Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM

450 posts, read 502,717 times

Advertisements

I may be in the minority but I see a few similarities with the beginning of Reagan's' Tenure and Obama's now
For example....Carter left the economy is a tough state similar to how Bush did when he left office.
I'm seriously wondering that if from this point on Obama completely mirrors Reagan's presidency. Would the people bashing Obama now start to love him?

Lets imagine if Obama did what Reagan did!

Lets say that in Obama's 2nd year in office U.S. enters into a more severe Recession (the worst at that time since the Great Depression), like Reagan did....

And Obama caused a soaring budget deficit to begin in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did....

And Obama caused a slight rise in inflation, interest rates to double and unemployment to reach a new high (highest since the Great Depression) in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did (10.8%)....

Lets say Obama's approval rating falls as low as Nixon's and Carter's were (35%) & Obama's party lose majority seat in House midterm elections in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did....

And Obama raises Taxes on Businesses & Americans (the largest tax increase in history $100 billion tax hike) in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did (TEFRA ACT of 1982)....

And lets say to get out of the recession Obama borrows records amount of money (quad-tripling the U.S. National debt), does Economic/Deficit Spending (continuing a bail-out of Chrysler, the railroad industry and Government takeover of failing Railroad Companies or the bailout of Banks like Continental National Bank deemed "TOO BIG TO FAIL), like Reagan did....

And lets say Obama administration began to fund and provide arms to two of our biggest enemies (lets use the Taliban and Iran), like Reagan did (giving arms/aid to Iraq and Iran), also if Obama began providing funding for a guerrilla organization (Like the Guerrillas in Darfur) **against federal law** who were charged with genocide and war crimes, like Reagan did (providing funding for the Contras)....

Also what if Obama gave a record number of illegal immigrants complete and full amnesty in an Immigration Reform Act, arguably causing a worsening immigration problem in America like Reagan did....

Or if Obama gave reparations to Black people, Like Reagan gave reparations to the Japanese (who were interned in camps during WWII)....

And lets say at the end of Obama's presidency the United States is by far the largest nation in debt borrowing money from foreign countries our grandkids will be left to pay, the national debt is 3x as much and the federal budget is 5x as much as when he came into office, like Reagan did....

BUT!

What if Obama by his 4th year in office, the recession has recovered, Unemployment is at an all-time low (since WWII), businesses are beginning to fully recover, America GDP starts a growth an average of 4% every year after, like Reagan did

Or if Obama in his 2nd term lowered taxes by more than anytime in U.S. history (for Top Earners nearly cut in half), increased tax incentives for investments and home purchases, like Reagan Did

Lets say by the end of Obama's presidency he plays a major instrumental role in defeating Islamic extremism and creating a better overall peace in the World along with winning the Afghanistan War, Like Reagan did (in his role in defeating Communism and winning the Cold War with the fall of the Soviet Union)

And lets say by the end of Obama's presidency overall the economy is largely prosperous (inflation record low, unemployment record low with 16 million new jobs created, record low oil prices, etc...) and America is the leading nation or superpower in the world.

Again lets say if Obama does every single thing like Reagan did throughout his Presidency, I seriously want to know would Conservatives/Republicans praise Obama?
Would you all stop bashing and start liking him?
Would Obama go down as one of the greatest Presidents of All Time?

I know a lot of this is hyperbole and hypothicals, but I seriously would like to hear you alls answers....

Last edited by y2flyy; 12-04-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 PM

**screaming in microphone** hello is this thing on!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 10,451 times
I think the answere to your question is, would the democrats like him? would you? Or are you racist against white people? Sounds like it.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Lol dude no taxs what the hell are you talking about?
I love Reagan and how do you assume that I am not white?
LOL you didn't even attempt to answer the question

Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
I may be in the minority but I see a few similarities with the beginning of Reagan's' Tenure and Obama's now
For example....Carter left the economy is a tough state similar to how Bush did when he left office.
I'm seriously wondering that if from this point on Obama completely mirrors Reagan's presidency. Would the people bashing Obama now start to love him?

Lets imagine if Obama did what Reagan did!

Lets say that in Obama's 2nd year in office U.S. enters into a more severe Recession (the worst at that time since the Great Depression), like Reagan did....

And Obama caused a soaring budget deficit to begin in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did....

And Obama caused a slight rise in inflation, interest rates to double and unemployment to reach a new high (highest since the Great Depression) in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did (10.8%)....

Lets say Obama's approval rating falls as low as Nixon's and Carter's were (35%) & Obama's party lose majority seat in House midterm elections in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did....

And Obama raises Taxes on Businesses & Americans (the largest tax increase in history $100 billion tax hike) in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did (TEFRA ACT of 1982)....

And lets say to get out of the recession Obama borrows records amount of money (quad-tripling the U.S. National debt), does Economic/Deficit Spending (continuing a bail-out of Chrysler, the railroad industry and Government takeover of failing Railroad Companies or the bailout of Banks like Continental National Bank deemed "TOO BIG TO FAIL), like Reagan did....

And lets say Obama administration began to fund and provide arms to two of our biggest enemies (lets use the Taliban and Iran), like Reagan did (giving arms/aid to Iraq and Iran), also if Obama began providing funding for a guerrilla organization (Like the Guerrillas in Darfur) **against federal law** who were charged with genocide and war crimes, like Reagan did (providing funding for the Contras)....

Also what if Obama gave a record number of illegal immigrants complete and full amnesty in an Immigration Reform Act, arguably causing a worsening immigration problem in America like Reagan did....

Or if Obama gave reparations to Black people, Like Reagan gave reparations to the Japanese (who were interned in camps during WWII)....

And lets say at the end of Obama's presidency the United States is by far the largest nation in debt borrowing money from foreign countries our grandkids will be left to pay, the national debt is 3x as much and the federal budget is 5x as much as when he came into office, like Reagan did....

BUT!

What if Obama by his 4th year in office, the recession has recovered, Unemployment is at an all-time low (since WWII), businesses are beginning to fully recover, America GDP starts a growth an average of 4% every year after, like Reagan did

Or if Obama in his 2nd term lowered taxes by more than anytime in U.S. history (for Top Earners nearly cut in half), increased tax incentives for investments and home purchases, like Reagan Did

Lets say by the end of Obama's presidency he plays a major instrumental role in defeating Islamic extremism and creating a better overall peace in the World along with winning the Afghanistan War, Like Reagan did (in his role in defeating Communism and winning the Cold War with the fall of the Soviet Union)

And lets say by the end of Obama's presidency overall the economy is largely prosperous (inflation record low, unemployment record low with 16 million new jobs created, record low oil prices, etc...) and America is the leading nation or superpower in the world.

Again lets say if Obama does every single thing like Reagan did throughout his Presidency, I seriously want to know would Conservatives/Republicans praise Obama?
Would you all stop bashing and start liking him?
Would Obama go down as one of the greatest Presidents of All Time?

I know a lot of this is hyperbole and hypothicals, but I seriously would like to hear you alls answers....
He worked his way clear back to Bush the other night when he proposed using every failed part of the Iraq war and will fail in Afghanistan for the same reasons they did up to 2007 when the surge took place. Watch him and see if he makes it all the way back to Reagan.

Look at the people who are running the Congress and think about what would happen to him if he did what you propose. Can you spell impeachment? He won't be doing what you propose.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,864 times
NO they would not. Nancy was probably the president for most of his second term. Old age had settled in. Plus RR messed up the UNIONS.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
He worked his way clear back to Bush the other night when he proposed using every failed part of the Iraq war and will fail in Afghanistan for the same reasons they did up to 2007 when the surge took place. Watch him and see if he makes it all the way back to Reagan.

Look at the people who are running the Congress and think about what would happen to him if he did what you propose. Can you spell impeachment? He won't be doing what you propose.
I agree on the Congress part Roy and that is my point, how do Conservatives rave and praise Reagan but now if Obama does some of the exact same things (bailouts, deficit spending, etc...) they hate him and think he will bring DOWN AMERICA! (DOOM AND GLOOM!)

I seriously would like an informed answer from a Conservative....

Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,479 times
Default If Obama does exactly what Ronald Reagan did....would Republicans/Conservatives love him?

I voted for President Reagan both times. I recall that the nation's recovery from the Carter doldrums was a little slow, but Reagan enjoyed good public support.

The rabid right's psychotic yammering over Obama's attempts at recovery are unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I voted for President Reagan both times. I recall that the nation's recovery from the Carter doldrums was a little slow, but Reagan enjoyed good public support.

The rabid right's psychotic yammering over Obama's attempts at recovery are unlike anything I've ever seen before.
You're absolutely right skoro but Obama is getting bashed and criticized for a lot of the things they praised or ignored from Reagan....I wonder why.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:37 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,445 times
Reagan's and Obama's stated goals are different.

Two guys with a hammer. One guy wants to build homes for the poor and one guy likes to destroy stuff. The fact that they both use the same tool to achieve their goals does not mean they are equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies