Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
When the parents don't have time to be with their kids, I can see why the weird thought you just mentioned about become popular.
It is also equally important to educate boys, not just girls. Only bonehead will be proud of being father of kids from different mothers at the age of 18.
Even if the parents spend a lot of time with their kids, it still wouldn't change what they saw at school.

I agree it's important to educate guys as well. I don't see why more of them don't wear condoms. Maybe we need to make a chart and compare the cost of a condom to that of caring for a child for 18 years.

It just baffles me how some teens won't get a cheap back of condoms but they'll take the risk of being saddled down with the cost of a child for 18+ years.

I wish more schools had condom dispensers or some place kids could go and grab free condoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It just baffles me how some teens won't get a cheap back of condoms but they'll take the risk of being saddled down with the cost of a child for 18+ years.
That's just the thing, though - they often aren't saddled with the cost of the child. Often the girl doesn't name the father, or the law does not go after him, or he has no money anyway, or he's in prison.

When it comes right down to it, there just aren't any consequences, so the boys have nothing to fear.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:43 PM

436 posts, read 874,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
so the boys have nothing to fear.
I am afraid of disappointing my teacher who teach me right from wrong.
My 6'3'' cousin is still freaked out of my father's threat to rip his skin off like how he treat the snake.

Adult fatherhood cast significant impact on boys, more than many people think.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:44 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
The FACT also remains that if men wouldn't stick their penis into any willing hole, babies would not be created. Men have as much control over whether they get someone pregnant as women do.
Biologically yes. Sociologically, heck no! The female of pretty much every species of animal on this planet is absolutely the
gatekeeper.
If she ain't willin' it ain't happening!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Biologically yes. Sociologically, heck no! The female of pretty much every species of animal on this planet is absolutely the
gatekeeper.
If she ain't willin' it ain't happening!
Except in cases of rape

Old 10-17-2009, 07:13 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hellooooo -- that chart only goes back to 1996. Was that a deliberate misleading you're trying? Abortion was legal way before 1996. Find the chart showing the rates of welfare from before abortion was legal.
helloooooo, abortion law has nothing to do with it. Abortion laws have been the same from 1996 onward, and the amount of people on welfare has DECREASED. It was the change in WELFARE LAW that made the difference.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Only TANF is limited to 5 years. The rest -- food stamps, WIC, free housing, Medicaid and SSI go on indefinitely.
NO. Not true.

Next.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:16 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Isn't this more of hussein obama's old territory? What happened to all his community organizing? This is the fruits of a more liberal country. Beautiful huh?
How do I respond to this idiotic post without it being a personal attack?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nothing to do with Obama, nothing to do with Christiainty. Anyone care to guess again?
that green stuff they put in the river on st patrick's day?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I wish birth control education were the panacea that some wish to believe it is, but it isn't. I worked for a year in an abortion clinic (please, no stoning) where we also provided birth control counseling. We diligently explained everything, invited questions, drilled the girls to see that they "understood," and passed out oral contraceptives, condoms, and prescriptions for refills like it was all cheap candy. Nonetheless, there was a very high repeat abortion rate. I remember on so many occasions, opening up a girl's chart to write my nursing note, only to find that the last note entered was mine -- from a few months earlier. When I would question the girls on why they didn't get their oral contraceptive prescription filled (they were given a three month supply for free at our clinic), they would invariably say something along the lines of "before I could get there, I done popped up pregnant again."

Teenagers are children. Children are irresponsible. Children with low IQ, no ambitions, no sense of self, and parents who don't care or are incompetent are at a compounded disadvantage. Sexuality is a heady experience even for an intelligent and responsible adult, much less a child. Unwanted (or, inappropriately wanted) pregnancy and STDs are only a couple of the negative sequelae of having sex. Abortion is a destructive, devastating experience for a girl, even if it relieves her of the stress and perhaps equally destructive experience of having a baby before she is prepared to parent it. Even if one is lucky to avoid those particular consequences, sex outside of a committed relationship (for me, that means marriage, period) leads to emotional and psychological damage to both boys and girls.

I am not in favor of making abortion illegal, which technically makes me Pro-Choice. I've gone up against Pro-Life posters in other threads because it's a complicated issue from my perspective, however, I share many of the values of Pro-Lifers. One of those values and beliefs is this: SEX IS NOT FOR KIDS. Sexuality is holy, it is for adults only, it is for people who love each other.

It's true that from time immemorial, teens have been having sex. It's true that teens from conservative backgrounds have sex, too. Sexual desire is powerful and difficult to control. That does not mean society should give in to teen impulses, any more than we allow our children to do other things that are harmful to them and their development, just because they want to do it. Sexuality should be controlled, and it can be controlled, but it takes a community and a family that are united in common moral goals.

When I was in highschool, there were always a few girls who would get pregnant. I'm sure there were many more who were having sex and did not get pregnant, but they kept it a secret and were discreet. There was some sense of shame, which may not have totally prevented the practice but it definitely kept it limited. Fast forward to the next generation, where college students my son's age were having sex with people they just met at a party, in their dorm room , in the presence of their roommate, and not even batting an eye about having an observer. That's what happens when controls disappear -- a free-for-all.

I have to laugh at "progressive" instruction on sexuality, which attempts to create new rules and standards for what is acceptable sexual behavior in modern times -- standards which will be rejected and dismissed anyway by the next generation and labeled hopelessly old-fashioned. Standards like "it's okay to have sex with a stranger if it feels good, because seeking pleasure in and of itself is always okay and nothing to be ashamed of, but it would be insensitive to do it in front of your roommate if your roommate is uncomfortable having to watch." Irresponsibility knows no bounds.

Adults should not be following the lead of children. Who is in charge? Liberal attitudes in effect put the children in charge.
ok, how are you going to make parents enforce these "moral laws"? what is the practical application of this idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies