Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
walmart and mcdonalds - thats ok, plenty of 10k houses around
Or tents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i voted for perot twice, never mind that they laughed and jeered at him for his comment warning that there'd be a 'giant sucking sound' of jobs moving to mexico if nafta passed.
clearly he was 100% correct.
LMAO!

I voted for him twice too.

So what did Perot ultimately do with the company that made him so personally wealthy he could afford to pay for a presidential campaign, complete with 1/2 hour long prime time network air?

Perot Systems is one of the granddaddies of offshore outsourcing to India. He fired thousands of Americans and sent their jobs offshore never to return.

I guess having more money than he could spend in several lifetimes already was not enough for Perot, so he had to take away the jobs of his American workers too.

Perot is the ultimate hypocrite and I am glad he did not win.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Not just manufacturing jobs leaving, even "white collar" jobs like financial analysts, paralegal work (the cost of an American paralegal salary pays for TEN Indian lawyers with J.D.'s), etc etc. I have friends in the art gallery business and they are shutting down. Why? Because they can't compete with IMPORTED paintings from China!

Should we all lower our wages? Who's going to be the first one?
Lower our cost of living to equal the third world and we could do so easily. I doubt that's gonna happen.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Talk is cheap and so are Americans. I hate outsourcing but how many Americans would be willing to pay more money for an American made product? We are cheap. Look at all the people who shop at Wal-Mart so they can save 10 cents on an item.

How many people are buying American cars?
Cash for Clunkers just made Japanese automakers a lot of money.

Americans will always buy a foreign product to save money rather than being loyal and buying local products even if it costs more.

This is the typical hypocrisy and double standard we live by. We whine about outsourcing but then we are the first to buy a foreign product to save money.

The only solution is for companies to deliberately make products in the United States and advertise that their product was made here! If people buy those products out of patriotism, other companies will follow. That's the only solution because the government has no power to limit outsourcing...none at all
Many foreign brand cars are MADE IN AMERICA.

Funny how these foreign companies can make a go of it with American workers building their cars in plants in the USA.

Of course, Japanese head honchos don't earn hundreds of times the salary of a plant worker like American ones do ...

Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Lower our cost of living to equal the third world and we could do so easily. I doubt that's gonna happen.
It is happening already. Do you know how many over educated layed off white collared workers are now working in service ?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I don't know where else to post this and didn't see any posts regarding this...

So many jobs have moved offshore as companies find ways to cut spending, as you all know. I believe it began in the 80s or 90s with British firms offshoring their jobs to India, with their strong colonial ties, and US firms followed.

Industries that have moved American jobs overseas:

Airlines, banks, law firms, computer companies, graphic design companies, movie studios, and of course manufacturing.

Oh, and Americans are getting surgeries and dental care overseas too. So, what kind of jobs will there be in America if we can't compete with low prices of the foreign market?

India offers skilled English-speaking workers with cheap wages -- who can compete with that?!

I know i don't sound optimistic but just exactly what can we do that NO ONE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY can do? (P.S. We can't all work for the government!)
Nothing is left for America. But who the hell cares? Not I. I have a job.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Nothing is left for America. But who the hell cares? Not I. I have a job.
You will care the day you don't have a job and cannot find the next job.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It is happening already. Do you know how many over educated layed off white collared workers are now working in service ?
Have their rent/mortgage/gasoline cost/electric bill/income tax rate/etc. been reduced to match their much lowered income expectations?

I don't think so. It won't work for the long run.

We should have a march on the Capitol of the under-employed, unemployed college graduates, and unemployed Americans old school complete with torches and pitchforks!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
That's the problem. Too many people with their head in the sand who think like him. (Apologies kev if you were being sarcastic.) I have been studying offshore outsourcing since 2001 and am concerned even though I am employed.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
I will always have a job. I work in the cell phone field. It will always grow. In fact, we are one of the few places that is hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies