Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times

Advertisements

The GOP and the conservative movement has acted in what would be interpreted as very sexist. I will report the examples and you decide.

Quote:
The demonstration was organized by Phoenix area mothers in response to
Kyl's recent quip during a Senate committee meeting that he doesn't
"need maternity care.
Quote:
In Virginia, gubernatorial candidate Bob McDonnell is drawing fire for
his college thesis, written in 1989 when McDonnell was 34 years old,
in which he seems to call working women detrimental to families.
Quote:
On Tuesday, 30 Republican senators voted against an amendment put
forth by Senator Al Franken (D-Minn.), that would have barred
companies that discourage female employees from filing sexual
harassment suits from securing government contracts.
Arizona Mothers Storm Republican's Senate Office, Denounce GOP as Sexist - soc.retirement | Google Groups

YouTube - Rep Wasserman-Schultz - GOP Have Always Been Anti-Woman

YouTube - O'Reilly - Dems Worried About Bachmann Because She's Hot

YouTube - GOP Says Pelosi Should Be "Put In Her Place"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
My decision is you are wrong.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
My decision is you are wrong.
You did not complete your sentence so allow me to do it for you..."My decision is you are wrong based on nothing but bias, ignorance to the facts and that I see nothing wrong with mysoginy and oppression of women."

Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
When the National GOP states that the first woman speaker of the house needs to be "put in her place" I don't think we need to question if they are sexist. Of course they are.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
McCain's Top Seven Sexist Rants:

Calling His Wife a C*nt
Calling a Young Girl Ugly and Disparaging the Attorney General
Delegation of Female Air Force Pilots
Comparing a US Ally to an Ugly Woman
Rape Joke
Wife Beating Joke
Opposing Equal Roles for Women in the Military

McCain's Top Seven Sexist Rants - Eyes On Obama

Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Is the GOP Sexist?

Well, the entire C-Street scene certainly appeared so.

Al Franken introduced an amendment to protect women in the workplace after a woman was gang-raped in Iraq and then locked in a shipping container. Halliburton told her she'd be fired if she filed a lawsuit. All the "No" votes were Republicans.

What about the Senate hearings for the confirmation of Sonia Sotomayor? What man has ever been questioned about his "temperament?"

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
If you think sexism is refusing to give out special treatment, privileges and protections to females than I guess you could call the GOP sexist.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
In Virginia, gubernatorial candidate Bob McDonnell is drawing fire for
his college thesis, written in 1989 when McDonnell was 34 years old,
in which he seems to call working women detrimental to families.
I guess it would depend on the context but based on just that snippet I'd have to agree with him and don't see what is sexist about it. If I were to say most men can't fulfill the job of raising children as well as women which is also something I believe is that sexist?

The breakdown of the family unit where you have both parents working and kids being raised by strangers especially when they are at a young age is one of the fundamental problems in this country.

Certainly men can and do fill that role but I think overall women can do it better. So when a person says "working women detrimental to families" I think he's 100% accurate. I think if you're going have kids one of the parents should be at home preferably the mother. In this day you really need to look at whats best for the kids and certainly some families do need both parents working. My male cousin for example is stay at home Dad but his wife can make 4X what he can because he worked and put her through school. Then they got married and had a kid. They planned for this which too many couples do not do and made a decision based on finances but I'd be willing to bet she'd rather be at home.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 AM

480 posts, read 878,496 times
Honestly, I don't think the GOP has a patent on sexism. They're not real high on liberal women in power, but they love conservative women in power.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Dem's make this claim because they do not like Conservative woman . the rep named Sandra day oconner to the SC had the first ever woman Secretary of state. Dem's like to say GOP is sexist, just as a talking point, because Dem's do nor like Conservative strong woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies