Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Did You Buy an SUV?
I Have a Large Family to Haul Around. 22 16.30%
I Feel Safer in a Higher-Profile Vehicle. 26 19.26%
Our Weather Mandates Four-Wheel Drive. 15 11.11%
My Career Requires That I Own One. 8 5.93%
I Have a High-Income and am Not Concerned about Rising Fuel Prices. 23 17.04%
I Just Prefer the Way They Look and Their Overall Styling 19 14.07%
I'm Actually Regretting Buying One Now 4 2.96%
I Inherited It, Won It, Found It, etc. 2 1.48%
I Don't Truly Know Why/Impulse Purchase 1 0.74%
Shut Up You Stupid Tree-Hugging Yankee Liberal! 53 39.26%
Other 28 20.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 PM

322 posts, read 1,235,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LOL Yeah, southerners dont know the first thing about driving in anything other than dry pavement.

Also, your Tahoe is 4WD, not AWD. AWD is permanent, cannot be disengaged. 4WD offers Hi and Lo settings and can be switched off to make the vehicle RWD. Theres your lesson for the day. LOL j/k
Yes, the Tahoe has the push button 4WD..... The Yukon...AWD (and also offers hi and low settings, towing.hauling settings) and the pick-up also push button 4WD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 02:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
tahiti, you might want to change cars if he doesnt want it stolen... the Accord and Camry are often the most stolen cars in the USA. Thieves make a killing stripping them and selling off the parts because theyre so popular. Your chances of having an Accord stolen are higher than that of a Porsche or Ferrari. Seriously.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,712,398 times
I LOVE my '07 Yukon Denali. It's comfortable, it sits up high, I can easily hall clients around, and it has enough space to be able to haul different items that an economy car wouldn't.

I don't know why some people hate SUV's so much. It's my decision what to buy, I'm paying the $$ for it and nobody else should be able to tell me different.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Noone can tell you to not buy it, thats your preference, which is 100% AOK by me. I just question the logic behind it, thats all. For the price of the Denali, you could have gotten a nice BMW 5 series that will haul 5 and is alot more economical. BUt thats jsut my opinion, dont be offended.

My fave bumper sticker of all time is on my friends' weekend-only monster truck. It reads:

God invented asphalt so the yuppies can go off-roading.

LMBO!!!!!!!

Oh, off-topic but what the heck... he also has one that says: Barbie called, she wants her Jeep back.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,712,398 times
Quote:

Noone can tell you to not buy it, thats your preference, which is 100% AOK by me. I just question the logic behind it, thats all. For the price of the Denali, you could have gotten a nice BMW 5 series that will haul 5 and is alot more economical. BUt thats jsut my opinion, dont be offended.
I bought the Yukon because it can haul more people, sits up higher, and well...it's just what I wanted. BMW's are VERY nice, some of my friends have them and they will NEVER trade it for anything but another BMW. I would LOVE to have one of the new 3-Series Convertibles (I'll think about it after the Porsche clunks out) but I don't think I'd want one as a daily driver.

SUV's rule the road in Phoenix and it makes me feel MUCH safer than driving a smaller car. Yes it gets bad gas mileage but that's what you pay for peace of mind.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:41 PM

592 posts, read 2,811,480 times
Default I know I'll take a beating for this...

But, I don't really care. It is America, I choose to drive a Ford F-350 Crew Cab, full size box with the International 7.3 litre diesel. I choose to drive what I want, when I want, for as long as I want. Oh, and of course, the gas sipping compact cars won't pull my 25 foot gooseneck 14,000 pound trailer either. The funny thing is, it gets better mileage than my lovely brides mini Ford ranger.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:09 PM

2,639 posts, read 7,441,647 times
Default Why I have one

I have my '99 cherokee sport (smaller suv) since I got it from my parents on my birthday when I was in HS, so I don't have to make any payments. In a couple of months, I'm going to be trading it in for Chevy Cobalt SS because I'm spending too much $ on gas and I don't really need that much space. If all of my clients can't fit (if taking 4 people out), I'll have a couple in with me and have them follow.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 PM

286 posts, read 1,588,104 times
Default Disappointed with the survey choices

There are those of us that keep a 4WD around because we need them for working around the homefront (ie, farm). I keep an older half ton Chevy 4x4 that also has a plow.

That said, we also drive our array of foreign cars to save on gas. We have a retired Honda Civic (45+mpg), Toyota Camry (30-35+mpg), and Toyota Previa mini van (30-35mpg) as daily commuters.

While I personally think we all have our God given rights to drive whatever it is we want to pay for, we also have a responsibility to reduce our useage of fossil fuels .. not only because we are the most consuming in the world as a nation, but also because of the overall affect on the planet. Sorry, just MHO.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I have my '99 cherokee sport (smaller suv) since I got it from my parents on my birthday when I was in HS, so I don't have to make any payments. In a couple of months, I'm going to be trading it in for Chevy Cobalt SS because I'm spending too much $ on gas and I don't really need that much space. If all of my clients can't fit (if taking 4 people out), I'll have a couple in with me and have them follow.
The SS isnt that great on gas. Its supercharged you know... those with a heavy right foot can expect gas mileage in the teens. My friend has the turbo SRT-4 and gets horrid gas mileage. It doesnt help that its heavily modified either.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 PM

612 posts, read 2,780,366 times
I have a Navigator because I like it and because I routinely haul around lawn mowers and building stuff. Oh yeah, it hauled about 700 pounds of travertine tile the other night too. My Volvo could never do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies