Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 06:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Reps. Maggart and Lynn Ask State AG to Intervene in Federal Health Care Legislation

Reps. Maggart and Lynn Ask State AG to Intervene in Federal Health Care Legislation | Tennessee Report
I hope the rest of the states are preparing to take the same action, since they're in the same boat (all except Nebraska, that is).

It's an atrocity that our represenatives have committed, and evidence that they have forgotten what's in their job description.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What I find incredibly offensive is the all the "bribes" within the bill to democrats... possibly trillions of dollars (that's right TRILLIONS considering Nebraska will be permanently EXEMPT from paying their bills with everyone picking up the tab)... and the trillions (yes, I said TRILLIONS again) going to pay for fraud, abuse, and unnecessary crap in Medicare advantage (that's what Obama said and I agree) cause Florida, Penn, and NY don't have to be forced out (everyone else will be forced out - I don't even know if that's legal... why does a senior citizen in Virginia have to suffer where the other one benefits from more FEDERAL tax dollars cause they live in a different state... sounds "discriminatory")...

You see there are trillions of dollars at stake because these provisions are "forever"... now, if that meant getting 7 more senators to get along with the bill... couldn't they have "bribed" some GOP to get on board with a few million or billion cause it sure as heck would of been HUGELY more cheap than what the Senate just did... I hope these provisions get taken out... its outright unethical and morally wrong... and more than likely illegal... throwing trillions of dollars away for a small number of votes that could of been gotten for way, way, WAY cheaper...
I suspect you are not aware that the Medicaid expansion costs in ALL States will be paid for with Federal money until 2017. The big "bribes" in this area that are upsetting people so, I suspect will change significantly over the years. I doubt it will be an issue, currently it's just another GOP talking point aimed at public "hot buttons". http://www.politico.com/livepulse/12...caid_deal.html

Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I suspect you are not aware that the Medicaid expansion costs in ALL States will be paid for with Federal money until 2017. The big "bribes" in this area that are upsetting people so, I suspect will change significantly over the years. I doubt it will be an issue, currently it's just another GOP talking point aimed at public "hot buttons". Ben Nelson's Medicaid deal - Live Pulse - POLITICO.com
Then why are states objecting to the mandate? Because once it's in place they will have to raise taxes on their residents to pay for the program!

And that's not an issue? It's just a "GOP talking point?"

It's nice to know that you don't think it's an issue that the expansion of Medicaid in ALL states will be paid for with Federal money until 2017. Nice to know that the Feds are going to pay for it, and that taxpayers won't have to.

Did you read the link about the Tennessee action?
The bill would force Tennessee to expand the state’s Medicaid program by lowering the poverty level amount, adding tens of thousands to the Medicaid program, potentially costing the citizens of the state $1.4 billion dollars in additional state taxpayer funds annually. That's $1.4B every year, forever.

Lynn and Maggart noted that the passage of this bill is imminent so it is important that the AG prepare now to take immediate action, and they referenced Governor Bredesen’s recent comment that “we can’t print money.” The great issue for the states is that states are not allowed to borrow money for operations expenses. “Obviously, this is something that many in Washington just don’t understand,” stated Lynn.

This hits all the states, except for the sweet handout to Nebraska in exchange for Nelson's vote. BTW, I hear the Governor of Nebraska is furious about this handout, and Nelson has said that he is "willing to give it back" if that's what the Governor wants.

Everybody, everywhere, should be emailing and calling Congress these next few days! And not just your own state's reps -- as many of them as possible. Ask them to fix what's broken, and leave the rest alone. We can't afford all the handouts on top of the expenses directly related to coverage of uninsured individuals.

Last edited by swbtoo; 12-22-2009 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
I applaud this step toward reform in terms of those who now will be able to get and keep coverage, the opportunity it presents for slowing the cost growth and wider options available for Insurance. Until our nation addresses the reason we have such a need for Health Care services, we will still have a huge and growing problem.

.................................................. .................................................. .

I feel much the same way as you do. We simply have to advance the cause of health care reform and unless its done now, it isn't going to happen. In six more months, it would be impossible to pass any bill at all because of the congressional election campaigns that will be in full swing.

Is this bill perfect? No, not by a longshot. I'd personally prefer replacing the whole private insurance system with a single-payer system like they have in Canada. However, that is a pipedream because there are no where near enough votes in Congress to do that.

The bill will get many more Americans covered by health insurance. The bill will prevent discrimination against those with pre-existing conditions. The bill will create an insurance exchange that allows people to seek out the cheapest and most effective insurance plans.

The bill is a huge step towards universal health insurance which all modern countries need.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I suspect you are not aware that the Medicaid expansion costs in ALL States will be paid for with Federal money until 2017. The big "bribes" in this area that are upsetting people so, I suspect will change significantly over the years. I doubt it will be an issue, currently it's just another GOP talking point aimed at public "hot buttons". Ben Nelson's Medicaid deal - Live Pulse - POLITICO.com
Yes but Nebraska is FOREVER... that's my main contention with it along with Medicare Advantage for ONLY seniors living in NY, Florida, or Penn... the rest of the seniors get screwed... again FOREVER.... its not a talking point when these things are FOREVER and forever adds up to TRILLIONS...

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Yes but Nebraska is FOREVER... that's my main contention with it along with Medicare Advantage for ONLY seniors living in NY, Florida, or Penn... the rest of the seniors get screwed... again FOREVER.... its not a talking point when these things are FOREVER and forever adds up to TRILLIONS...
You think these FOREVER bribes are actually forever, you haven't been paying attention to what goes on in Congress. Many of these "deals" just seem to disappear. The purpose of many, is just to score political points at home and they rely on the short memory of constituents.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Those in Florida have great Advantge Plans. They're all set. The rest of us shouldn't get upset that we have to pay for seniors in NY, FL and PA. We'll save money in all the other states where seniors get screwed, and that should make up for it.

How many people are going to move to NY, FL and PA? And, maybe, Nebraska when they can no longer afford the taxes and have to go on Medicaid?

I agree with your outrage, evilnewbie. It's unfair and unequal treatment of the seniors as well as all the taxpayers.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
The Senate voted 60-39 to shut down debate on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's original health care proposal, showing once again that Democrats have the minimum number of votes necessary to move the bill over GOP opposition.
FOXNews.com - Senate Advances Health Care Bill, Democrats Aim for Swift Passage

Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM

Part of the rush is that they don't want the public to have time to dissect it.
It's all part of Pelosi's new "unprecedented" transparency.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Those in Florida have great Advantge Plans. They're all set. The rest of us shouldn't get upset that we have to pay for seniors in NY, FL and PA. We'll save money in all the other states where seniors get screwed, and that should make up for it.

How many people are going to move to NY, FL and PA? And, maybe, Nebraska when they can no longer afford the taxes and have to go on Medicaid?

I agree with your outrage, evilnewbie. It's unfair and unequal treatment of the seniors as well as all the taxpayers.
Advantage plans are available in every state. How good they are depends on how much Ins Co competition there is vying for the customers. I live in Florida, have an Advantage plan that costs me $0. Due to my age and health history, I suspect that the Federal Govt subsidy to my Ins Co for my plan is between 1500-2000 per month, I really don't know nor have any way to find out that I know of. My Ins Co for this last year, paid out about $1300 for my prescriptions, this I do know. Quite a handsome profit for my Ins. Co. Is this fair, absolutely not! Should there be reform in the Advantage plan arena? I think so! Are Ins. Cos. resistant to do that? I think so! Are the Republicans who pushed this program thru in 2003, incidentally by making "deals", resistant to do that? I think so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies