Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,228,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - you're the one implying that it's somehow too dangerous to follow precedent and try terrorists in civilian court. And citing the cartoon crisis to somehow support it. Now you expect me to demonstrate relevance?

Well, then: Denmark stood by established court practice. In Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, the GWB administration had to cite Benedict f*cking Arnold to argue that there was precedence for military tribunals.
I was not sure how you were connecting the dots but they now seem to be crisscrossing all over the place. The events following the publication of the cartoons--and there were repercussions in other countries--was in reference to potential dangers to the jurors, should they vote guilty and then come into the crosshairs of militant Islamists.

I also gave a number of other reasons why I felt it ill-advised the trial be in open civilian court other than potential danger to the jurors--that one was only a sideline comment, not the primary one.

For the record, I am well aware of the actions Denmark took in their handling of the cartoons and I applaud them for it. I never stated, nor even implied, anything to the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:14 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,228,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out why you're now trying to move the goalposts of your original question; "You do remember what happened in Denmark when the cartoons that "insulted" Mohammed were published a few years ago, don't you?".

First I pointed out that I didn't need you to remind me what happens in Denmark, since I'm quite tuned into the happenings in that country, by virtue of the fact that that's where my entire family on my husband's side lives, and where my husband is from.

Then my husband himself, who happens to be Dane_in_LA, actually gave you a specific answer, which was basically, yes, he remembers. He remembers that the government stood up to the lunatics, the entire Danish press re-published the cartoons and the fools who made the terror threats were tried in a civilian court.

And let me add, none of the jurors were scared into hiding. None of them were even threatened. None of the perpetrators are running around free to inflict more harm on Denmark. Basically, none of the fears you're mongering here came to fruition in the one case you cited in support of your argument, that military tribunals are a better venue than our federal court system because of said unsupported fears.

So I guess that answers how this relates to the military tribunal vs open trial in federal court issue. I hope that explanation was sufficient.
My question was to Dane_In_LA and not to anything you had said.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,453,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post

To me the death penalty is irrelevant but allowing them to use our courts to spew their hate is not. I don't feel they should be given any more attention then they have already gotten that is what they want.
I'm very sorry for your loss. I cannot begin to fathom the anger you have over how your loved one(s) were gruesomely murdered. It must be very emotionally draining to deal with the still-unresolved issue of justice for your family. I can certainly understand your desire to see a quick and decisive resolution.

That said, I agree with domergurl; more attention isn't what these scum want, they want to die as martyrs. That's why they said they'd plead guilty only if we would agree to sentence them to death. See here. So if not giving them what they want is part of what's driving you, then a full trial would be the way to figuratively slap them in the face.

I know this must be terribly difficult. I'd just ask you to have a little faith. The people in charge of this process really do want the same thing you do. I sincerely believe you will get the justice you seek.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 PM

47,021 posts, read 26,097,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I was not sure how you were connecting the dots but they now seem to be crisscrossing all over the place. The events following the publication of the cartoons--and there were repercussions in other countries--was in reference to potential dangers to the jurors, should they vote guilty and then come into the crosshairs of militant Islamists.
It comes with having jury trials - not to be overly callous, but the phrase "shut up and soldier" comes to mind. Mobster trials and gang member trials are probably as dangerous (if not more so) for all involved than terrorist trials are.

You can cite other reasons, and while I'm still unconvinced, they make more sense. But the risk of repercussions against judges and jurors is one thing a country with open courts has to be able to look straight in the eye.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,447,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm very sorry for your loss. I cannot begin to fathom the anger you have over how your loved one(s) were gruesomely murdered. It must be very emotionally draining to deal with the still-unresolved issue of justice for your family. I can certainly understand your desire to see a quick and decisive resolution.

That said, I agree with domergurl; more attention isn't what these scum want, they want to die as martyrs. That's why they said they'd plead guilty only if we would agree to sentence them to death. See here. So if not giving them what they want is part of what's driving you, then a full trial would be the way to figuratively slap them in the face.

I know this must be terribly difficult. I'd just ask you to have a little faith. The people in charge of this process really do want the same thing you do. I sincerely believe you will get the justice you seek.

Thank you. It is a battle everyday knowing that the people responsible have still not paid for their crimes but I still see no reason for them to be tried in our courts. A Military court would be fine, it is much faster and they do not have the chance to be in the public. They don't deserve any attention at all. The victims deserve the attention not the killers.

I have little faith in our courts they are a joke. Motion after motion, appeal after appeal, charges dropped on technicalities. It is to easy for him to walk or get a lighter sentence. It only takes one motion that his civil rights were violated or one wrong step taken by someone for him to get off.

I find it very frustrating that people who have not lost loved ones want this animal blocks away from where my family died. He does not deserve it, he does not deserve the circus that this trial WILL become.

Again thank you for your kind words but having him here only opens the wound again.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,447,851 times
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about and why I did not want them tried here.

Lawyer: 9/11 Defendants Will Tell Jury 'Why They Did It' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Quote:
NEW YORK — The five men facing trial in the Sept. 11 attacks will plead not guilty so that they can air their criticisms of U.S. foreign policy, the lawyer for one of the defendants said Sunday.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,347,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Loons do not know the difference.

They still cannot understand how things work.

I am believing most liberals are on the enemies side of things.

GET A GRIP LIBERALS, you cannot even figure out the difference in the two.

You have no clue what the heck is going on.

Op- If I were you I would run and hide since you did not know the difference in the two trials and the info that Sanrene had to provide for you once again.
S'matter - you afraid of who might end up getting convicted?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,490,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
S'matter - you afraid of who might end up getting convicted?
S'mwatcha talkin' bout?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,327,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You miss the point of the post: that "civilian prosecution" was all right with Konservative Kommentators in 2006, but suddenly not all right now. What in the landscape do you see that has changed?
But what is the job that MM was created to do? They do a very good job of it here for the base they are writing for. They get an F from me, though, because they fail to realize that Obama has already given the defense lawyers a chance to get them off. How did he do that MM would ask? Well now he said on TV the other day that they are guilty so will be convicted and put to death. Guilty before the trial? Surely he knows better than to talk like that.

Look at MM and see what they say about the possibility of a conspiracy here.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,327,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If you try him in a Military Court, are you giving him Prisoner of War Status?
A POW who has been repeatedly waterboarded

We hung Japanese Interrogators who waterboarded POWs
Do you know how much money one of the guards from Gitmo said they spend on the average to feed each prisoner there? He said $50 and that should feed them pretty well, even though they must have have only their native food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies