Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times

Advertisements

I agree with mc cain for once. Shock. I told AARP to go jump off a cliff years ago. They bugged me so much that I loaded their postpaid envelope with as much junk as I could stuff into it, and made them pay the postage. Once I wrote "check enclosed". I LIED. hahahahahaah. K.M.A. AARP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I dropped my membership six months ago. Wrote a letter and let them know why.
I signed up 3 months ago. Wrote them a letter and let them know why.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Politics has entered AARP. Swaying members to vote a certain way has corrupted them.
Happens to all good organizations after they grow big enough to have influence.
Politics has ALWAYS been part of the AARP. Who do you think kept the Republicans at bay when they tried to attack Social Security? And, politics also enters the ASA too. It is just a shill conservative Republican organization.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 PM

403 posts, read 535,074 times
i'd rather see them cut up their big corporation ties

Old 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
AARP will jump into bed with anyone. They are merely snuggling up to Big Government at this time.
A much better bed partner than Big Pharma and Big Insurance in my view.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Not every area has the same companies offering Advantage Plans, and if these subsidies are cut, then millions of seniors will be left with nothing but straight Medicare, which is very expensive if any kind of medical care is needed. Seniors pay an additional premium for their Advantage Plans, above and beyond the $96/month that is deducted from their SS check. For 2010, most will end up paying close to a total of $200 per month in premiums. Even at that there are areas where there is no choice of plans. Some insurance companies have already pulled out of regions they previously covered. IF there is no insurance company to offer an Advantage Plan, and there are no doctors that will accept Medicare patients, how do you figure that these cuts will not result in degradation of the coverage? That's faulty reasoning, or reasoning based on incomplete understanding of what is actually happening.

Obama has said he wants to ELIMINATE all Advantage Plans. So, what will be left? Plain Medicare, the public option, or AARP Supplemental insurance which will have no competition and typically costs $100-$200 more in premiums. That's why AARP is on board with Obamacare. It's AARP that stands to gain by forcing more people into their supplemental plans, and the Government stands to gain by having them move to a public option. You talk as though all seniors are rolling in bundles of money when in fact the bulk of them have just their social security to fall back on.
It is $200 only if they are also enrolled in Part D (prescription drug benefit) as I read it. That is not bad for having your medical needs FULLY covered with almost zero out of pocket. Many younger American workers would love to have that plan!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:51 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
I wonder how much in campaign donations McCain got from the right wing American Senior Association which is in competition with AARPs. They are one of Rush's sponsors and that's enough for me to stay away from the ASA.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-04-2009 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 12-04-2009, 06:24 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I wonder how much in campaign donations McCain got from the right wing American Senior Association which is in competition with AARPs. They are one of Rush's sponsors and that's enough for me to stay away from the ASA.

You got some real facts on that one? I have seen a few senior groups mentioned in this thread. You would probabaly be more comfortable with AARP and Danny "Castro Lover " Glover anyway.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:16 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
The bill concerning Medicare advantage plans was signed into law by G.W Bush in 2003. The House version was passed by a margin of 1 vote, even though the House was predominately Republican. The predominantly Republican Senate version was passed by a large margin. The bills were unified in conference then sent back to House for approval. Late in the voting, after several hours the bill was losing, until some arm twisting and promise of "substantial aggressive campaign support", otherwise know as money, a few Republicans switched there votes so the bill would pass by 2 votes. That's how hard it was for the Republicans to get this passed, even when they were a hefty majority. The Ins. Cos. were now in hog heaven. The subsidy the Ins. Co. gets was, at that time, between $800-$2000 per month depending on health status. The typical ins. plan cost from $150-$350. Do you see an incentive for Ins. Cos. here to keep this the way it is? Do you see who put this plan into play and who is now fighting against its reform? I know several of you will ignore the facts, but maybe some will take a little time and look into it, instead of just blindly accepting what they are being told by those that created the program.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Not every area has the same companies offering Advantage Plans, and if these subsidies are cut, then millions of seniors will be left with nothing but straight Medicare, which is very expensive if any kind of medical care is needed. Seniors pay an additional premium for their Advantage Plans, above and beyond the $96/month that is deducted from their SS check. For 2010, most will end up paying close to a total of $200 per month in premiums. Even at that there are areas where there is no choice of plans. Some insurance companies have already pulled out of regions they previously covered. IF there is no insurance company to offer an Advantage Plan, and there are no doctors that will accept Medicare patients, how do you figure that these cuts will not result in degradation of the coverage? That's faulty reasoning, or reasoning based on incomplete understanding of what is actually happening.

Obama has said he wants to ELIMINATE all Advantage Plans. So, what will be left? Plain Medicare, the public option, or AARP Supplemental insurance which will have no competition and typically costs $100-$200 more in premiums. That's why AARP is on board with Obamacare. It's AARP that stands to gain by forcing more people into their supplemental plans, and the Government stands to gain by having them move to a public option. You talk as though all seniors are rolling in bundles of money when in fact the bulk of them have just their social security to fall back on.
You really should know what you're talking about before you post.

Medicare supplement plans, or Medigap policies, are standardized by law and are indentified by letters a - l . Many insurance companies offer these plans and the only thing that differs from company to company are the premiums for the various plans. AARP is but one provider of Medigap coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies