Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,457,144 times

Advertisements

first of all, Lieberman isn't on the Finance committee so he is not going to be voting yet at all. Secondly, he was asked if he "supports" the Baucus bill, to which he responded "no, not at this time" or similar, however that is not his "vote".

Who knows what will happen, but I wouldn't start celebrating this "victory" for you folks on the right until he actually casts his vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Very few are concerned about the blocking a filibuster, the bill will be passed in reconciliation. Filibuster away.

But having said that, I wouldn't vote for the Baccus bill as it stands now and neither will many progressive Democrats.
For there to be reconciliation there have to be bills passed by both houses. If a filibuster prevents passage of a Senate bill there will be nothing to reconcile.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i can't believe that most americans are willing to line up behind a bill that requires MANDATORY health insurance or face a penalty if you do not buy it. this is, in effect, a tax on younger and / or healthy people to subsidize the costs of others. i would think this is a winner for the insurance companies. i see that insurance company stocks are rising on a likely passage.
The report issued yesterday by the insurance companies meant to scare
Americans about higher insurance premiums was precipitated by the fact that the finance panel lowered the fines for not having insurance. They want higher fines imposed on people that won't cover themselves so they'll be forced into buying insurance. I want mandatory insurance because I have relatives that make statements such as: "I'm not going to buy insurance, I'll just use the emergency room", further driving up costs.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,461 times
Excellent..good for Joe and good for us...

Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 AM

301 posts, read 208,687 times
Olympia Snow (R) will be voting YES!!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
So Senator Loserman votes No, good I don't want the Baucus Bill, I want Single Payer or nothing

Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
If they were really serious, they would do reform in small pieces and get a majority of support.

Focus on those issues that are causing the problems.

But no, that would be reasonable and logical.
and that is exactly what should be done!!!

Nita

Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So Senator Loserman votes No, good I don't want the Baucus Bill, I want Single Payer or nothing
Do you have any idea how childess it is to call people stupid names? It appears people like you are still in the 5th grade. Instead of making a point you discredit yourself...

I would hate to see how you would do on the program "are you smarter than a 5th grader?"

Nita

Old 10-13-2009, 12:10 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
Sad that folks are applauding the posiiblity of us not getting reform. I'm sure folks will say that they don't want this type of reform but the problem is Republicans have had power for the majority of the last 40 years and have NEVER made a real attempt at reforming healthcare. Republicans simply dont care and don't want reform. They want their insurance company campaign money.
Dems do not need the Republicans they can pass it on their own

Old 10-13-2009, 12:11 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The first vote is in!
That is OK. We have Olympia Snowe. Don't need traitor Joe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies