Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Are their proposals so inane and useless, that Reid feels justified in saying the GOP is not engaging with a genuine effort? I don't know, it would be nice so see what has been offered for consideration.
My post above yours went up the same time yours did. Check the link in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yes!
GOP Objects To Putting Health Care Amendments Online

It seems the Repubs do not want anybody to see what amendments are proposed. Reid wanted them to be posted on the Senate web site. The GOP objected, citing "trust problems"? Could it possibly be that the GOP does not want the public to see what things they actually are proposing?
I doubt that they are not making proposals, it's just what they are proposing that they do not want to be generally seen. Why? Are their proposals so inane and useless, that Reid feels justified in saying the GOP is not engaging with a genuine effort? I don't know, it would be nice so see what has been offered for consideration.
It was one Republican senator, Mike Enzi of WY, that objected--not the GOP--and his reasons for objecting are quoted in the misnamed article from the HUFFINGTON POST (hardly an objective news site), "GOP Objects To Putting Health Care Amendments Online". The article itself says it was "Republicans" (plural used in deliberate error) who objected to the proposal. Enzi said, ""In light of some of the trust problems and transparency problems we have, while this appears to lead to greater transparency, we can also see ways that this can limit the ability for the minority to offer amendments. And, therefore, I object,"

Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
My post above yours went up the same time yours did. Check the link in it.
That is a link to the GOP alternative plan, that justifiably went no where. It was another attempt to delay the whole process. Some of what is in their proposal, would be good in a final bill. Are they making such amendment proposals to the plan currently being worked on?

As you may recall back in July the Senate was working on this issue as well. The were 160 Republican proposals adopted into the plan then being worked. Republican votes or the plan .... zero. http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...on-on-part.php
Do you not see a patten of obstruction to moving forward on this issue? I wish they would get involved, they have ideas that are very valuable.

The situation is, Dem bill or Rep bill? It should not be one or the other, it should be a melding of both.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM

I don't see how you can dismiss the Republican proposals as simply being "delaying tactics". That seems a bit disingenuous.

Here are another couple of links that go to Republican alternative proposals.

http://rules-republicans.house.gov/M...tive3962_9.pdf

The Freedom Project - Side-by-Side: Pelosi's Health Care Takeover vs. the GOP Alternative (http://freedomproject.org/Blog/Read.aspx?GUID=dd253b85-d0ea-46db-b5b4-9e7a0b9420ac - broken link)

This link is to a page on Senator Mike Johanns website. This page lists many amendments offered and also which ones have been acted upon.

Senate Bill Amendments - Healthcare - U.S. Senator Mike Johanns for the State of Nebraska

Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 PM

78,365 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm a bit of a cynic. I think a lot of senators pushing the current health care plan know we can't afford it as a nation, but want to look good for their leftist voter base. I suspect they are secretly hoping that this bill will die before it can be voted on. That way they can blame the Republicans for killing it to their base, but not suffer the disaster of uncontrolled debt growth that will come with it.
Yeah. Such is the burden of having all the power and then trying to take none of the responsibility. The House and Senate, despite also being inept used to have the buffoon Bush to blame everything on.

I'm a moderate, independent voter and I did vote for Obama. (To be honest, Palin as VP was sufficiently bad to push me Dem). I'm frankly astonished at how all of the sudden people that were anti-war are ok with it because "Bush started it" and that healthcare isn't passing because "republican opposition". I close my eyes and can't tell that Bush has even left office.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Time for a joke. I got this from a friend. I imagine we have all felt this to be a perfect solution to one political problem or another at times.

While discussing the upcoming Universal Health Care Program with my sister-in-law the other day, I think we have found the solution. I am sure you have heard the ideas that if you're a senior you need to suck it up and give up the idea that you need any health care.Unheard of. We simply can't afford to take care of you anymore.You don't need any medications for your high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, etc. Let's take care of the young people. After all, they will be ruling the world very soon.

So here is the solution. When you turn 70, you get a gun and 3 bulletsYou are allowed to shoot one senator and 2 representatives. Of course, you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head and all the health care you need!New teeth, great! Need glasses, no problem! New hip, knee, kidney, lung, heart? Well bring it on.And who will be paying for all of this? The same government that just told you that you are too old for health care. And, since you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any income tax.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
It was one Republican senator, Mike Enzi of WY, that objected--not the GOP--and his reasons for objecting are quoted in the misnamed article from the HUFFINGTON POST (hardly an objective news site), "GOP Objects To Putting Health Care Amendments Online". The article itself says it was "Republicans" (plural used in deliberate error) who objected to the proposal. Enzi said, ""In light of some of the trust problems and transparency problems we have, while this appears to lead to greater transparency, we can also see ways that this can limit the ability for the minority to offer amendments. And, therefore, I object,"
It was put up for "unanimous consent", if only one Senator objects, the motion fails. If Enzi had not been there, do you think the motion would have gone thru? Please. It was an attempt to allow Americans to be able to see who and what is trying to prevent this bill from going forward. I fail to see why any Senators would feel comfortable about their participation or lack of it, being available to the public. Unless, of course .....

Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I do not get it Harry. You guys won the election you have a super majority why is you blame the republicans for blocking health care. You have the 60 votes you do not need the republicans so stop whining its the republicans. harry pretend your a leader and use the 60 voted you have
Democratic party is a big tent party many dems can win or lose at any election so have to vote like Reps. half the time if they want to keep their cushy job.

Almost all Republicans left are in areas where the racist vote(aka base) will keep them in office no matter they do . Simple really, one has to be simple and/or phony not to see this.

Last edited by Wingfoot; 12-08-2009 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Reid is looking for just one Republican vote so he can say "bipartisan" so when this thing turns into a massive money sink "both sides can take responsibility".

Sorry Mr. Reid..get your own party on board and vote it through and then stand tall when the ship sinks and leave the Republicans out of it. He doesn't need them..he just says he does.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I do not get it Harry. You guys won the election you have a super majority why is you blame the republicans for blocking health care. You have the 60 votes you do not need the republicans so stop whining its the republicans. harry pretend your a leader and use the 60 voted you have
All the answers you're looking for are here. You just need to read about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies