Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:37 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
Although the pace of states allowing gay marriages is slow right now, I believe it will pick up again soon. It's very unpredictable especially after seeing the overturn of gay marriages in California, Maine's passed gay marriage bill being halted until ballot voting, and the shocking legalization of gay marriages in America's Heartland (Iowa). Also, New Hampshire will begin allowing gay marriages on Jan. 1, 2010.

This thread is just for fun for those who enjoys Politics especially on the topic of gay marriages/gay adoptions in America.

In your opinion, which states will be next to legalize gay marriages?

For me, I think the next states will be New York, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Washington before others will follow in years from now.

I believe the South will eventually be the last ones to allow it based on pressure from other states and also for economic reasons.
It all depends upon how easily you can convince people that marriage is only about fairytale wedding gowns, hospital visitation rights and tax breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
the Federal Government can and does get the states to fall into line on certain issues when it deems it necessary to do so.
While true, the analysis doesn't apply to this issue. The Feds got states to raise the drinking age through their tax/spend power. However, the feds must show that what they are trying to accomplish with that power falls within Congress' limited enumerated power to regulate health, welfare, safety, and morals.

In the example of drinking age, it's clearly within the safety category. The feds can and do withhold federal highway money if states deviate from the drinking age. The feds do something similar with the speed limit...again tied to safety.

I don't think Congress could find such a relationship with gay marriage. Furthermore, the privileges and immunities clause won't force states that ban gay marriage to recognize such marriages from other states. P/I can't compel states from accepting things that they deem illegal as long as no other constitutional issues apply. There is already a situation like this occurring in Texas where a gay couple, legally married in CA, is now trying to divorce. Texas doesn't recognize their marriage and therefore refused to grant a divorce.

The commerce clause is another possibility some throw out there that has a bit more teeth. However, I believe the federal government will continue to be wary of doing anything with this decidedly state issue.

I hope we do see gay marriage sooner rather than later. As a student of the law however, I'm afraid that advocates for gay marriage are severally underestimating the legal/constitutional challenges that lie ahead. For starters, what about the slight majority of states that have passed state constitutional amendments defining marriage as between a man and woman?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 PM

46 posts, read 154,362 times
In the recent election, most voters in Maine voted in favor of repealing the state law that would allow same-sex marriages in the state.

The result was 53% over 47%.

I was somewhat surprised because Maine was supposed to be somewhat liberal since it's one of the New England states.

I guess conservative, religious America isn't ready for gay marriages along some people voting based on the Obama Factor.

At least, New Hampshire will begin allowing gay marriages on January 1, 2010 leaving only Maine and Rhode Island in New England without same-sex marriages.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 PM

Gov. Patterson's long effort to legalize gay marriages in New York failed weeks ago. Unlike Maine, that was unexpected for more liberal blue state like New York. Could that be because of more conservative voters in Upstate New York along with others outside the Big Apple voting against it?

Recently, the District of Columbia voted to legalize gay marriages and it's most likely to happen unless the Congress decides to overturn it within a certain period of time.

My point is that if the Congress doesn't overturn, will Maryland be more likely to follow next along with Delaware and New Jersey perhaps? I highly doubt about Virginia and Pennsylvania would follow.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
Gov. Patterson's long effort to legalize gay marriages in New York failed weeks ago. Unlike Maine, that was unexpected for more liberal blue state like New York. Could that be because of more conservative voters in Upstate New York along with others outside the Big Apple voting against it?

Recently, the District of Columbia voted to legalize gay marriages and it's most likely to happen unless the Congress decides to overturn it within a certain period of time.

My point is that if the Congress doesn't overturn, will Maryland be more likely to follow next along with Delaware and New Jersey perhaps? I highly doubt about Virginia and Pennsylvania would follow.
It passed the Assembly in NY very easily, but the Democrats only have a small 32-30 majority in the State Senate. 8 of the 32 Democrats voted against it, none of the 30 Republicans voted in favor of it. Out of the 8 Democrats who voted against it, 6 of them are actually from NYC (mostly older members), the other two were from upstate

Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
It would be hilarious if Alabama or Georgia suddenly legalized same-sex marriage overnight. Man, those people will be angry.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
Although the pace of states allowing gay marriages is slow right now, I believe it will pick up again soon. It's very unpredictable especially after seeing the overturn of gay marriages in California, Maine's passed gay marriage bill being halted until ballot voting, and the shocking legalization of gay marriages in America's Heartland (Iowa). Also, New Hampshire will begin allowing gay marriages on Jan. 1, 2010.

This thread is just for fun for those who enjoys Politics especially on the topic of gay marriages/gay adoptions in America.

In your opinion, which states will be next to legalize gay marriages?

For me, I think the next states will be New York, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Washington before others will follow in years from now.

I believe the South will eventually be the last ones to allow it based on pressure from other states and also for economic reasons.
That is a hard one to answer, it seems as fast as they are legalized the laws are overturned. Obviously it will be the New England area or mayber Or. Our gay foster daughter lives in OR and she has no intentions of marrying her partner, even when it becomes legal. She still holds the opinion: marriage is between and man and women and is a religious ceremony only.

Nita

Old 12-17-2009, 07:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The states of the Deep South already have banned same-sex marriage. It's a done deal, as far as they're concerned.

File:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I do think eventually it will be a federal law and then the south will have little option but to accept it.

NIta

Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do think eventually it will be a federal law and then the south will have little option but to accept it.

NIta
I totally agree with your post. Unfortunely, the passage of gay marriages throughout America has slowed down at this moment since the legalization of gay marriages in D.C. I wonder why.

I think Maryland will be the next state to allow it if the states of Oregon, Washington, and Rhode Island do not make the first move to legalize it. I think it's silly that Maryland like New York is currently recognizing gay marriages from other states. It's almost the same thing so I don't see why it can't be legal for all residents.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
I totally agree with your post. Unfortunely, the passage of gay marriages throughout America has slowed down at this moment since the legalization of gay marriages in D.C. I wonder why.

I think Maryland will be the next state to allow it if the states of Oregon, Washington, and Rhode Island do not make the first move to legalize it. I think it's silly that Maryland like New York is currently recognizing gay marriages from other states. It's almost the same thing so I don't see why it can't be legal for all residents.
In NY its only a matter of time. Its been held up in the State Senate. The Democrats only recently took control of the State Senate (was long in GOP control) The majority is quite small so if only a couple Democrats vote no (and a few conservative Democrats are in the State Senate) its blocked. My guess is this changes pretty shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies