Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times

Advertisements

This is just something I've thought about for a couple of weeks, and I thought I'd pass it along. I even googled the subject line, and came up with several good articles, the best, I guess, from wikipedia, here: The Star-Spangled Banner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'm sure there are others as good, or better.

But my main focus is a simple question: When was the last time you heard the National Anthem played on radio or television, sports events excluded? I can remember when radio and television signed off at midnight and the anthem was played then. With the advent of 24/7 radio and television play these days, though, I can't say when was the last time I heard it. I wonder if the new diversity czar will make sure it's never, ever heard again, but maybe the Venezualan anthem, or some other country he adores will take its place? Cuba? Iran? Al Qaeda as a group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 01:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
This is just something I've thought about for a couple of weeks, and I thought I'd pass it along. I even googled the subject line, and came up with several good articles, the best, I guess, from wikipedia, here: The Star-Spangled Banner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'm sure there are others as good, or better.

But my main focus is a simple question: When was the last time you heard the National Anthem played on radio or television, sports events excluded? I can remember when radio and television signed off at midnight and the anthem was played then. With the advent of 24/7 radio and television play these days, though, I can't say when was the last time I heard it. I wonder if the new diversity czar will make sure it's never, ever heard again, but maybe the Venezualan anthem, or some other country he adores will take its place? Cuba? Iran? Al Qaeda as a group?
My dad is president of the Little League so when I go to catch games and help out, I hear it before every game and every tournament. I also hear it at many sporting events, horse shows, livestock fairs etc etc during the summer and spring. I will also hear it twice tomorrow because our airport is having a public tour/airport day. I guess it's pretty common where I am.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My dad is president of the Little League so when I go to catch games and help out, I hear it before every game and every tournament. I also hear it at many sporting events, horse shows, livestock fairs etc etc during the summer and spring. I will also hear it twice tomorrow because our airport is having a public tour/airport day. I guess it's pretty common where I am.
Glad to hear this. However, again, I was referring to play on radio or television, you know, what the diversity czar wants to control, absolutely.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Glad to hear this. However, again, I was referring to play on radio or television, you know, what the diversity czar wants to control, absolutely.
I heard it on the radio just last week.... I think it was NPR. As for TV, again...sporting events.

There are so many radio stations and tv stations, one could be playing it and you would never even know it... nobody is trying to keep the Star Spangled Banner off of the tv or radio.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:08 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
I saw it during the NBA finals this year and whenever someone butchers it. I think it has less to do with "czars" and more to do with what most people want to see and hear: "the actual game/event." I've only really seen it on the "big" games/events. And it's been that way for as long as I can remember it.

I've almost never heard it outside of those contexts. I do however salute the American flag everyday, so I could care less about hearing a glorified drinking song every day.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 PM

480 posts, read 877,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
nobody is trying to keep the Star Spangled Banner off of the tv or radio.
Exactly. Is there no end to these ridiculous conspiracy theories?

And I ask this in all honesty, not to be sarcastic. Do Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh play the Star Spangled Banner?

I seem to remember Ann Landers advocating for changing the national anthem, as the Star Spangled Banner is a very difficult song to sing. It can be the most beautiful song in the world by the right person, but it pains me to hear it sung by someone with a terrible voice (e.g. Roseanne Barr).

Tears come to my eyes when I hear it played during the Olympics, as I feel enormous national pride. It's a beautiful sybol of this nation.

Just the opinion of a liberal American.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:19 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Those who feel somehow deprived of sufficient opportunity to hear or even sing the National Anthem should perhaps exercise some of that good old right-wing Personal Responsibility® stuff and either play or sing it themselves. How hard can this actually be?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Those who feel somehow deprived of sufficient opportunity to hear or even sing the National Anthem should perhaps exercise some of that good old right-wing Personal Responsibility® stuff and either play or sing it themselves. How hard can this actually be?
One-up on ya, nerd, I do have it, and I do sing it. But you clowns still haven't answered the question, have you? You silly, ya know?

Last edited by Delta Planter; 09-25-2009 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:

This morning at 330am.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
One-up on ya, nerd, I do have it, and I do sing it. But you clowns still haven't answered the question, have you? You silly, ya know?
You mean THIS question???

I wonder if the new diversity czar will make sure it's never, ever heard again, but maybe the Venezualan anthem, or some other country he adores will take its place? Cuba? Iran? Al Qaeda as a group?

It's much too silly to deserve any answer as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies