Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,926,688 times

Advertisements

OP, how about starting a Southerners ONLY thread and Northerners Only thread so that it is clear which room people should go into so we there is not fighting and arguing and trolling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 PM

508 posts, read 1,676,917 times
I dont understand why we cant let sleeping dogs lie. The war was a long time ago. The North won. the South lost. Each had good points and bad points. Each has great history and bad history. Each has good people and bad people. There, debate settled. If people want to reminice about their ancestors, cool. I find myself doing it from time to time but only with people who are either interested or have some connection. I agree, put up a forum for each area of the country so people can go reminice about their heritage from that area.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:07 PM

because both sides do not want it dead. the north think they are better human beings than anyone in America thinks that people in the South are all rednecks(even though half us are black and other minorities) and the South think that north is void of morals.

it is a cultural war now, and it is alive and well

Old 05-11-2007, 03:16 PM

I know. I just wish it wasnt so. I am curious to know one thing though. traditionaly, the N v. S debate is focused on Eastern states, where does the division line fall on Western states?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:19 PM

i started 2 new threads for good chat for both Norhterners and Southerners--the northerners couldnt help themselves and attacked on the Southern thread right away. on the northern thread no attacks by southerners

I knew this is what would happen, seeing who the culprits would be

Old 05-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i started 2 new threads for good chat for both Norhterners and Southerners--the northerners couldnt help themselves and attacked on the Southern thread right away. on the northern thread no attacks by southerners

I guess that is a clue to post my question there. No prob.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:00 PM

356 posts, read 1,131,134 times
I don't think the rest of the country thinks we southerners are "all rednecks". My mother was from New Hampshire and my father was from Tennessee. I was raised in Virginia and married a man from Montana (we met living in Arizona). I have never in my travels outside of the south been treated with disrespect because I have an obvious southern accent. We are a very mobile society and have more similarities than differences. I would be very saddened if I only got to associate with one group of people due to where I lived.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:43 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,808,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post

This comment is ridiculous considering you are always bashing the north. Also, the so called "good chat" you started was condescending and offensive.

As you know I moved from the north to the south (we have had previous conversations about this) and I never thought anything bad about people in the south and neither did anyone else I know. I'm not saying there are not stereotypes and some people are stupid enough to believe them but as long as you and a few other people on here keep bringing it up, it's always going to be an issue.

I can honestly say I have never heard a person in the north say bad things about people in the south. On here I see people bashing the north all the time. I'm not sure why because most people I know could care less where anyone is from.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,690,981 times
When family still lived in Philly, I'd get homesick just being on vacation!
But the old neighborhood was getting too bad, and we finally moved to the (NE) suburbs.
It was a shock because the people were much colder and snotty than in our neighborhood and the Montgomery/Del County burbs where I used to commute for work.
Very strange here. So I started to travel.

Loved the friendliness of the South. Was down there for 13 years (between NC & Florida). And had only visited Chicago as a tourist back in the '80s.
But when I finally moved to Chicago a couple of years ago, it, literally, felt as though I'd been there my entire life from the second I got off the plane at Midway & hopped on the Orange Line, then settled in and walked & walked (and walked) as though by radar. I actually felt safer and more "in" riding the Red/Brown lines than I did on the El in Philly which I'd spent 30 years riding!
The people.

The entire time living, working, and exploring there felt just as my old neighborhood used to feel -- home! While it is an awesome, beautiful town physically, the people certainly had 100% to do with this.

Have since come back to this depressing Philly (lower bucks) suburb for family reasons and have had a mighty hard time adjusting back to the miserable, dour attitudes here.
I'm going to go Lee Elia on them one of these days.
Chicago's panhandlers were nicer encounters! I'm not kidding!

Have to say that I, truly, LOVE Chicago - and really miss being there. Even more than the pretty Florida beach towns with the chronic sun & heat that I appreciate. The people make the place more than scenery, attractions, etc. in Chicago IMO.
Florida & NC, lovely, like years of a paid vacation. But Chicago felt "home."

(Nothin' wrong with "adopted home town" appreciation, is there?) So let's hear everyone's favorite town feelings @

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-12-2007 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-12-2007, 08:26 PM

13,634 posts, read 21,456,617 times
hey I understand love of a certain area,yet as Ben Franklin said,"We must all hang together or surely we will all hang seperately".

east,west,north ,south...USA#1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies