Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Obama is not going to fly out to meet her like he did with that professor at Harvard. Her pain will be forever and it is up to her family to provide the emotional triage for this heinous crime. It is obvious that hate crimes and race hustling is not meant to protect a young girl like this. The faster you wise up the better.
The Gates situation was not handled well. I don't think it would be right for Obama to get involved at this stage. I think it would result in a media circus, and she is only 15, and the victim of a sex crime. We all know the tabloids would never leave this family alone. Also on one of the CNN clips it was mentioned that there was a lot of information that had not yet been released to the public, and doing so would compromise the investigation. I'm not going to speculate on what, but it just seems to get worse and worse doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
It looks like this whole thing has devolved to a racial issue. She talks about being white and a minority at the school, and how it supposedly makes her discriminated and more vulnerable to crime. So far every suspect has either been black or latino, possibility of this being charged as a hate crime?

Friend of gang rape victim blasts school officials over safety - CNN.com
Why am I not surprised?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,997,299 times
Default fuel on the fire

This is not Obama's or any presidents job to get involved in these matters, I agree with you. It is a a terrible crime in the worst sense, I will be sure to say a prayer for the victim and the perps too, God bless their souls. Should be a wake up call for those with their eyes open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The Gates situation was not handled well. I don't think it would be right for Obama to get involved at this stage. I think it would result in a media circus, and she is only 15, and the victim of a sex crime. We all know the tabloids would never leave this family alone. Also on one of the CNN clips it was mentioned that there was a lot of information that had not yet been released to the public, and doing so would compromise the investigation. I'm not going to speculate on what, but it just seems to get worse and worse doesn't it?

Last edited by samyn on the green; 10-30-2009 at 01:51 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 03:10 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Three of the savages wore bullet-proof vests at the hearing. Can't imagine why.

I'm sure there's a father or brothers out there who can't wait to do what needs to be done.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Don't like Obama but he's right to stay out of this. Last thing that girl needs now is more attention from the national news media. What she probably wants is isolation from the world. What she needs is professional counseling.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:01 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Don't like Obama but he's right to stay out of this. Last thing that girl needs now is more attention from the national news media. What she probably wants is isolation from the world. What she needs is professional counseling.
I agree with you. The last thing this poor girl needs on top of everything else is a media frenzy. I was under the impression that, as a rape victim and as a minor, she is allowed a certain amount of anonymity. Anyone know what the law on that is?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 AM

507 posts, read 678,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
It looks like this whole thing has devolved to a racial issue. She talks about being white and a minority at the school, and how it supposedly makes her discriminated and more vulnerable to crime. So far every suspect has either been black or latino, possibility of this being charged as a hate crime?

Friend of gang rape victim blasts school officials over safety - CNN.com
I interpreted this completely differently. From what I'm understanding, the girl is saying that the school is under resourced because of a high population of minorities. She attended another school previously that was mostly white and Asian and she said it had more resources and more security officers.

Please bear with me because I transcribed this based on the video, so there may be some minor mistakes, but here are some quotes:

Quote:
When I started here I felt completely unsafe, and so did [the rape victim] because of the lack of police officers and security officers.
Quote:
The story has blown beyond portion because of race and location.
Quote:
RHS has been ostracized by the district. No matter how you look at it we [meaning the school] are ostracized by the district because of our race and minorities. At RHS there are Mexicans and blacks around me everywhere and at Danza [another school] there are more Asians and whites.
What I believe she is saying is that the school gets less security and less resources because of the large minority populations. If anything she seems to feel unsafe only due to the lack of security, and not because of the minorities. She said Danza, her previous school, had about half the populations of RHS, but a higher level of security. That school was mostly white and Asian.

Also where are people getting that all the suspects are black and Hispanic? So far I only see one photo of a Hispanic guy, and a few names. Unless he is both black and Hispanic and was cloned into 15 or so people, I am going to wait until more info comes about the suspects. Plus, several photos will not be released because those suspects are juveniles.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 AM

487 posts, read 636,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Also where are people getting that all the suspects are black and Hispanic? So far I only see one photo of a Hispanic guy, and a few names. Unless he is both black and Hispanic and was cloned into 15 or so people, I am going to wait until more info comes about the suspects. Plus, several photos will not be released because those suspects are juveniles.
Well here's the pictures of the suspects so far:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5028/manuelortega.jpg (broken link)

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8565/josecarlosmontano102909.jpg (broken link)

and the family of one:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8020/edit4.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-30-2009, 10:45 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I interpreted this completely differently. From what I'm understanding, the girl is saying that the school is under resourced because of a high population of minorities. She attended another school previously that was mostly white and Asian and she said it had more resources and more security officers.

Please bear with me because I transcribed this based on the video, so there may be some minor mistakes, but here are some quotes:

What I believe she is saying is that the school gets less security and less resources because of the large minority populations. If anything she seems to feel unsafe only due to the lack of security, and not because of the minorities. She said Danza, her previous school, had about half the populations of RHS, but a higher level of security. That school was mostly white and Asian.

Excellant Observation.

Unfortunately sometimes I feel race is an issue as to the choice of victims, whether they are black or white.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Where are the outspoken activists?

Where is the broad media coverage on television?

Let's hear more info about who these guys were...

Whoops!....We wouldn't want to stigmatize any group...would we?

Last year our Attorney General came out claiming that we are dishonest about our discussion of race relations in this country. Where the hell is he now?...Shouldn't this be investigated as a bias crime?

I'm sorry to say that this country is going to become more ethnically and racially divided than ever before. And, it is because of dishonesty.
Perfection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies