Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 11:50 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,503,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
THE WORLD; The President's Inclination: No, It Wasn't a Bow-Bow - The New York Times

This was in defense of Clinton doing a 1/4 bow....
snippet:
"But the "thou need not bow" commandment from the State Department's protocol office maintained a constancy of more than 200 years. Administration officials scurried to insist that the eager-to-please President had not really done the unthinkable."
That prompted a stern warning from Miss Manners...

Don't mess with Miss Manners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So tell me then..why in '94 the administration was all over themselves denying that Clinton did a 1/4 bow and today..nothing ? They insisted that Clinton did not break the 200 year old "do not bow" protocol.

They are not even denying it now. They tried the denial with the King but pictures don't lie.
Who cares? Did you miss the part of my post where I asked you for something substantive? Foreign policy is determined through lawmaking and negotiation, not with greetings.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Not the question and still merely your opinion, not a fact.
You're right. To those whom a cultural gesture in the host country is seen as "subservient," the bow is indeed a life and death matter. Good luck in 2012.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,843,467 times
Hot Air » Blog Archive » Video: 46 handshakes, one bow

Quote:
First, American Presidents do not bow to monarchs, or at least they didn’t through the first 43 Presidents and the 220 years they served as the US head of state. Perhaps a few of them might have done so out of cultural sensitivity when traveling to foreign nations as private citizens, either before or after their terms in office, but not when they represented the United States of America. Even the New York Times knew better than that in 1994.
Love the Lefts excuse; obama just "bowing" to cultural sensitivity. If it was an appropriate behavior, shouldn't the emperor returned the favor? Of course not - he was probably just as stunned as everybody else.

YouTube - Obama Bows to Japanese Emperor Akihito

Old 11-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hot Air » Blog Archive » Video: 46 handshakes, one bow

Love the Lefts excuse; obama just "bowing" to cultural sensitivity. If it was an appropriate behavior, shouldn't the emperor returned the favor? Of course not - he was probably just as stunned as everybody else.

YouTube - Obama Bows to Japanese Emperor Akihito
I don't see anyone making an excuse. I don't see anyone caring, except you, of course. What's that you posted above? That wouldn't be an excuse, would it? Times change. Protocol changes. It's a bow. No one cares.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,169,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Huh, were you there?
I didn't think so.
I guess one would have had to be there to see for themselves, so as not to rely on ficticious reporting? We all know how biased left and right reporting can be now, don't we? here's your eek back, you might need it somewhere else?
I sent the photo to snopes and asked them to track it down and comment on it.

Now.....as for the other photo........

Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,132,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, probably; sounds like the typically 'strong' NeoConfused position to me

Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 PM

37,758 posts, read 40,857,426 times
What a show off, strutting his big guyness!!! As a short person. I hate it when a tall person bends over to talk to me. I keep waiting for them to pat me on the head, pinch my cheeks and give me my allowance.

But seriously, on my list of Top 10 thing this President does wrong, this would rate about a 999. It just isn't a big deal...unless he pinched their cheeks, too.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:02 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,264,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I can see the teabagger signs now.

"Obama bowed, and grandma died."

...wait a minute...

"Obama bowed, and grandma...

...and...and...

"Obama bowed, and Maureen Dowd."

That's it!
Well, if he did, Maureen would be wowed.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,280,299 times
Universal Protocol

The debtor always bows lower than the creditor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies