Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You don't read very well, do you? I said those who watch Beck for anything other than humor value.

I've never seen his show. But I've seen plenty of clips of his absolute asinine stupidity. He plays the extremist right for the fools they are. Anybody who's watching him for information - they're not very bright.
Well, not very bright is certainly nicer than stupid.

I wonder what would happen if you watched him for about a week and saw something other than bites from the left leaners. You may even be converted. The one from Monday was an excellent one about mothers who fear for their kids in present day US. About 50 of them sitting town hall style in the studio giving vent to what really bothers them. I think that if enough mothers saw that one he would have all kinds of converts, even from the left leaning side.

Really you ought to try him a few times before you rant about what has been poked at you by lefties. He does make mistakes and usually recants at the firs opportunity. However, people who go along with Duke and meson won't ever really know that that happens.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 AM

183 posts, read 115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So I guess this will be your answer to everything?

If you told me you personally met JFK when you visited Washington in 1964 and I said it was impossible because he was assassinated in 1963, how is that distorting the facts?

This isn't a matter of credibility. It's a matter of stating the facts. Glenn Beck said that Vancouver lost millions hosting the Olympic games and the games begin in 2010. So it's impossible. There is no argument here. If after the games the city finds itself in the red, then we can talk about it. You can't report about something that hasn't happened as if it already did. I remember when he reported that Michelle Obama ordered room service and spent a fortune on a fancy meal while staying at the Waldorf in New York. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it turned out she wasn't even in New York on that day. Again, there are opinions and there are facts. When someone changed actual facts or simply fabricates them, those are called lies.

"The Olympic village is a billion-dollar project, and the city taxpayers are on the hook for all of it." — Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson

Winter Olympics 2010: Vancouver's billion-dollar debt | WOMBLES

Good news: The $1.3 billion in infrastructure and other costs, including some serious cost overruns reported in the past, are mostly accounted for in its general budget. This means we get to start paying for these now.
This is starting to sound like the way the Gov’t has handled my favorite company – ICBC.

They should have hired Calgary to look after the management.
Best of all is that nobody is responsible for reporting to the public on the overall cost of the Games.
If you have a link to any finance reporting on the games, I’d be very happy to get it… the Province seems to be the only one privy to any details.

Your estimate of what the final tally?
My guess is $3 Billion in debt. $1.5 Billion if we’re lucky.

Vancouver Will Pass Montreal In Olympic Debt | Vancouver Secrets

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
White House Calls Out Fox And Glenn Beck On Olympics

RHETORIC: BECK SAID VANCOUVER LOST $1 BILLION WHEN IT "HAD THE OLYMPICS." Glenn Beck said, "Vancouver lost, how much was it? they lost a billion dollars when they had the Olympics." [Transcript, Glenn Beck Show, 9/29/09]

REALITY: VANCOUVER'S OLYMPICS WILL NOT TAKE PLACE UNTIL 2010. Vancouver will host the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games from February 12 - 28, 2010 and March 12-21, 2010, respectively. [Vancouver2010.com, accessed 9/29/09]

Read more at: White House Calls Out Fox And Glenn Beck On Olympics

Poor dumb Beck.

Too bad none of his viewers will care if it's true or not.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
beck, dumbass, olympics in vancouver havent happened yet.
The truth is irrelevant to these people. When you point it out to them they just change the argument, or attack the messenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
You seem honest I guess we'll just take your word for it.

See what I mean?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The truth is irrelevant to these people. When you point it out to them they just change the argument, or attack the messenger.

See what I mean?
The o.p. provided no link to substantiate the quote.
Sorry not all of us buy into anecdotal information.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times
Beck is a bloviating Imbecile.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
I personally am not that crazy about Beck, I don't like all the theatrics he goes through while he's talking. This thread though is so typical of what happens with him and others on FOX. The OP calls him a "dumbass" and others have started to pile on already with insults when it sounds like the comment might be getting taken out of context. I see comments about hate spewing from FOX and Beck on here all the time. I watch FOX, CNN, network news and even MSNBC occasionally and I think all the name calling, insulting, exaggerating and false accusations that come from both sides, are completely uncalled for and only complicate the real issues that need to be resolved. It's like having to listen to fans from two teams that are heavy rivalries argue and fight with each other over who's team is better. I think a lot of people are so busy thinking of a "come back" for what someone on the other team said, they never stop to think about the real point the person was trying to make....and it goes back and forth....both ways.

Last edited by Danno3314; 10-01-2009 at 02:36 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 03:01 AM

183 posts, read 115,073 times
Quote:

No time to google Vancouver Olympics?

It's a financial catastrophe that has resulted in funding being cut off mid-project by the US banks that were involved and the loss of Vancouver's AAA credit rating.

http://www.vancouver sun.com/Sports/...886/story.html

Vancouver Will Pass Montreal In Olympic Debt | Vancouver Secrets

Winter Olympics 2010: Vancouver's billion-dollar debt | WOMBLES

Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You really have a distorted world view, don't you? Do you picture a wholesale slaughter going on in Chicago?

I honestly have no clue how some people get their notions. Is it fear of certain people?

Chicago could have triple the crime rate of the safest large city in the US, and the chances of a particular visitor being the victim of crime would go from imperceptibly small to very nearly imperceptibly small.

What a fearful life.
When two people debate/argue and one over emphasizes, the other tends to under estimate and reality is usually some where in the middle. I don't know where some people get there notions but, violence in Chicago (particularly among youths in inner-city neighborhoods) was the topic of Anderson Cooper 360 last night on CNN.

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - What’s fueling Chicago’s violence? « - Blogs from CNN.com

It's not about the chances of someone becoming a victim while visiting Chicago.....it's about an exceptionally unusual and large amount of people from other countries visiting Chicago all at once because of the olympics. Anytime a large volume of people gather for an event security is a major issue. When it involves foreigners visiting, it's even more so because, depending upon the media even a small incident can end up becoming international news.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:07 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
He knows that. He corrected that tonight. He meant Calgary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies