Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 06:28 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,962,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can't work for someone that doesn't let me call the shots...in other words, I have to be trusted to get the job done in whatever way I see fit to do it. They start micromanaging, and I'm gone.
To the collective relief and happiness of your fellow co-workers!!

Your logic or lackthereof is mind bending.

You believe that sick infectious people should come into work because their absence effects productivity in the negative.

Yet when the people with common sense get infected and they rightfully first think about making themselves better in order to get back to work, you would consider them "wrong".

If you go to work and shut the whole dept down because you have infected everyone, what does that do for productivity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I don't know anyplace that gives "sick pay" in years (decades!). Many places you get personal leave and annual leave (including government). One is for planed off-time, the other for un-planned. Those days are a incentive to get the employee.

I'd rather have the sick stay home, then sit around the office sick.
I was kind of surprised, too, that "sick" days are even discussed anymore. At most places it's called Paid Time Off....it is NOBODY'S business what you are doing on those earned and promised days off.

For another poster:

doing the work of other employees who are off...

IS PART of the job because

NO employer expects everyone to show up every day .

And NO employee is so vital to a company that they can't have days off.....NOBODY is that important.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
To the collective relief and happiness of your fellow co-workers!!

Your logic or lackthereof is mind bending.

You believe that sick infectious people should come into work because their absence effects productivity in the negative.

Yet when the people with common sense get infected and they rightfully first think about making themselves better in order to get back to work, you would consider them "wrong".

If you go to work and shut the whole dept down because you have infected everyone, what does that do for productivity?
It's never happened--we all have our own separate jobs to do. Pretty much the only time for "togetherness" would be at meal break, and I keep to myself.

Well, there is the one other break, on the clock, but I usually work right through that. I'm on the clock, getting paid--I should be working, not sitting around.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:26 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,305,495 times
Quote:
It's never happened--we all have our own separate jobs to do. Pretty much the only time for "togetherness" would be at meal break, and I keep to myself.

Well, there is the one other break, on the clock, but I usually work right through that. I'm on the clock, getting paid--I should be working, not sitting around.

So you're that guy that works through lunch and breaks making the rest of us look bad. We hate that guy.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:46 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
I can't work for someone that doesn't let me call the shots...in other words, I have to be trusted to get the job done in whatever way I see fit to do it. They start micromanaging, and I'm gone.
Your slave master loves you because you do not ask for sick time or vacation time. You may get a say in the method as to how you get the job done but your boss ultimately holds the puppet strings as he has willing slave who places the companies work goals over and beyond his own personal life.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
So you're that guy that works through lunch and breaks making the rest of us look bad. We hate that guy.
Nope! They don't make us Break Takers look bad....they make themselves look like they're so inefficient they have to work through their break to get the job done.

But it is a nice way for them to lower their pay all by themselves ...

Old 10-31-2009, 12:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times
Quote:

By working through your lunch break or your other break, you are putting your employer at risk for violating federal law.

I would advise your employer to issue you a written warning - stating you have to take those breaks.

If you do not follow those instructions, you are to be terminated.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
By working through your lunch break or your other break, you are putting your employer at risk for violating federal law.

I would advise your employer to issue you a written warning - stating you have to take those breaks.

If you do not follow those instructions, you are to be terminated.
That is only true for hourly employees, salaried can work whenever they want. Also, why take breaks when the economy is so bad? How can a company turn around if employees are not willing to work harder? Any employer who issues a written warning to employees who want to put in extra effort deserve to go out of business. I can't think of a worse attitude!

Firing someone for working harder. I am glad you aren't my boss.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That is only true for hourly employees, salaried can work whenever they want. Also, why take breaks when the economy is so bad? How can a company turn around if employees are not willing to work harder? Any employer who issues a written warning to employees who want to put in extra effort deserve to go out of business. I can't think of a worse attitude!

Firing someone for working harder. I am glad you aren't my boss.
I agree. I once worked in a governmental office and felt that I needed to stay a few minutes over just to catch up on my work. I did not request or desired overtime pay but just the ability to catch up for my own peace of mind. Instead of acknowledging my desire to work hard, the office manager threatened to write me up as a disciplinary measure. It really ruined my morale big time and I eventually resigned from that position. From that point onward, I no longer cared if the work got done or not as long as I left on time. I was supposed to be a salaried employee but I guess if they wanted us to behave like hourlies.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. Many workers do not have sick or vacation days
2. This is actually a great idea. I would love the option to donate my overtime hours in to a sick fund. However, I doubt almost any businesses will follow this.
3. Who is going to buy this? They will just come in to your business sick.

Let me give you a real life scenario of what happens when sick time is limited.

A woman in my office came down with swine flu. Because she didnt have enough sick days, she came in with it.

She gave this flu to 4 other people. Those 4 people missed a total of over 12 days between them, however, 2 of them came in because they didnt have enough sick time. They probably infected other people who have yet to show symptoms.

Think about that. That is 12 days of work so far that either someone else had to cover, or where work wasnt done, and productivity was lost. All because one woman didnt have enough sick time to stay home.

Was that worth it? Wouldnt it have just been smarter to have given the woman with the swine flu a couple days?

What you have to realize is that people who are sick and have limited sick days are not going to just take unpaid days off out of the goodness of their heart. They are going to come in sick. They are going to get their coworkers sick, they are going to get you sick, and they are going to get your customers sick, and they are probably going to do a job that is below their normal level.
It's ridiculous to give people unlimited numbers of sick days. 3 sick days a year should be plenty but many employers give more.

Letting people use their vacation days on their sick time is a good idea however because some people get a sniffle and think they're deathly ill.

The problem with so many people who call in sick, the one cough they had that morning stopped them from going to work but then someone sees them later at a movie theater or out shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies