Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Are you trying to hijack the topic?
I don't see it.
The Public Has Been Hoodwinked!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
Are you trying to hijack the topic?
I'm sure not....it's just that they have such limited attention spans.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I don't see it.
The Public Has Been Hoodwinked!?
Yes, don't you read the first post in a new thread before you jump in with whatever it is that you're bursting to say??

Here's the first line at least:
We, the public, have been hoodwinked by the stimulus packages.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
The OP and his/her supporters are totally off the mark. There is next to no one left who does not concede that the stimulus has in fact done almost exactly wnat it was designed to do. There is broad consensus between public and private sector analysts that the stimulus -- not enacted until the middle of the first quarter of this year -- resulted in about a million jobs saved or created by the third quarter and a gain of about 3.0 percentage points in third quarter GDP growth. Is that enough to erase the horrific losses that were dumped on us by the previous administration? Not at all, but it's an awfully nice start, one that mindless partisans can only try to wish away...

Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,302 times
Quote:
Yes, don't you read the first post in a new thread before you jump in with whatever it is that you're bursting to say??

Here's the first line at least:
We, the public, have been hoodwinked by the stimulus packages.
I've read the first post, and, it is ignorant.
Americans have been hoodwinked before, and it will happen again.
I don't view stimulus as hoodwink. Doing something was better than doing nothing.
I disagree with the OP.
now you understand?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The OP and his/her supporters are totally off the mark. There is next to no one left who does not concede that the stimulus has in fact done almost exactly wnat it was designed to do. There is broad consensus between public and private sector analysts that the stimulus -- not enacted until the middle of the first quarter of this year -- resulted in about a million jobs saved or created by the third quarter and a gain of about 3.0 percentage points in third quarter GDP growth. Is that enough to erase the horrific losses that were dumped on us by the previous administration? Not at all, but it's an awfully nice start, one that mindless partisans can only try to wish away...
You are in deep too.
You know those 'saved or gained' job numbers are inaccurate/fudged and unemployment climbed well beyond the 8%....stimulus was supposed to stop that from happening. Stimulus was predicted to create 3.5 million jobs...that's about how many have been lost since it was enacted. The OA top economic advisers have said it's already done all it will do (not that it did what it was designed to do) and that any further recovery will depend on the private sector....yet O is out there talking about a second stimulus...spending the TARP money. If he couldn't get the job done with the first TRILLION dollars I don't think we should throw more money at it.
Maybe he should try real tax cuts, more than the $65 a month.

Most people are still saving and paying down debt, lessening their risk....there's way too much uncertainty for us to be fooled into thinking things are fine now and we should get back to life as usual. We all need to think about setting more money aside to pay for this health care boondoggle and for the extra taxes we might face for exhaling CO2.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
point well take, yes it is because of the fact that word was used over and over and over CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE.
Other administrations are and were at fault also, i feel it is because most THOUGHT THAT CHANGE WAS GOING TO BE JUST THAT A DIFFERENT CHANGE, and it has not happened.
You are right people heard the word change so much it got to the point thats all they heard. That and 95% tax cut and they didnt realize there was other ways for Obama to increase their taxes. They only thought about income taxes

Old 12-10-2009, 09:56 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What tax increases? Everyone who makes less than $250k a year just got the biggest tax cut in history with the stimulus bill.
1 Obama already increased taxes on smokers none of them earn less then 250K

lol @ Biggest tax cut in history. Obama gave out tax credits NOT a tax cut. My husband is so grateful for that extra 3.00 in his check. Let me tell ya

There is many new taxes in this healthcare bill alone, you really should research that, How do you think they are going to raise money to pay for this trillion dollar bill?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The OP and his/her supporters are totally off the mark. There is next to no one left who does not concede that the stimulus has in fact done almost exactly wnat it was designed to do. ...
That's great news! Since only some $237B of the $787B was spent -- with such excellent results -- that means that we'll have $550B to put toward the deficit, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
You are in deep too.
You know those 'saved or gained' job numbers are inaccurate/fudged and unemployment climbed well beyond the 8%....stimulus was supposed to stop that from happening. Stimulus was predicted to create 3.5 million jobs...that's about how many have been lost since it was enacted. The OA top economic advisers have said it's already done all it will do (not that it did what it was designed to do) and that any further recovery will depend on the private sector....yet O is out there talking about a second stimulus...spending the TARP money. If he couldn't get the job done with the first TRILLION dollars I don't think we should throw more money at it.
Maybe he should try real tax cuts, more than the $65 a month.

Most people are still saving and paying down debt, lessening their risk....there's way too much uncertainty for us to be fooled into thinking things are fine now and we should get back to life as usual. We all need to think about setting more money aside to pay for this health care boondoggle and for the extra taxes we might face for exhaling CO2.
Agreed. As for extra taxes for exhaling CO2, we can cut those in half by breathing slower. Exhale every other time.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Bad housing and lending regulatory policy since the 1970s is a major culprit that has brought the United States to it's knees financially. Both major political parties contributed to this.
The banking crisis of today was caused by Deregulation - just as it was deregulation that caused the Savings and Loan Failures of 1980's - both happening under a Republican Presidency. It was caused by Bank's lax lending standards, deregulation of the global credit market and Bank's predatory lending practices.

Although there has been deregulation and regulation of Banks since the 1930's, this particular "Crash" had nothing to do with regulations or lending practices of the 1970's.

It had all to do with the blatant incompetency of the Bush Jr Administration. Sorry - this one can't be pinned down to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies