Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I don't know where else to post this and didn't see any posts regarding this...

So many jobs have moved offshore as companies find ways to cut spending, as you all know. I believe it began in the 80s or 90s with British firms offshoring their jobs to India, with their strong colonial ties, and US firms followed.

Industries that have moved American jobs overseas:

Airlines, banks, law firms, computer companies, graphic design companies, movie studios, and of course manufacturing.

Oh, and Americans are getting surgeries and dental care overseas too. So, what kind of jobs will there be in America if we can't compete with low prices of the foreign market?

India offers skilled English-speaking workers with cheap wages -- who can compete with that?!

I know i don't sound optimistic but just exactly what can we do that NO ONE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY can do? (P.S. We can't all work for the government!)
this goes back to at least the 80s maybe some before that. What is the answer? I don't think any of us have a good one: Union wages and benefits have brought the cost of doing business strictly here in our country so expensive corporations have found a way to survive and even make millions by outsourcing. Even without unions, the cost of doing business here is much higher. On the other hand, by moving jobs overseas we are creating a total nightmere in our own country. This is just one of the reasons for high unemployment.

Service industry jobs and blue collar are the answer I am afraid. High Tech can be handled over seas as well as here. Our son in law is mid 50s, been with the same company forever and may well be facing the end of his career soon. Why, because much of what he does is going out of the country; very high tech I may add.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 PM

432 posts, read 605,196 times
anyone who doesn't think taxes and regulations are the #1 reason why American born businesses move offshore are simply illogical, uninformed, uneducated idiots...

1st thing you do to keep businesses here, and to get some to move back, and create way more new ones is to- GET RID OF INCOME TAX , Both individual and corporate

2nd thing you do is create reasonable tariffs so the companies here can actually sell their products to Americans at the same price or lower than China (other countries) goods...

And for you uninformed buffoons.. the US didn't have an income tax until 1913, the gov't was smaller prior to then, and most of the gov't revenues came from tariffs... the income tax is detrimental to a free society, decreases willingness to growth, and is also very immoral.. Also, the new tariffs that we can impose would benefit American companies and take place of our income taxes..

If you fail to recognize those things , than you simply want to continue the unemployment rates and businesses going overseas.

Last edited by ManGoneADreamin; 11-05-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
income tax is detrimental to a free society, decreases willingness to growth, and is also very immoral
Baboon defined:
Baboons, Baboon Pictures, Baboon Facts - National Geographic

Buffoon defined:
buffoon - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Just where do our INCOME TAXES GO?
http://www.fcnl.org/pdfs/taxDay08.pdf

A whopping $0.43 of every dollar goes to:
Military spending: Includes the cost of war and preparing for war (29¢) and obligations from past
wars (14¢) such as veterans programs and interest on the military portion of the national debt.

Quote:
the income tax is detrimental to a free society, decreases willingness to growth, and is also very immoral
My Point Of View: WRONG. Income taxes fund many Government Programs, such as National Security.

Quote:
new tariffs that we can impose would benefit American companies and take place of our income taxes
Tariffs are sure way to drive free trade away.
http://jackiewhiting.net/Collab/lead...Tariff1828.htm

Americans would be forced to pay more for things purchsed on tariff duty items. Are we not paying enough, or too much now for everyday use items?

Last edited by Hombre57; 11-05-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM

432 posts, read 605,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Baboon defined:
Baboons, Baboon Pictures, Baboon Facts - National Geographic

Buffoon defined:
buffoon - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Just where do our INCOME TAXES GO?
http://www.fcnl.org/pdfs/taxDay08.pdf

A whopping $0.43 of every dollar goes to:
Military spending: Includes the cost of war and preparing for war (29¢) and obligations from past
wars (14¢) such as veterans programs and interest on the military portion of the national debt.

yea, and your point is?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:36 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
yea, and your point is?
Offshoring Jobs...What is left for America?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Two words - countervailling tarrifs

Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we could go back to being a self sustaining country! we have plenty of assets and more than enough workers. we need to have small businesses grow, which each service small groups of clients. everything in america has been geared for BIGGY sizing, and maybe we need to think smaller. we have to stop allowing the big corporations to blackmail america and bribe our politicians. if oil is the reason that we have to suck up to the world, why don't we work on an alliance with canada (where we get most of our oil anyway) and start developing our own oil reserves. it seems that our unwillingness to make OURSELVES energy independent is always coming back to bite us. we could throwing insane amounts of money at other countries and spend it on our own energy development. if we got any kind of breakthrough, other countries would want to follow suit.

america has always excelled in innovation.

Self sustaining would be the best way to go, I agree. But wouldn't self-sustenance only work if we abolished our free trade agreements (which will never happen!)? As long as we are forced to import cheap food or toys from other countries, our local businesses can't compete. The American consumer is not going to say, "Well, I'm going to be patriotic and buy at this mom and pop that's going to cost me more than Walmart."

That is why Walmart is everywhere. It's popular and cheap. Same with jobs with low wages.

That is why self-sustaining is virtually impossible and jobs are leaving. Welcome to the One Global Economy.

Innovation. That's our last hope.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
This does make me fear for the future of America and it's citizens.. Thomas Friedmen and his ilk stated that the "service sector" is the future of American jobs.. Sadly, many of those are dissappearing as well due to the INSOURCING of Illegal Alien labor primarily from Latin American countries.. Many of the service jobs in trades such as construction, restaurants and "small businesses" are falling prey to this..

Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
This does make me fear for the future of America and it's citizens.. Thomas Friedmen and his ilk stated that the "service sector" is the future of American jobs.. Sadly, many of those are dissappearing as well due to the INSOURCING of Illegal Alien labor primarily from Latin American countries.. Many of the service jobs in trades such as construction, restaurants and "small businesses" are falling prey to this..
Yep......and for anyone not to see it all as the "Great American Takeover" is beyond me!
We've outsourced jobs for years and now that the same has finally happened in such an enormous way to so many in the white collar job sector....it's suddenly, oh, so tragic!

America's future......is GONE now that we have outsourced so many good and decent mfg. jobs and IMPORTED workers HERE at the same time....to do much of the lower-paying "service" jobs.

It's SICK and very noticeable along with the numbers of foreigners here on work visas and rampant cases of reverse discrimination resulting from Affirmative Action, court precedents, threat of lawsuits and numerous other things that were designed to "make us ALL....equal." EOE....my ass!
BULL SQUAT!

The enormous trade deficit we have with China, a plummeting dollar with zero interest rates, bank bailouts, war, more bailouts? and a TRILLION dollar Health Care "reform" being shoved down our throats or else.........all signifies the END......of America as most have ever known it, in my eyes!

In its wake WILL be something unrecognizable and NEVER what America was ever supposed to become, I guarantee.
Conform or be cast out.......time to accept being a part of the NWO that will eventually "rescue" us?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Not just manufacturing jobs leaving, even "white collar" jobs like financial analysts, paralegal work (the cost of an American paralegal salary pays for TEN Indian lawyers with J.D.'s), etc etc. I have friends in the art gallery business and they are shutting down. Why? Because they can't compete with IMPORTED paintings from China!

Should we all lower our wages? Who's going to be the first one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies