Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I gave a link to a report on the Veterans Admin's health care system... seems to be working well.
As someone who has worked at the VA and constantly hears complaints from VA patients (about the wait, no one spending time with them, etc), I would beg to differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
They already get subsidized loans and grants. I'll bet you also think we should have student loan forgiveness. Jeez folks... when are ya'll gonna realize. We're broke. Giving away things we can't afford with money you don't have....
First of all, you're getting into "slippery slope" territory. Secondly, we're never broke when it comes to the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As someone who has worked at the VA and constantly hears complaints from VA patients (about the wait, no one spending time with them, etc), I would beg to differ.
You work in health care as do I. How many times have you heard the above in your own practice? I couldn't even count them, could you? (Esp. re: the wait)

Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Here in British Columbia we have government run health care that is far more efficient than anything in the US, we also have government run auto insurance, cheaper and more efficient than anything in the US, BC hydro, again cheaper and more efficient than private electrical facilities.

We also have subsidized university education, which makes it far more affordable for many students.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:43 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
First of all, you're getting into "slippery slope" territory. Secondly, we're never broke when it comes to the military.

The fact is we are broke. Doesn't matter what the government is wanting to fund. Doesn't matter what social program's we need. Doesn't matter if its the military, education, transportation. We're broke. Pure fiscal mismanagement all the way around. And until someone somewhere figures out how to fix this mess throwing more mismanaged programs and government red tape isn't going to help do a dog-gone thing.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
The fact is we are broke. Doesn't matter what the government is wanting to fund. Doesn't matter what social program's we need. Doesn't matter if its the military, education, transportation. We're broke. Pure fiscal mismanagement all the way around. And until someone somewhere figures out how to fix this mess throwing more mismanaged programs and government red tape isn't going to help do a dog-gone thing.
I'm not sure that is a fact. Secondly, that seems only to be brought out when social programs are being discussed.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not sure that is a fact. Secondly, that seems only to be brought out when social programs are being discussed.
Come on... you know we're broke. When you can't even pay the bills without raising the limit on your credit card to cover it and being farther in debt tomorrow.... Your broke. It's time to start doing at least one of a few things. Work harder and smarter to make more money (and our politicians are totally incapable of this one). Start selling assets to pay off debt. Start cutting expenses.

We can't spend ourselves out of this one.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:14 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Come on... you know we're broke. When you can't even pay the bills without raising the limit on your credit card to cover it and being farther in debt tomorrow.... Your broke. It's time to start doing at least one of a few things. Work harder and smarter to make more money (and our politicians are totally incapable of this one). Start selling assets to pay off debt. Start cutting expenses.

We can't spend ourselves out of this one.
The problem is not WE are spending money, it is THWY spending our money.

If you give me your credit car and bank account, why should I even care how high it will go. I don't. This is the problem. THEY always said WE. There is not WE, it is THEY.

They don't care because they are already set with lavage pensions and health care

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I'm sorry but what's the point of this thread? Is this a ploy to prove that Big Government is bad? Or that the Big bad government is out to get us? I am tired of the redundancy and ignorance and it smells like tea in here. How about we remove government all together and see how well we do with anarchy? I would name some things but I'm sure they will be attacked because this thread was most likely not created to list things that work but rather to pick apart and bash the house majority and the president (the "big government").

A lot of things don't work because people with power (large corporations and politicians) don't want them to work. Things don't work because the strongest driving force in our goverment is greed. We spend trillions of dollars on war but can't provide healthcare or a starving child (whose parent decided not to abort them despite the circumstances). People are so concerned with some illegal immigrant getting something that they'd let 40,000 uninsured people die to prevent this, all the while, the illegal immigrants are going to the ER and we're paying for it anyway. Another reason why some things don't work, our priorities are screwed.
Agree with everything in this post. Wish I had said it myself....

Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can anyone name and talk about a federal government-run program, over the last 50 years, that works/worked effectively and efficiently? I realize as individuals we can't know everything that's out there but as individuals we might know one program of which other people are unaware. I'm looking for a model program to say, "Well if that works/worked, why don't we do more federal government-run programs that way?"

The criteria should be it accomplished its objective (examples: to decrease crime, the number of poor/homeless/drug users/unemployed/prostitution, illegal immigrants, etc. or to improve something working poorly) and it didn't cost more than what was originally promised/budgeted.

If you can name one, tell us why you think it worked so when other federal government programs are proposed, we can look for the same signs that the new program will be successful in achieving its objective without doing harm and having cost overruns.
The GAO found billions of dollars wasted by government. If the government was run like a business, this wasteful spending would be top priority.

GAO Report: Tens of Billions Blown on Duplicate Programs

Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The problem is not WE are spending money, it is THWY spending our money.

If you give me your credit car and bank account, why should I even care how high it will go. I don't. This is the problem. THEY always said WE. There is not WE, it is THEY.

They don't care because they are already set with lavage pensions and health care

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Point taken. So just who is the They? So maybe the first clue to solving the problems are to pin-point who the bozo "They's" are. And remove them from the equation. First problem solved... next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies