Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times

Advertisements

Because the Democrats are being a bunch of wimps. I am deeply disappointed of the Democrats. That's what you get when you vote for them. You get the same crap the Republicans would have done.
I'm still praying that they will come to their senses and the public option will go through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I would argue that being tied to employer health care is worse than a public option, since in the case of employer based healthcare if you lose your job you're screwed at a time when you need healthcare the most.
I disagree. At least with our current system you can choose from the multiple employer provided plans, or choose from one of the many private plans. With single payer you will be stuck with the government's public plan, and no matter which state you go to, or which employer you choose, there will only be one insurance plan, the government single payer plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The employer has plenty of incentive if they can afford plans that are better than the public option. Like offering a higher salary for a position, they will attract more skilled workers. You also didn't answer my question so I have to assume you're for neither and are comfortable with the status quo given your previous post.

And employers dropping forms of private insurance is not a reality despite you stating that it is a reality. You are making a pretty broad assumption and are running with it to prove your point.
If I'm an employer and 0bama signs 0bamaCare into law, I know I will be taxed to pay for 0bamaCare, and if I am also supplying health insurance to my employees for a million or so a year, it will cheaper for me to dump the private insurance. This will be especially bad once 0bama passes his carbon tax, because the costs of doing business will greatly increase, and i will need to make all the cuts that I can.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The president himself stated he wants to sign a universal health care plan during his first term in office, so we know it is what he wants, and why settle for less when you have a super majority, at least until 2010?

0bama wants a health care plan that will eventually eliminate employer health care insurance. Below are more democrats, like 0bama and Barney Frank, stating the same thing, they want to eliminate private health care, and the “Public Option” is the Trojan horse to make it happen. VIDEO>>
http://latest.coolpage.biz/?p=1800

Chicago, Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) admitted that a strategic objective of the 0bama health care plan is to destroy private insurance, because it would not be able to compete. She wants to get us to a single payer, universal health care plan, and the public option is the way to get us there. VIDEO>> Video: Rep. Schakowsky Admits Goal of Healthcare Reform is to Destroy Private Insurance Industry | Verum Serum (http://www.verumserum.com/?p=5118 - broken link)

Kathleen Sebelius, the HHS secretary, does not like the current employer health care option; she too thinks the public option is a way to get us to a single payer system. She says that currently 75% of Americans are on a private plan, and only 25% are on a government plan. She wants to work with what we have now“dismantle” the private sector insurance, and close the gap between those on private health insurance and those on a government plan. VIDEO>>
YouTube - Kathleen Sebelius in 2007: I'm all for a single-payer system...eventually

Russ Feingold also wants a single payer health care plan, he does not think the American people would allow a single payer health care plan to go into law, but he too thinks the democrats could slip in a Trojan horse, the public option, which could develop into universal, single payer health care. VIDEO>>
YouTube - Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI): Ultimate Goal of Health Reform Legislation is Single Payer System

Jacob Hacker also believes that if we can get the Trojan horse of a public option, then we can get to a single payer, universal health care plan.. VIDEO >> Obama’s Health Care Trojan Horse » The Foundry

0bama once said he would have an open debate on health care, with CSPAN televising it all for us to see, but today, they are partisan, and doing it all behind closed doors. VIDEO >>
YouTube - obama C span

The end of line is that 0bama wants universal health care, he wants to eliminate private health care, even if is takes a Trojan horse twenty years to do it; and he has a lot of democrats that feel the same way and say the same thing.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:02 AM

206 posts, read 195,821 times
oops let me correct

I meant to say 1 trillion in tax cuts for the rich under 'W'

we all know the rich need to keep their soon to crumble theocracy 'alive'
so while they go out and buy that Sailboat- someone in the USA cannot see a Doctor

oh well the conservative philosophy of 'freedom' and 'liberty' for the 'chosen few''

Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
So long as I can see a doctor for a reasonable amount of money (say $25) and visit an emergency room, only if needed, for $100, and have expensive surgery (my wife's kidney surgery and follow up operations have cost over $100,000) at an affordable amount (I think we paid about $2,500) I do not care what we call the system.

Given the contrast in administrative overhead I know a government run system will cost less even if we keep physicians, but not necessarily corporate executives, salaries the same.

I do not want my health insurance dependant on an employer. There are many people stuck in their current job to keep their health insurance intact because they cannot afford to pay for their own or they cannot obtain coverage due to a pre-existing condition like surviving a cancer operation. Everybody in the country needs access to medical services regardless of their economic or employment status. Let us provide it.

A universal health care system may come to providing the kind of well paying jobs that are currently restricted to the military suppliers. If we spend less on killing people and defending overseas investors (not all of them ours) we can afford a UHC.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Lightbulb single payer: the way to go

America's insurance industry has morphed into a mutant as ugly as 2008's Wall St. There's no good reason to keep it on life support any longer. Let it go the way of the buggy whip industry.

Single payer!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz affair View Post
oops let me correct

I meant to say 1 trillion in tax cuts for the rich under 'W'

we all know the rich need to keep their soon to crumble theocracy 'alive'
so while they go out and buy that Sailboat- someone in the USA cannot see a Doctor

oh well the conservative philosophy of 'freedom' and 'liberty' for the 'chosen few''
Who builds the sailboat, maybe average Americans working as carpenters in a union shop?

Who employs those people who build the sailboats, maybe some rich guy who built the shop, bought the woodworking equipment and warehouse?

Who builds, creates or supplies the wood, glue, cloth and varnish to the sailboat manufacturer?

Who drives the trucks, or owns the shipping company that delivers the sailboats to these rich people who buy them?

Who performs the maintenance, or tends to the sailboats and maintains the marinas where they are birthed?

Sanctimonious, narrow minded, class warfare bigots will be the death of this country's economy and way of life one day.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
America's insurance industry has morphed into a mutant as ugly as 2008's Wall St. There's no good reason to keep it on life support any longer. Let it go the way of the buggy whip industry.

Single payer!
Why stop there? Why not a government run single payer auto, home, and medical liability insurance? This way, with single payer home insurance, if your home is destroyed by a flood, storm or fire, the government can decide home much your home is worth, and how much of a burden your reimbursement would to the nation, and adjust it accordingly.

Maybe, with single payer home insurance, the government will decide how big a home we should have, and what is considered a "Cadillac" home, and just too expensive so they limit reimbursement compensation, or even decide that your home is a liability to the nation because of where it is built.

Maybe we need with single payer medical malpractice insurance, so that if the doctor chops off the wrong leg, or removes your colon by mistake, the government can decide what is proper compensation, and decides to lower your compensation so you will not be a burden on society.

Compared to all the health insurance out there, Medicare has the highest rate of medical claim refusals. do you think those refusals will be lower in a "public option"? I seriously doubt it, especially when the cost of insuring tens of millions begins to assert itself.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I disagree. At least with our current system you can choose from the multiple employer provided plans, or choose from one of the many private plans.
The stipulation here is that you have a job and will always have a job.

Quote:
With single payer you will be stuck with the government's public plan, and no matter which state you go to, or which employer you choose, there will only be one insurance plan, the government single payer plan.
Do you actually have anything to back up the fact that private insurance is going to disappear?

Quote:
If I'm an employer and 0bama signs 0bamaCare into law, I know I will be taxed to pay for 0bamaCare, and if I am also supplying health insurance to my employees for a million or so a year, it will cheaper for me to dump the private insurance. This will be especially bad once 0bama passes his carbon tax, because the costs of doing business will greatly increase, and i will need to make all the cuts that I can.
Well, you're not an employer for a reason so I guess it doesn't matter. You're also operating under the assumption that individuals want to buy private insurance through an employer instead of being able to choose their own plan outside of the options their employer provides. That's one of the primary problems with the employer health insurance subsidy. It also screws over those who are self-employed since they can't access that subsidy without buying into a larger company.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Boy I hope you're right!

UHC is cheaper. Western Europe covers all their citizens at less than 60% of USA costs.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/files...healthcare.gif

And their health care systems are rated higher than the USA.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies