Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That's good because McCain et al, have been leasing out land adjacent to the Grand Canyon for Uranium Mining. So it will be another radioactive wasteland memorial to the republicans
To the best of my knowledge, that's not true at all. You got a link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Does the reason matter other than excuse making?
To be considered "effective and efficient" you have to be fluid in operation to keep with the times.

"I went to my mailbox today and there was mail in it" is hardly testimony to efficient operation in light of the fact that the USPS has a 7 billion dollar deficit!!!

This thread is more messed up than a liberals checkbook.
Oh liberal liberal liberal....don't know why everything is so black and white for some people. Learn to think for yourself someday.

I can almost guarantee if the USPS increased postage fees to offset the budge deficit which is caused by decreases in pieces of mail delivered, you'd probably be on here complaining about that.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,319,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Oh liberal liberal liberal....don't know why everything is so black and white for some people. Learn to think for yourself someday.

I can almost guarantee if the USPS increased postage fees to offset the budge deficit which is caused by decreases in pieces of mail delivered, you'd probably be on here complaining about that.
But I do think for myself, the problem as you see it, is I don't think like you.

The USPS has a monopoly and isn't even close to breaking even... you haven't a clue.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,030,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post

Can you imagine the price of a stamp to make up for a $7 Billion deficit since there is less mail delivered. Would definatly make UPS and Fed Ex a great deal. The government sucks at trying to keep costs down.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
I've always been a big fan of the Smithsonians...

Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
But I do think for myself, the problem as you see it, is I don't think like you.

The USPS has a monopoly and isn't even close to breaking even... you haven't a clue.
Maybe I don't have a clue but I don't think you know what you're talking about either. Yeah, I was probably off by saying you can just raise postage rates to offset the deficit. But your earlier assumptions that the USPS effectiveness can only be measured by its management of operating costs without analyzing external factors is a bit preposterous.

The internet (email, paperless billing, e-advertisements, etc) has radically changed our reliance on the USPS. However, people still expect to receive their mail daily and be able to go to the post office or mail boxes and drop off mail. If the USPS decided to deliver mail 3 days a week, raise stamp prices to $1 and close half the post offices around the country, people would be up in arms. My point being, people have certain expectations of the USPS that might not be realistic today if it is going to operate within budget.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
To the best of my knowledge, that's not true at all. You got a link?
Link

Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
initially the WTW program was fantastic. moved huge numbers of people off welfare.
then they administratively changed the program from a conditional reward program to an entitlement program by means of massive discretionary "good cause" decisions by admin.
which reduced it to a give away program at a much higher cost than AFDC.
A good way for the GOP to win forgiveness from America for its shutdown is to propose a new WTW program that would provide jobs and student loans for the teen sons and daughters of welfare recipients.

The benefit for society will be greater than the cost once we get these youth off of our streets and into our schools or apprenticing in the trades.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
A good way for the GOP to win forgiveness from America for its shutdown is to propose a new WTW program that would provide jobs and student loans for the teen sons and daughters of welfare recipients.

The benefit for society will be greater than the cost once we get these youth off of our streets and into our schools or apprenticing in the trades.
There are already many public-private resources for youth of all economic levels. Low intrest loans, grants and public-private scholarship are availible. Whole high schools are being revamp into carriers based schools. Job training, mentorship, and apprenticeship for credit at busisnesses with steady work and good pay.

Federal, state, county, and municipal government partnerships with leading corporations for training and placement.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:13 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

They already get subsidized loans and grants. I'll bet you also think we should have student loan forgiveness. Jeez folks... when are ya'll gonna realize. We're broke. Giving away things we can't afford with money you don't have....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies