Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,531,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
When I got my stimulus check of $800 dollars a few years back - I bought a saddle, a very nice saddle - that is the kind of spending that will spur the economy.
Do I dare ask if you actually have a horse? But at least you spent your check whatever it was for something, unlike so many others who didn't. And if you look at the data, the percentage of the Make Work Pay dollars that is actually being spent is up considerably over what the lump sum method saw. Mission accomplished on that score, whether you happen to approve of it or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:47 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,909,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You may have passed the 5th grade but obviously you dont care about the next generation and the next recession that could be caused BY THE STIMULUS.. A decrease in GDP, albeit low, is a decrease and thereby another recession.

Its posters like you which has caused this country problems. Only worry about short term, dont worry about long term, who cares about the debt, give me it today, hell, we could be dead in 10 years, why worry about the GDP decreases or the debt we leave for our children.

p.s. your math isnt that great because adding 4.1% + 3.6% + 1.2% does not give you a 8.9% increase, it gives you a 9.142% increase because its compounded.

According to your thought process, we should be happy that we might be technically out of a recession, even if its imaginary due to manipulation of the economy by the government, and ignore the fact that the stimulus will contribute to yet another recession, but then who cares.. thats 10 years from now, we'll have a Republican President you can blame it on again..
Thank you for the compounded number.
I didn't even want to try and explain that on this board, lol.

I'll still be here in 10 years.

I'd rather avoid a deeper recession now than worry about a tiny potential decrease 10 years from now.

You keep worrying about the very small potential impact.
I'll keep watching the GDP numbers, which are expected to reach +3%.
In line with the higher end estimates from the CBO regarding the stimulus.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,260,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, the right-wing disinformation media invented a fairy tale about how Obama had assured you unemployment wouldn't rise above 8% if the stimulus was passed, and you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Hardly the only time that's happened.
I of course hate to prove you wrong, but the administrations report is at
http://otrans.3cdn.net/45593e8ecbd339d074_l3m6bt1te.pdf

Thus, we are working to counter a potential total job loss of at least 5 million. As Figure 1 shows, even with the large prototypical package, the unemployment rate in 2010Q4 is predicted to be approximately 7.0%, which is well below the approximately 8.8% that would result in the absence of a plan.

And to clarify, since the figures are for 2010Q4, This also becomes important

For example, the second entry in the middle column indicates that we estimate that the spending on protecting the vulnerable will create 83% as many jobs in 2009Q4 as it will in 2010Q4.

Remind me again how many jobs were created because Obamas figures show 30,000 jobs created, and if this is what we can expect for 2009, and they predict that 2009 will have 83% more jobs than 2010.. its a total and complete failure.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,260,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Thank you for the compounded number.
I didn't even want to try and explain that on this board, lol.

I'll still be here in 10 years.

I'd rather avoid a deeper recession now than worry about a tiny potential decrease 10 years from now.

You keep worrying about the very small potential impact.
I'll keep watching the GDP numbers, which are expected to reach +3%.
In line with the higher end estimates from the CBO regarding the stimulus.
What deeper recession have we avoided? Are you going through a different recession than many of americans are, because I'd say with 10% unemployment, millions losing their homes, car sales and housing sales being manipulated but still no help, I'd say we are in a pretty deep recession..

Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,056,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
If you want a job, go out and get one.
In case u havent noticed thanks to bam bams spending there are no jobs. [MOD CUT/personal attack]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-22-2009 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You peaked at the town hall meetings. You underestimate the degree of shame and disgust that most Americans fell on seeing their so-called fellow citizens behave like uncivilized rowdies and hooligans...
Gee, those town halls just happened to coincide with obama tanking in virtually every poll.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,909,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What deeper recession have we avoided? Are you going through a different recession than many of americans are, because I'd say with 10% unemployment, millions losing their homes, car sales and housing sales being manipulated but still no help, I'd say we are in a pretty deep recession..
If we reach +3% GDP, in line with CBO's high end estimates?

We would have roughly 2 million jobs fewer this year without the stimulus, is my guess.

The high end estimate at CBO says 2.3 million jobs in 2009 over the baseline.

19,198 posts, read 31,531,638 times
Quote:
On the contrary, virtually none of this list creates jobs.
Yoohoo, grasshopper. The point was about getting funds into the hands of people who would spend them, remember? You were complaining how it was done all wrong...something about giving it all to bureaucrats. Not willing to defend that claim anymore, are you? Running away instead into some new and unrelated claim about jobs? Well, as often as we've seen you do that before when outwitted, it's hardly any surprise to see you do it again.

Quote:
The aid to the states has already been shown to not of had the effect that was intended. They used the money instead to close budget gaps.
Um, that was what they were intended to do with the direct budget support. Otherwise, they would have ended up firing people and cutting essential services to close those gaps.

Quote:
Benefits to low-income workers and retirees - does not create jobs.
Medicaid - no jobs. COBRA - no jobs.
Maybe you missed this in ARRA...

SEC. 3. PURPOSES AND PRINCIPLES.
(a) Statement of Purposes- The purposes of this Act include the following:
...(1) To preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery.
...(2) To assist those most impacted by the recession.
...(3) To provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by
........spurring technological advances in science and health.
...(4) To invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other
....... infrastructure that will provide long-term economic benefits.
...(5) To stabilize State and local government budgets, in order to minimize
....... and avoid reductions in essential services and counterproductive state
........and local tax increases.

Quote:
All that in bold? Just what I said - into the hands of bureaucrats. Thank you.
LOL Medicaid goes to doctors, COBRA goes to insurance companies, school funds go to teachers et al, Pell grants go to students, and Head Start goes to providers. They're probably all liberals, though. Maybe you should complain about that...your other stuff just isn't getting off the ground.

11,486 posts, read 15,341,971 times
Quote:
Oh saggy, obama and his "uniquely qualified" team used that chart to show us what the stimulus would prevent - UE rising above 8%. What the stimulus would accomplish, job creation. You just can't get around those basic facts. It is their chart, their report, their numbers, all wrong, wrong, wrong.

He said much more than that saggy, much more.

Isnt it funny how when you use something team ObamAcorn used to explain something back against them it is called projections.

Isnt it funny how the liberals use projections in many different ways?
If it shows something worked it is called a success ( which they have very little of these days ) and if it did not work they can use it as an excuse.

Obama said the jobless rate would not get above 8% because of his stimulus. It is now above 10 and rising. So now they want to spend yet more money we do not have to make the first one work.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE OBAMA WHO SAID HE WOULD RUN OUR GOVERNEMENT LIKE WE ALL RUN OUR HOUSEHOLD BUDGETS!!

Was that just another lie? Because most of us neve spend more then we make or have, at least conservative minds do not.

TAKE THE TAXPAYERS CHECKBOOK AWAY FROM OBAMA NOW!

He is like a spoiled brat kid spending his parents money without them knowing it.

When the first one didnt work it told us they used it wrongfully, now they want another one? How can they expect us to trust them when they did wrong with the first stimulus?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do your own research. Any name I give you will be shot down immediately so I won't even bother. Those guys predicted this long before Obama's famous "won't go above 8%" chart came out.

Cramer is an idiot and only fools listen to him.
Nearly every republican/conservative spoke out against the stimulus, that it would not work, that it would not stimulate anything - and they were right.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/mound-city-money/us-economy/2009/01/economists-say-stimulus-wont-work/ (broken link)

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2009/02...mulus-package/

Quote:
Harvard Economist, Dr. Robert Barro, one of the most influential economists in the world is not at all impressed with The $1,000,000,000,000 (let’s just say infinity at this point) Porkulus/Patronage Bill.
Link to interview.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012802938.html

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=42516 (broken link)

There were many, many voices of dissent who raised the alarm bells and warned that it would not work. So far they are right.

Last edited by sanrene; 10-21-2009 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies