Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know the exact numbers, but blacks are just as rural as they are urban. The "urban/black" thing just won't go away.

But in the cities is where the jobs are. People tend to go where there are opportunities. We don't have roots in Montana, so why would we move there? Idaho? Kansas? LMAO...not really our style. Those place aren't devoid of blacks, but they aren't high up on the list.

I like big cities, and so do many other blacks.
Maybe so, but I'm also learning this. You go where you can make the money. My father worked for Beech Aircraft in Wichita,Kansas. He didn't have roots there, but he went there. He needed the money, and he had the skill set, so he went. If I have to go to North Dakota to make the money, I'll do. If it means I'll be the one of maybe 2 Black people in one town, then I'll do what I have to do.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM

1,332 posts, read 995,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The black crime statistics are what they are. Yet we can quote statistics until we are all black and blue, but the reality of the matter is that, me being a black male, and there are millions of blacks like me who have never committed a crime, who have never been arrested, who have never been on parole, who are bascially law abiding citizens, and yet no one addresses that statistic as well----HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

But, unfortunately, a black male like me, who has two degrees still falls into the stereotype, because of my fellow black brotha's inability to obey the law in proportion to whites. Should I be mad at that brotha for making my life hard by allowing whites to justify stereotyping me when they say blacks only make up 13% of the population yet commit 50% of the crimes? Should I act a fool every time I run into a person who is suprised to see that I am articulate, educated, and non combative?

The reality of being black in America too is that we seem to give many reasons for whites doing certain crimes, and the same isn't applied to blacks. Here's a prime example. When a white person steals chronically, he or she isn't a criminal but has a mental disorder, and we put the label on that person as a cleptomaniac. A white male who kills several women or prostitutes is a serial killer instead of a murderer. Let a black male kill more than one person, he surely isn't called a serial killer. Let a black person steal from the store more than once, he surely isn't labelled a cleptomaniac.

Blacks fall into a catch-22. We are damned for being good citizens, and we are damned for not being good citizens. When we try to achieve the American dream some look at it in amazement when statisically, especially if you are black from the inner city, you are not supposed to finish high school nor go to college.

I don't think anyone would disagree with me on this. Every American regardless of his race basically wants the American Dream and just wants to be TREATED FAIRLY.

There seems to be this view by some who think that when a person in authority has to encounter blacks, for what ever reason, we are ALL going to automatically react like Professor Gates. I just wonder had Gates been white, and reacted the same exact way, would he have still been arrested?

The sad reality of this whole situation too is that the media doesn't make it any better because that type of media helps their ratings, and again we end up back at square one---talking about racism in America-which in most cases, it's just the media's attempt to stir up controversy and mess which many people fall right into the media's trap.
Seems to me this is much ado about nothing. From reading your post, it seems that you have enjoyed a fairly successful life so far. So why should YOU be mad? As for other blacks being mad? Well...I don't see statistics as 'stereotyping'. Statistics are what they are....the numbers don't lie.

I have to ask this question....is it UNREASONABLE that....given the crime statistics...that whites or ANYONE else should see black males as more prone to commit crime? To me, it seems rather prudent. The numbers bear it out.

Blacks need a LEADER or LEADERS who will not continually blame white society for their plight. They need successful blacks to guide them to a better life. They need to stop relying on the government for programs...handouts...hand ups......it is the GOVERNMENT that continues to push the perception that the black person in America CAN'T do it on their own...they NEED the government to help. Whether it be social services...or affirmative action. The government is the greatest enemy the American Black has in this country.

Blacks are more than capable of picking themselves up....and finding their way OUT of the ghetto...the inner city....out of GANGS...out of CRIME. They need to want better for themselves. they need to STOP blaming the white man for keeping them down and take responsibility for themseves and their circumstances. I have several black friends who are successful people, and they are PROUD of what they have achieved. And they should be because they EARNED everything they got. The blacks have leaders like sharpton and jackson who tell blacks that they are OWED by the whites. WRONG.

Congrats to YOU for doing well. Although it is not a surprise when a black man does well for himself, it certainly is not the norm. Perhaps you should share the secrets of your success with other blacks. Mentoring might be a good way to get a contagion going.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Can I stereotype every white person in louisiana, mississippi, alabama, georgia and every other state in the deep south as being racist. Cause after all, if we go by stats, you had alot of white people hang blacks in trees, turned fire hoses on them, etc, in the south. It wouldn't be unreasonable if you go the statistics.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Can I stereotype every white person in louisiana, mississippi, alabama, georgia and every other state in the deep south as being racist. Cause after all, if we go by stats, you had alot of white people hang blacks in trees, turned fire hoses on them, etc, in the south. It wouldn't be unreasonable if you go the statistics.
But this is the question: What does it do for the INDIVIDUAL? I am very concerned about how it will affect the individual. This is why I get very upset about people stereotyping. Am I going to get upset if I get profiled or stereotyped? Yes I am. You know why? Because I'm not a criminal. Those statistics regarding Black men committing alot of crime do not represent me as an individual. I am a Black male. I'm not a criminal, I'm not out there murdering people, selling drugs, robbing houses, or doing other criminal activities. I'm a Catholic, an intellectually, a bookworm, a nerd. I want to live my life as a decent citizen, to be seen as an individual. If I am being stereotyped, how does that help ME as an INDIVIDUAL? How does it help me when I'm trying to be seen as an INDIVIDUAL?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Everyone has the right not to be stereotyped based on an immutable trait. Period.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 PM

200 posts, read 279,030 times
I've stopped being mad. I honestly think that "mainstream" america makes this subject more of an issue than we do. The subject hardly ever comes up at our annual black people meetings, but you always hear about some random black person being mad at something on the news.

I just ignore it and focus on mine. I have realized that Im always going to look different than my suburban neighbors, and don't plan on doing anything to try to fit in with them either. For what?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,889 times
Yes because if you're NOT a criminal you'll get offended when someone calls or labels you as one.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
I've stopped being mad. I honestly think that "mainstream" america makes this subject more of an issue than we do. The subject hardly ever comes up at our annual black people meetings, but you always hear about some random black person being mad at something on the news.

I just ignore it and focus on mine. I have realized that Im always going to look different than my suburban neighbors, and don't plan on doing anything to try to fit in with them either. For what?
Do they let whites attend the annual black people meetings?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
good shot at a hard subject. i think its hard to explain away some very disturbing and outright violent behavior as a matter of sheer perception.
how about
we need to stop putting the teachers cops and social workers on trial and own our stuff.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-10-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post

I don't even watch the news anymore, anything black is a constant negative... I just do me and not worry about what's going on out there. blacks have been trained to hate and defend racist actions that it's not worth the hassle anymore. I can't even browse youtube without a bm hating bw or bw hating bm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies