Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 04:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times

Advertisements

It's the system set in place--some people "game" the system.

The next step would be a leave of absence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Again, that is a management issue. Plus, the employee is going to be up S*** Creek if she actually gets sick and needs more than a day.
That about sums it up....it's NOBODY's busines, not your employer, not your whiny , jealous, brain dead co-worker's, not anyone's business what you do on your day off.

SOME people will always abuse the system...that is a MANAGEMENT problem.
Got extra work when a co-worker calls in sick or is on vacation?...tough, you whiney babies......that is part of Adult Working Conditions, you support your co-worker when they're gone and they support you when you're gone and it's what you're paid for.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Except--I'm never gone. I show up every day and don't use sick time.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
A job is essentially a contract agreement and you agree to do their work for a specific time frame in exchange for compensation. Paid sick leave is a perk given by the employer to make the job more attractive and/or competitive.

So you actually want to sign a contract that gives less for you and more for the employer? You are a crooked salesman's dream come true!

So, I've got this bridge for sale...
No, I made the suggestion that maybe it be added as vacation time. It would be much more pleasant for me if people actually scheduled their days off as opposed to calling in even if they get more days. That way their work can be allocated and not dumped on everybody else. And every year it is the same people that do it.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,313 times
As a business owner I can tell you that we know everything that goes on. They are not getting away with anything. We just like them better than people like you.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Except--I'm never gone. I show up every day and don't use sick time.
Well good for you..

I occasionally will use my sick time when I'm just a little under the weather--and sometimes I''ll call in sick and work from home and maybe once or twice I've even called in sick when there was a foot and a half of fresh powder on Mt. Hood and I just needed to get up to the mountain for an epic day of snowboarding.

But I've also had a lot of days I've stayed at work until 9pm or later(after starting work at 8 am) or worked weekends--and as a salaried employee I don't get paid overtime. So it's a unspoken truth at my work that occasionally people take a day off, but we're alright with that due to the fact they we know and respect that most of us are working our arses off. It would be fairer to all of us if sick time and vacation time were combined into a system of leave time, but that’s not happening at my employer anytime soon..

It sounds like your problem should just be with your fellow employees or boss if you feel that someone is abusing the system and not with the whole concept of sick leave.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,138 times
At my work I have XX number of personal days off per year. It's part of my compensation package, like my 401k, health insurance and the check I get each month.

Taken out of that are holidays and the rest is up to me. Use it as sick time, use it as vacation time, my boss could care less what I do with my personal days. That's why it's called a "personal day," it's personal what you do with it.

This is pretty standard for mid-level, salaried employees and has been for a long, long time. I have had some level of this going all the way back to my near-minimum wage days as a teenager.

If you choose to never take any days off then that is great for your employer. Do you take any vacation time? Tell me you've had more then 3 non-weekend/non-holiday days off in the last 15 years, because if you haven't, you are being seriously taken advantage of by your employer.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,313 times
In one segment of our business employees are required to take an entire week off without contacting the office. This is part of the security process. Lots of fraud as well as security violations are uncovered when an employee is not at work to cover his or her tracks. Never trust an employee who never takes vacation or never calls in sick.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Your number two idea is subjective depending on the type of job one does. For example, fire fighters sit in the fire station playing cards, working out, cooking, eating, and sleeping. They're there for when there's an emergency. In my line of work, there are times where there's nothing to do. But we must remain on the job because if someone gets trapped in an elevator, we get them out; if the medical gas system fails, we must take corrective action; if the city power goes out, we must ensure the emergency generators are up and running; if something in the hospital breaks, we must try to correct the problem; and if there's a fire, we're the first responders to the fire.

Same happens to me. I can spend time sitting around or I can see patients. The solution is a base rate with productivity bonus. As it is, I get paid only for what I do, so sitting around pays me nothing. Neither of us can will people to come in or accidents to happen, but neither of us should be paid the same as someone who doesn't work as hard.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As I watch certain fellow employees get a virtual extra week of vacation every year by calling in sick, I am more and more beginning to think that company "sick pay" is a bad idea.
What would you do if you hired somebody- let's say a painter to paint your house. He says he will paint it Monday but then he calls you on Sunday and says he won't be able to come tomorrow because he is sick. But then on Tuesday he shows up demanding that you pay him.
Paying employees for being ill is pretty much the same thing in my view. A business pays people to work and not to be ill. Now, have I taken it myself? Yes. 3 days in the last 15 years. Once for a toothache and emergency dental appointment to stop the pain and once for the flu.
But others seem to have the idea that sick pay is like "extra vacation" time. They take it every year. If I ran a business, there would be no "sick pay". If you were sick, your options would be:

1. Use your vacation days
2. You can elect to put 1 hour of pay each 2 weeks into a "sick account" that will give you about 3 days every year in an account you can draw from if you are sick. You can save as many days as you wish and if you don't use them, you will get the money back when you leave or retire.
3. You can elect to purchase "sick insurance" that will pay you when you are ill and cannot work.
You are right. Many companies have gone to "PTO" or paid time off - and it's up to the employee how he wishes to use that time. If they call in sick, they don't get scheduled vacations.

It's the fairest way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies