Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,805,856 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Virginia, I was raised on stories about my family and how my great grandmother danced with Fitzhugh Lee at the Governers Ball in Richmond. My great great grandfather went out to Arkansas looking for Mica Mines and ran into Buffalo Bill. I heard stories about when the yankees came through Richmond and Powhatan county and everyone had to hide the family silver.

I think when I think of the South, its because we lost the War we all share a common bond. It stretches from Virginia to Texas and everywhere in between. Southerners have always been strong independent people who rely on their sense of humor to get them through.
Moderator cut: INFLAMMATORY
I love the the many Souths . I love the rolling hills of Virginia and Kentucky. I love the swamp bayous of Louisiana. I love the Mississippi Delta and Gulf Shores. I love the coasts of the Carolinas. I love the beauty of the people.

No matter where I roam, In Dixie I'll always feel at home. I think thats what the South means to me. Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,485,055 times
Zzzzzz

Thats great that you love the south, but I love the north.

Moderator cut: Off topic/personal attack

Everyone from every corner of the country can write what you just did. We ALL love our homes for different reasons.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,746,397 times
LOL - it seems to be a common tactic to slam another place to make yours seem better. A truly great city/area can stand on its own without making derogitory comments about someplace else. Once the cheap shots are thrown in, the opinion/viewpoint loses credibility.

(btw - I'm agreeing with you steve-o if you couldn't gather )

Old 05-11-2007, 10:03 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,453,774 times
I find this very strange, too. So you love the South - good for you! To each their own. I could think of lots of things to say why I do NOT love the South... but I won't. Every area has positives and negatives, no need to put down a whole part of the country.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM

6,620 posts, read 16,619,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I find this very strange, too. So you love the South - good for you! To each their own. I could think of lots of things to say why I do NOT love the South... but I won't. Every area has positives and negatives, no need to put down a whole part of the country.
Nicely put, katzenfreund!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,346,024 times
^ See, Steve-o, you're showing your Northern lack of humor right here!!! Ha!!

Anyway, I think it's great that vasinger loves the South and loves VA. But thread after thread of these romanticized tellings of how life in the good ole south is/was are at best odd, at worst tiresome. I'm from VA originally. I like the state, but jeez, sitting on the porch drinking sweet tea, Sunday dinners, and ancestor tales of running into Buffalo Bill? Whose reality is that? In my experience the whole romantic "Gone With the Wind" South is just an old fantasy.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,486,871 times
I'm a southerner, I like living in the south, and I like discussing the south, etc.

However, I don't understand the fascination with these southern threads. It's one, after another, after another - and they are all about the same thing. If you aren't from the south, I can understand how you'd be really sick of these threads. I'm interested in the topic, and I think it is excessive and somewhat self-centered to droll on and on about the south this way. There's a fine line between legit discussion and trolling.

If you want to sit around with your friends and pick on Yankees, then by all means, go ahead. But that sort of thing is offensive when addressing a broad, nationwide audience.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,485,055 times
Its very offensive!!!!!!!!!! I take pride in being a yankee. I take pride in the fact that Illinois sent the 4th most volunteers in the whole war. What I DONT understand is why people feel the need to bash the north, just because we live a different lifestyle. Its offensive, especially when it happens on a daily basis on this site. Whats really offensive is the fact that my posts keep disappearing, and theyre not offensive! LOLOL If southern folks want to poke fun at Yankees, do it in privacy, not in public. All youre doing is stirring the hornets nest...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,073,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
However, I don't understand the fascination with these southern threads. It's one, after another, after another - and they are all about the same thing. If you aren't from the south, I can understand how you'd be really sick of these threads. I'm interested in the topic, and I think it is excessive and somewhat self-centered to droll on and on about the south this way. There's a fine line between legit discussion and trolling.
Well put, anonymous.
I am sort of a product of both coasts plus Colorado, not sure what that makes me, but probably mostly a Westerner.
Anyway, I now reside in the South, so I find some of the threads both helpful and interesting.
However, I certainly agree that there can be a fine line between legit discussion and trolling--on both sides.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,918,045 times
I love the South as well, born and Bred here, lived in 4 southern states and I love them so much. Miss so many things about my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies