Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times

Advertisements

Be prepared for any act of stupidity when making an unpopular decision like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
just because there is such thing as hoaxes, don't mean there isnt such thing as the real deal.

Some women will hoax a man by telling them they are pregnant, even though they are not really. That don't mean that all women that claim they are pregnant, are actually faking it.
This is an excellent analogy.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:04 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
and it is also true the other way around, so this thread is at a stalemate.
Agreed. rhawkins74's analogy didn't make much sense anyway.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
The whole argument is a fallacy, because you're saying EVERY racial incident is basically made up. Anytime one is mentioned on here the first thing out of peoples' mouths is, "oh someone must be making it up."

Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
The whole argument is a fallacy, because you're saying EVERY racial incident is basically made up. Anytime one is mentioned on here the first thing out of peoples' mouths is, "oh someone must be making it up."
I'm agreeing with tb here, and saying that that is why rhawkins' analogy makes perfect sense. It is true that some women say they are pregnant when they really aren't. But most of the time, women are really pregnant. Some people lie. No news here. But that doesn't mean that everyone lies.

By the same token, just because someone makes up a story about discrimination doesn't mean that everyone does. I find that notion to be illogical. Try to apply the same line of reasoning to something else.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:02 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
its an unpopular decision to adopt a black kid?

plenty of people have done it with wild success.
Phillip Drummond, George Papadapolis...

its old bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Be prepared for any act of stupidity when making an unpopular decision like that.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
There was nothing in my post that indicated I believed that every hate or race crime is a hoax. That was a wrong assumption made on your part.

I am cynical of the press in general because the media is too quick to exploit hot button topics like race or religion and a lot of people get really worked up over something that may or may not be true. Hence, my skepticism.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
There was nothing in my post that indicated I believed that every hate or race crime is a hoax. That was a wrong assumption made on your part.

I am cynical of the press in general because the media is too quick to exploit hot button topics like race or religion and a lot of people get really worked up over something that may or may not be true. Hence, my skepticism.
I will agree with you on that, and I think that is part of the problem. People are quick to jump to judgment and half-baked analysis without all the facts. I would much rather talk to people about historical incidents about which more context is known, but people rarely do that here, and that is merely an observation, not a judgment.

The other day, I posted a thread about the relevance of satire as a means of political criticism in any contentious time, not just our own. I did so in terms of what I perceived to be other people's misunderstanding of a current example of satire in popular culture. That thread died a slow death, perhaps because people found that topic boring. While I'm not saying that the topic I proposed was particularly interesting, I would say that people tend not to jump on discussions that would lead to discussions that would almost necessarily have to include historical evidence and careful reasoning. I wonder why.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its an unpopular decision to adopt a black kid?

plenty of people have done it with wild success.
Phillip Drummond, George Papadapolis...

its old bag.

To racists, it certainly is an unpopular decision...........

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM

138 posts, read 304,959 times
For the cowards who do there dirt at night everything will soon come to light, for the the blind eye who may have seen this shame on you! an know this for when judgement day arrives I hope an pray that God will have mercy on you like you did for his child, because we all are children of God an when we donate blood is it not the same, when we donate organs who say's no because it came from a colored person, when the two are mixed they are beautiful everyone loves salt an pepper on the meal ????? wake the hell up this is not you'r world it is GOD'S an he has the last word I promise you, YOU could be going through something,a love one dying GOD can bring a COWARD to his knee's, to the lady who posted this many prayer's know that you can go somewhere else in this world where people are not like this...lost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies