Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:11 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,527 times

Advertisements

Actually I'd have to agree with the people here who say it's just a trait of men in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 08:45 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering is it any wonder why gays have such a negative reputation for so much of the population?

I think alot of homophobia but not all is due to the lifestyles many, many gay people lead.

It cant be denied that amongst the gay male community (not nearly as much so amongt lesbians) that many, many guys just go from bed to bed every single night and have multiple partners every month.

I think alot of gay men just dont really care at all about the ramifications of their health because of constant jumping from bed to bed. Also it seems like gay men are much, much heavier smokers in general. I think amongst the gay male population their seems to be a very disproportionate amount of people who have horrible inpulse control and dont worry about the hardships health wise they could impose on their one night-stands health.

Straight people and lesbians have people like that in their population but its very widespread amongst the gay male community.

I consider myself attracted to men, but I am a virgin but whenever I have gone out anywhere it seems like gay men dont even want to have a conversation before taking each other home. Even the 21 year old straight college students seem to have more impulse control and logic when they are very drunk then a majority of the gay male population.

I think where it stands now so much of the gay community lives a very, very unhealthy lifestyle guys sleeping around with hundreds of guys over several year periods of time. Its almost a public health hazard how so many gay men live in my opinion.

In my opinion this is a political issue though because so many straight people who dont approve of gay lifestyles probubly are right when they stereotype alot of gay people.
I think all of what you're saying is due to the MALE factor, rather than the GAY factor... think about it, aren't most men (generally speaking) hornier than women? So that would logically explain why two men are collectively worse than a man & woman, or two women - even you said it's not much of a problem among lesbians. Multiply that testosterone by two, and obviously you're going to have some randiness! But really, much of what you said is stereotypes, and certainly not true about most of my gay friends. Especially the smoking part, which I've never noticed or heard about.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Actually I'd have to agree with the people here who say it's just a trait of men in general.
Guess I should have read the whole thread, before saying exactly the same thing...

Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSNRI View Post
Scranton,

Thank you for being so honest about your own experience. What do you think is the solution to the issue of promiscuity among gay men? Don't you think there are plenty of other young, sensitive gay men such as yourself looking for a relationship rather than quicky and easy sex?
I think there are lots of gay men like that, if you look in the right places... gay bars are traditionally for "hooking up", especially when you factor in the drinking. That's also true about non-gay bars, which is why I don't bother looking for men there. I've always said "you're not going to find a good husband at the bar", and that goes for gay relationships too! My gay male friends are pretty normal, sexually speaking, and not out to hook up with every guy they meet... so I guess you just need to keep looking, and maybe join a social group rather than looking in bars/clubs.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:42 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think there are lots of gay men like that, if you look in the right places... gay bars are traditionally for "hooking up", especially when you factor in the drinking. That's also true about non-gay bars, which is why I don't bother looking for men there. I've always said "you're not going to find a good husband at the bar", and that goes for gay relationships too! My gay male friends are pretty normal, sexually speaking, and not out to hook up with every guy they meet... so I guess you just need to keep looking, and maybe join a social group rather than looking in bars/clubs.

Oddly enough I found a perfect catch one day at Barnes & Noble. He seemed too good to be true until I discovered he lived 90 minutes away in New Jersey.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:26 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydudey View Post
Did any of the gay men every consider this--that perhaps nature created a "checks and balances" in nature to control men's natural promiscuity? That without the temper of women to help control the sex drive, men will be consumed by lust, as in many gay men?
I don't think nature had much to do with the current situation. I wouldn't describe male promiscuity as natural. I believe it is a learned behavior, something you'd experience in a society that divorces love from sex, a population that is content to settle for empty experiences, and a culture that has completely forgotten the powerful responsibility that goes with sexual expression.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I don't think nature had much to do with the current situation. I wouldn't describe male promiscuity as natural. I believe it is a learned behavior, something you'd experience in a society that divorces love from sex, a population that is content to settle for empty experiences, and a culture that has completely forgotten the powerful responsibility that goes with sexual expression.
well then why then do males in all species of nature seem to have that same sexual promiscuity?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
well then why then do males in all species of nature seem to have that same sexual promiscuity?
The operative word is "seem". Many species are completely monogamous. Many species have females that are promiscuous. Let's also not forget the females who kill after mating. Ouch! My point was that I think human male promiscuity is an aberration based on the cultural influences I listed, not a natural state attributable to all males in general. I would not accept the argument that because I'm a guy, I get to be promiscuous. Hey baby, it's a guy thing...(so that's where the female urge to kill after mating comes from!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies