Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I agree, but we may have put ourselves in a position where it's no longer practical to do so....

We go more protectionist and China turns off the spigot of buying U.S. debt... As a nation, we sadly aren't prepared for that.
I think if we had the manufacturing capibility and the people accepted a tax hike on the rich, we could see ourselves in the black in no time.

Too bad we are still importing too many of our goods that could be made here.

One the greedy execs saw they could get cheaper labor overseas...it was over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Sure .. I've seen the numbers on the "Cash For Clunkers" program, and it took roughly 27k just to sell one new car .. No Thanks.

Pie in the sky health care reform and Cap and Trade needs to be tabled in favor of concentrating congressional resources and effort toward the sectors that create jobs.

I'll be closing my small business down Jan 1, after 31 years, in light of all of the new proposals for Cap and Trade and Healthcare Reform anyhow. Those two things alone will do more to damage economic performance with regard to jobs and production that I can see ..
We close a small business in June, '09 and probably will close another sister business in Jan, '10. In essence I'll be unemployed, but since I am one of the owners, there will be no unemployment statistics to cover me. Makes one wonder how many more thousands of small businesses are closing because of the credit crunch, bad economy, unemployment,....?

Are citizens getting a true picture of the economy,...or are the figures being "cooked"?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
I agree, but we may have put ourselves in a position where it's no longer practical to do so....

We go more protectionist and China turns off the spigot of buying U.S. debt... As a nation, we sadly aren't prepared for that.
Well, the US is going to have to be prepared for that. At some point in time, we are going to have to bite the bullet, and hunker down for a rough go while the budget gets balanced, and we put ourselves in a position to enact tariffs, and get the economy turned back around.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I wouldnt expect someone who thinks giving someone a dollar means they will spend it on what you want them to, would understand economic principles.

You have a good day.
lol Coming from you that means ummmmmm nothing

Hey how do you like your stimulus spending? Hows that working for us? Are you happy with the fraud happening with it?

I am sure you like how Obama is basically paying back folks that voted him in office.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I think if we had the manufacturing capibility and the people accepted a tax hike on the rich, we could see ourselves in the black in no time.

Too bad we are still importing too many of our goods that could be made here.

One the greedy execs saw they could get cheaper labor overseas...it was over.
And yet these people come off the hillsides and out from their farmhouses that are barely hanging on to defend against raising taxes on the wealthy.

It really is the greatest bamboozle in the history of the world... Just scream "FREEDOM!!", and "ABORTION!!" and "GAY!!" loud enough and you can get them to vote against anything that might actually level the playing field of economic opportunity in this country... It's quite amazing.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
We close a small business in June, '09 and probably will close another sister business in Jan, '10. In essence I'll be unemployed, but since I am one of the owners, there will be no unemployment statistics to cover me. Makes one wonder how many more thousands of small businesses are closing because of the credit crunch, bad economy, unemployment,....?

Are citizens getting a true picture of the economy,...or are the figures being "cooked"?

There are many, many, unemployed people who are not counted. If you simply interviewed every person in the country over 18, and asked them, "Are you unemployed, or would you be working if you thought it made sense, or was possible", you would find the figures are much higher then anything the government offers.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:43 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
And yet these people come off the hillsides and out from their farmhouses that are barely hanging on to defend against raising taxes on the wealthy.

It really is the greatest bamboozle in the history of the world... Just scream "FREEDOM!!", and "ABORTION!!" and "GAY!!" loud enough and you can get them to vote against anything that might actually level the playing field of economic opportunity in this country... It's quite amazing.
Isn't that the truth?

Especially that "FREEDOM" bit. "BIG GOVERNMENT" is also very effective too.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
obo

916 posts, read 986,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The problem with "giving" the people a check is that it probably would have done nothing to help the economy. Those checks would have likely simply have met the same fate Bush's rebate check stimulus did - they would have been used to pay down bills or simply stuffed in the bank and saved - neither of which would have done ANYTHING to stimulate the economy.

Ken
Paying down bills helps the economy, someone is getting the money.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Bush did well to prove that tax cuts don't create jobs.
Actually they did and we had some awesome gains afterwards. He did manage to pull out of the 9/11 slump which was incredible as the markets crashed pretty hard then. I can honestly tell you that we were better off under Bush than we are under Obama.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
Wait until Obama tells us how many jobs will be "created" with the passage of Obamacare and the Cap and Trade bills. More Hopeychange!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies