Impulse Purchase 1 0.74%
Shut Up You Stupid Tree-Hugging Yankee Liberal! 53 39.26%
Other 28 20.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:44 PM

124 posts, read 92,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I bought the Yukon because it can haul more people, sits up higher, and well...it's just what I wanted. BMW's are VERY nice, some of my friends have them and they will NEVER trade it for anything but another BMW. I would LOVE to have one of the new 3-Series Convertibles (I'll think about it after the Porsche clunks out) but I don't think I'd want one as a daily driver.

SUV's rule the road in Phoenix and it makes me feel MUCH safer than driving a smaller car. Yes it gets bad gas mileage but that's what you pay for peace of mind.
You know what's the safest SUV? City Bus! Or back where I am from (in NYC), the subway! But I am a public transportation fan. I do have a small car that I use, but I like to ride the bus (my girlfriend and I also live in the city, which helps).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 05:51 AM

253 posts, read 1,741,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobagirl View Post
I'm proud that we've kept American automakers in business.
The American automakers aren't American anymore. GM, for one, has moved most of its production down to Mexico. Can anyone say Flint, MI?

Old 05-27-2007, 07:20 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,149,591 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what would you recommend for a family of 7 who's only roads are highways and gravel which get dumped on with feet upon feet of snow during the winter and are a very muddy mess in the spring and whenever it rains? Muddy to the point where a normal car would get stuck in a heartbeat. What would you recommend for clearance height to ride over the snow 8 months of the year?
I didn't realize there were so many families of 7 and it is amazing how they grew in the past 10 years. It is also amazing that more often than not, I see one person in the truck.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I noticed based on the poll results that nearly 25% of the voters are smartasses. I'm not complaining, I just found it interesting.
I intentionally added that poll option in to let people get a quick jab back at me, as I know I'm a feather-ruffler in a lot of threads. In a way, I am a loud-mouthed Yankee tree-hugger hippie Liberal, and I'm damn proud of it!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times
I drive what I drive. Not because I want to save the environment, but because I drive what I drive. It's what I have and I can't afford to buy anything else. I drive what I drive. I filled up last August. Haven't added fuel since then. Might fill up in August of this year but I'm not sure.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:07 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,017,091 times
Default Desire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As gas prices near me are at $2.95/gallon for regular unleaded and are about to eclipse that dreaded $3/gallon milestone, I was just wondering if those of you who chose to buy Hummers, Land Rovers, Navigators, Excursions, Escalades, Expeditions, Suburbans, etc. could somehow justify the rationale behind your purchases? To me, it seems like all you've done is increased our nation's demand for fossil fuels, thereby increasing the price we ALL have to pay, even those of us who took the initiative to "go green" and either have already bought or will soon be buying hybrid vehicles. Am I right or wrong? Why did you need a vehicle like that?
I drive a Hummer because I want to. I don't have a family, or any kids, but I like the style and "keeping up with the Joneses." I am not driving up oil prices by driving my luxury SUV to Starbucks and Jamba Juice, and could really care less about crazed tree-huggers who would rather see everyone in a car made out of leaves, running on air. This is not North Korea. We don't have to survive on the bare minimum.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,101,546 times
miamiman - surely you jest.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,835,977 times
Thumbs down This is a ridiculous thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As gas prices near me are at $2.95/gallon for regular unleaded and are about to eclipse that dreaded $3/gallon milestone, I was just wondering if those of you who chose to buy Hummers, Land Rovers, Navigators, Excursions, Escalades, Expeditions, Suburbans, etc. could somehow justify the rationale behind your purchases? To me, it seems like all you've done is increased our nation's demand for fossil fuels, thereby increasing the price we ALL have to pay, even those of us who took the initiative to "go green" and either have already bought or will soon be buying hybrid vehicles. Am I right or wrong? Why did you need a vehicle like that?
Has it occurred to ANY liberal in the world that people have kids and kids would drive anyone CRAZY in a stupid Prius??

Has it occurred to ANY liberal in the world that you get hit by a truck or a bus on a tiny little car, you have a MUCH higher change of being crushed than in a larger vehicle?

Has it occurred to ANY liberal in the world that some people are 6 feet tall or taller and they need leg room and head room and do not wnat to be in a small can of sradines (ie. Prius, Yaris, Honda Fit, etc)?

Has it occurred to ANY liberal in the world that people do NOT need to justify having the car they WANT???

Has it occurred to ANY liberal in the world that people need vehicles that are used for work (ie. Realtors do NOT want to squeeze clients into a Yaris and have the clients be anxious to go home after riding in a Yaris looking for a house or construction workers need TRUCKS to do their work)?

Has it occurred to ANY liberal in the world that the "go green crowd" in Hollywood and DC (aka/ Al Gore, John Kerry, Sean Penn, etc etc) ALL ride around in SUVs or limos, fly in PRIVATE jets spending tons of fuel, etc etc??? WHAT liberal in the world drives a Prius daily?? When has Al Gore spent less than $11,000 a month in electricity for his house in TN??

I know liberals in Berkley, San Francisco, Boulder, Madison, WI.... all rich people who live in Ivory towers and abort their kids do not have families to transport or these rich elitist liberals do not have to work and forget regular people need fule-spending trucks with V-8 engines to get their work done.

I know you liberals don't care if Americans have to drive their kids around in a Yaris or if Construction people have to pay $3/gallon for gas so they can get to work and build your million-Dollar homes (like John Edwards' new house), but hey, we regular people DESPISE your mentality... keep that in mind when you see the results in 2008.

So please cut the crap and let's ALL move on to more serious forums. This is obviosuly a ridicualous thread started by some liberal quack.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 AM

68,350 posts, read 54,502,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
The American automakers aren't American anymore. GM, for one, has moved most of its production down to Mexico. Can anyone say Flint, MI?

For many years prior to that a number of GM cars were built in Canada, were they American cars? Or Hyundais built in Alabama? BMWs built in Souuth Carolina? Etc.?

Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
N-G - I am a damned Yankee Liberal Environmentalist and I drive a pre-SUV. Namely a '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagon I bought for $2,500. It has 176 K miles and gets better than 24 mpg on a flat expressway. I also have an older Subaru that gets about the same mileage but lets me travel at normal dry road speed in the snow.

If you just substitute “rich white conservative Republican suburbanite” for “liberal”, your comment makes more sense. Most of my liberal friends cannot afford new anything, let alone $30,000 SUV’s.

The prevalence of huge SUV’s is the result of a fear mongering advertising campaign by the auto companies to let them sell gussied up trucks with roofs by convincing frightened mommies that they and their kids would be safer in a huge clumsy truck. Yeah – upside down in a ditch because they never leaned how to drive and the fancy barge would make them safe. This has made a lot of money for the companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies