Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
PGH C'mon bro, where has anyone insinuated that poster was racist because he called them punks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Why would you compare those young men to 'punks'? They were neatly dressed and in no way came across as 'punks', 'thugs', or anything remotely 'sketchy'.

Well, I suppose they were black, so theres that.......
They were called a punk, and since they couldnt be calling them a punk because they were neatly dressed, the only possible rationality was because the individuals were black.

THATS a racist accusation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 AM

450 posts, read 502,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Was that ever in doubt?

Then I say that says more about you than the individuals who walked past.
If you read my post earlier PGH you'll know that through all the negatives and violence we tend to see on TV and in real life regarding young blacks. You easily get a perception that 99% of them are that way

Hey if I read stories or see on TV constantly of PIT BULLS mauling and killing little kids, elderly,etc...
I tend to believe or stereotype that all Pitbulls are dangerous.
Don't you?
The same can be said for blacks (and im not comparing us to pitbulls, just using as an analogy)

So again I understand the stereotypes and negative feelings many people have towards many blacks.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Quote:
maybe one made such an assumption because they appeared like they were going to just punch the lights out of someone first, then ask questions later.

The guy could have been the girls step dad, her uncle, her teacher..

Bravo for stepping in, but I would have been more than likely to step asside, call the police, and follow the man so the police knew where to find him but thats more than likely because I tend to not travel in groups. Punching a man without knowing whats going on? yeah, that might be a definition of a "punk"

Its rather pathetic to assume another poster is racist for not making any racist comments..

I don't think that makes them 'punks' -- I think that makes them men.

A real man does not allow an abduction to happen for fear of embarassing himself. A real man protects the vulnerable whether they know them or not. And quite frankly, I don't know where you think those guys were going to beat the crap out of the potential abductor. I think they would have apprehended him until the police arrived. If that involved throwing the guy to the ground and sitting on him - then so be it. After all, look how long Jacee Dugard spent imprisoned in the backyard of her abductor. Or how many months Elizabeth Smart was forced to live with hers.....In both of those cases 'normal people' were in contact with them and thought something seemed off, but didn't do anything at all. And why? Because they didn't want to get involved or they didn't want to be wrong. They took the abductors word for it that the girl was his daughter.
No, these young men in the video did exactly the right thing - and as I said before, I hope my son grows up to be a man like them.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Quote:
They were called a punk, and since they couldnt be calling them a punk because they were neatly dressed, the only possible rationality was because the individuals were black.

I'll stand by it.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Thats not a racist accusation? You're dead wrong....

Like I said you could tell me that all blacks are punks and I wouldn't accuse you on being racist.

Only if you were to say to me I hate ALL blacks even Obama (and model black citizens like him Oprah, Bill Cosby, etc....) and you want them to leave America.
That's racist

Anything short of that isn't racism to me

Old 10-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:

A real man does not allow an abduction to happen for fear of embarassing himself. A real man protects the vulnerable whether they know them or not. And quite frankly, I don't know where you think those guys were going to beat the crap out of the potential abductor. I think they would have apprehended him until the police arrived. If that involved throwing the guy to the ground and sitting on him - then so be it. After all, look how long Jacee Dugard spent imprisoned in the backyard of her abductor. Or how many months Elizabeth Smart was forced to live with hers.....In both of those cases 'normal people' were in contact with them and thought something seemed off, but didn't do anything at all. And why? Because they didn't want to get involved or they didn't want to be wrong. They took the abductors word for it that the girl was his daughter.
No, these young men in the video did exactly the right thing - and as I said before, I hope my son grows up to be a man like them.
Great points Camping!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
So "men" walk up and assume things are taking place that arent, (like the video shows), "men" can only react in a way that is agressive, and illegal? Really, thats what you are saying? That REAL MEN punch people FIRST, then ask questions? Not in my neighborhood but I never want to see you complaining about cop abuse because after all, most cops are men, and you just excused them for "punching first"
Quote:
A real man does not allow an abduction to happen for fear of embarassing himself. A real man protects the vulnerable whether they know them or not..
A real man first makes sure the individual is being abducted, or verifies that they are at least vulnerable. Thats what what happened here..
Quote:
I don't know where you think those guys were going to beat the crap out of the potential abductor.
The man in the video obviously thought thats what was going to take place, he started pointing out the cameras and police officers rather quickly, backing off, raising his hands, thats all a sign of someone who thinks they are about to get beat the crap out of..
Quote:
I think they would have apprehended him until the police arrived. If that involved throwing the guy to the ground and sitting on him - then so be it.
And if they were wrong, that the individual was the girls father, and it wasnt a tv show, they could have been charged with assault, false imprisonment, and even worse, helping what could be a runaway girl escape again.
Quote:
If you are teaching your children to assume and then act, rather than finding out facts, then be prepared to visit your sons in prison.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
Thats not a racist accusation? You're dead wrong....

Like I said you could tell me that all blacks are punks and I wouldn't accuse you on being racist.

Only if you were to say to me I hate ALL blacks even Obama (and model black citizens like him Oprah, Bill Cosby, etc....) and you want them to leave America.
That's racist

Anything short of that isn't racism to me
If it wasnt a racist accusation, then pointing out the RACE of the individuals as the reason they were called "punks" would not be even entering campings mind. The other poster could have called them punks for traveling in groups or a number of other reasons. the only reason for the "punk" comment in campings mind was "they were black"..

racism isnt defined by wanting people to leave america, you should really lookup the definition before posting again.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
If it wasnt a racist accusation, then pointing out the RACE of the individuals as the reason they were called "punks" would not be even entering campings mind. The other poster could have called them punks for traveling in groups or a number of other reasons. the only reason for the "punk" comment in campings mind was "they were black"..

racism isnt defined by wanting people to leave america, you should really lookup the definition before posting again.
PGH you always take only one part of an overall point and make your arguments with that
Im not saying that racism is only define by wanting Blacks to leave America.
If a person HATES a certain race AND want them away from America to me thats racism

I think Campings was merely jabbing at that poster not accusing him of being racist

Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
So "men" walk up and assume things are taking place that arent, (like the video shows), "men" can only react in a way that is agressive, and illegal? Really, thats what you are saying? That REAL MEN punch people FIRST, then ask questions? Not in my neighborhood but I never want to see you complaining about cop abuse because after all, most cops are men, and you just excused them for "punching first"

A real man first makes sure the individual is being abducted, or verifies that they are at least vulnerable. Thats what what happened here..

The man in the video obviously thought thats what was going to take place, he started pointing out the cameras and police officers rather quickly, backing off, raising his hands, thats all a sign of someone who thinks they are about to get beat the crap out of..

And if they were wrong, that the individual was the girls father, and it wasnt a tv show, they could have been charged with assault, false imprisonment, and even worse, helping what could be a runaway girl escape again.

If you are teaching your children to assume and then act, rather than finding out facts, then be prepared to visit your sons in prison.
PGH your whole argument makes no sense....The young men didn't assume anything. The little girl said "help thats not my daddy! help!
They reacted to a distress call. Thats not an assumption thats being model Samaritans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies