Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There were 2.5 million job openings on the last business day of October 2009, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. The job openings rate was unchanged over the month at 1.9 percent. The openings rate has held relatively steady since March 2009. The hires rate (3.0 percent) and the separations rate (3.2 percent) were essentially unchanged and remained low. This release includes estimates of the number and rate of job openings, hires, and separations for the total nonfarm sector by industry and geographic region.

The hires rate was essentially unchanged in October at 3.0 percent. The rate has remained between 3.0 percent and 3.2 percent since February 2009. The hires level fell by 1.5 million from the most recent peak in July 2006 to March 2009 but has declined by only 133,000 since. The hires rate was essentially unchanged in every industry and region in October. (See table 2.)
Over the 12 months ending in October, the hires rate (not seasonally adjusted) declined for total nonfarm and total private. The hires rate decreased over the 12 months for wholesale trade; retail trade; information; accommodation and food services; and state and local government. The rate increased for federal government. The hires rate fell over the past 12 months in the Midwest and South.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/jolts.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If 10% are unemployed, then doesn't that mean most are still employed? Use a calculator if you must. So, there are still plenty of people who are left to count.

I am not a Dem, but I am optimistic. See, optimism and pessimism does not depend on a political party, although chronic pessimism seems to be synonymous with the Republican party.
Except when it comes to global warming and health care, yeah the Dems are pretty doom and gloom.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,742 times
<H4>Actual Labor stats -spin free

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Series Id: LNS14000000
Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Rate
Labor force status: Unemployment rate
Type of data: Percent or rate
http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/graphics/LNS14000000_24338_1260677935316.gif (broken link)

Last edited by Bub; 12-12-2009 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: overposted pic x2

Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Bub

Default But to get us back on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
FYI, HERE is the report that is being "SPUN":
Retail trade sales were up 1.4 percent (±0.5%) from October 2009 and 2.2 percent (±0.5%) above last year. Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers were down 9.3 percent (±1.8%) from November 2008, but gasoline stations sales were up 8.9% (±1.3%) from last year.
ADVANCE MONTHLY SALES FOR RETAIL AND FOOD SERVICES: Latest Release (FROM US CENSUS.GOV)
You can see the not-so-hightech charts there as well...LOTS AND LOTS OF CAR SALES..but it is SCARY about the building supplies...down from 08! Didnt think we could go much lower.
There..back on target

Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Note that in spite of all the wingnut claims that Obama is responsible for the massive rise in unemployment, the rate increase in 08 under Bush was virtually identical to the rate increase in 09 under Obama.

In Jan of 08 the unemployment rate was 4.9.
When Bush left office in Jan of 09 it had climbed to 7.6 - an increase of 2.7.

By October the rate had climbed to 10.2 - an increase of 2.6.

It has since dropped .2

http://api.ning.com/files/jxmmGj-ZP*J6xtbEeD6wBpD5rtQKGu4gZblu97AvsgNMXJQSD6UpMnwuB NGvXJRPwkgYO-E-1sXvRaCA3-a84xS-Zf6NsUCR/USUnemploymentMonthtoMonth.jpg (broken link)

Ken

Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Note that in spite of all the wingnut claims that Obama is responsible for the massive rise in unemployment, the rate increase in 08 under Bush was virtually identical to the rate increase in 09 under Obama.

It has since dropped .2

Ken
Gee and it only cost us 300 BILLION Dollars....

Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:

It has since dropped .2

http://api.ning.com/files/jxmmGj-ZP*J6xtbEeD6wBpD5rtQKGu4gZblu97AvsgNMXJQSD6UpMnwuB NGvXJRPwkgYO-E-1sXvRaCA3-a84xS-Zf6NsUCR/USUnemploymentMonthtoMonth.jpg (broken link)

Ken

Please note the rise under Bush was accomplished without pumping trillions into the economy, further proof that stimulus was a waste.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Taken together neither is particularly encouraging. As people continue to lose jobs, less bad it not viewed as good.
Not encouraging to YOU maybe - but then again the truth is you wouldn't find ANYTHING that happens under Obama encouraging.

Me? I'm a happy camper. My 401K has gone up by enough to EASILY pay CASH to put up very nice home on my retirement property in Arizona - AND still have my original balance intact. THAT'S very NICE.

Quote:
As people continue to lose jobs, less bad it not viewed as good.
Ah, but the job losses are NOT going to continue.

Quote:
Increase in the value of stock portfolios isn't particularly encouraging given the fragile nature of those gains. Peoples memories are short but it was a mere 15 months ago that most peoples portfolios were where they are now but in the intervening time lost 30-40% of its value. In the context of recent history increases in net worth driven by housing and stock increases are meaningless.
Not meaningless to me.
Maybe if you had money in the market they wouldn't be so meaningless to you either.

Ken

Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Please note the rise under Bush was accomplished without pumping trillions into the economy, further proof that stimulus was a waste.
Ah - but the difference is - under Bush the number of monthly layoffs were INCREASING - whereas under Obama (and his stimulus) those numbers have been DECREASING.

I think I prefer that the number of monthly layoffs DECREASE rather than INCREASE - but then again, that's just me.

Apparently you LIKE the idea of monthly layoffs INCREASING each month.

Ken

Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Bub

Quote:
Not encouraging to YOU maybe - but then again the truth is you wouldn't find ANYTHING that happens under Obama encouraging.
Me? I'm a happy camper. My 401K has gone up by enough to EASILY pay CASH to put up very nice home on my retirement property in Arizona - AND still have my original balance intact. THAT'S very NICE.

Ah, but the job losses are NOT going to continue.

Not meaningless to me.
Maybe if you had money in the market they wouldn't be so meaningless to you either.

Ken
Gotta hand it to ya Ken..when you drink the Kool-Aid...You drink it hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies