Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times

Advertisements

Her argument was that if the tables were turned...
If another country had invaded our country and killed 655,000 people, we would view them as terrorists. Isn't that obvious? That's what the rest of the world feels. However, she is wrong in implying that our troops were solely responsible for the murder of that many people. Many were killed by other Iraqis. Again, one could argue that we are responsible for these deaths because they would not have happened if we never invaded.

Her opinion has merit when viewed in these terms. The rest of the world doesn't think of us as heroes, so the view she's forcing us to confront is what the rest of the world thinks about us. If you don't like it, tell it to the rest of the world, don't attack the messenger. Many of her views are an attempt to humanize the Iraqi people. That's laudable even if her method is off-putting.

Frankly, if I were an Iraqi, I'd feel the same way. That's not too unrealistic, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 07:36 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,423 times
Quote:
Is it just me that dislikes Rosie O'Donnell?
Apparently not.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Foma, I think you might be thinking of the comment she made about the soldiers in Gitmo who have been interrogating, terrorizing and harming the prisoners there...

I agree with that assesment of these soldiers AND the soldeirs who command them...they are terrorists...its wrong.
No, Lisa, it wasn't the Gitmo fiasco. My daughter, (her husband is in the Air Force), sent me an email, with a link, to "Scarborough Country", (on MSNBC) which had a clip from "The View", in which O'Donnell equated our troops to terrorists, and that they were responsible for 655,000 Iraqi deaths. Interesting clip.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
I can't stand her.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Apparently not.
Ha, yeah, no friggin' kidding. Ppl are also rationalizing what she says. I guess I was told.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:19 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
Its amazing how heated people get...AND how they judge people on a few words taken completely out of context...

frankly anyone relying Scarborough country for unbiased coverage of anything is going to be left wanting in the end...

watch the VIEW if you want to know what she is saying AND the context it was said in... and not what people who WANT to discredit her, say...

Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times
I for one did watch the View. Rosie is and will always be an idiot in my book.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:22 PM

I watched the View before she came on and I will watch it after she leaves...

Idiots in the media...Maybe that would be a good thread to start...

Rosie is notorious for trying to represent the other side of the story or how the other side feels, seems to me that was one of those christian kind of morals...people should try thinking outside their little political comfort zone, there is more out there then your ONE little belief...and there are people out there who feel as passionately about their views.

I can still enjoy someone even if I don't agree with EVERYTHING they say. Some people PREFER to look for evil wherever they can find it, AND invent it when its not there. I still say thats what the male run media is doing, they are notoriously threatened by strong women, witness how Barbara Walters has been treated over the years...its sad when I see people falling for the propoganda rather then checking into it themselves...

Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Its amazing how heated people get...AND how they judge people on a few words taken completely out of context...

frankly anyone relying Scarborough country for unbiased coverage of anything is going to be left wanting in the end...

watch the VIEW if you want to know what she is saying AND the context it was said in... and not what people who WANT to discredit her, say...
its not just one thing she has said,but several things.With her treatment of Tom Selleck she lost me there after.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 PM

I think thats true in most cases where someone objects to something she has said...if a man did it, it would be all good, not to say that everyone would agree but a different latitude is given to men then to women when it comes to agressive behavior.

It is her party line to be against guns and the NRA, there are many others out there who feel the same thing. If Tom didn't want to be questioned about it then he should have made that clear beforehand as is often done in these interviews, its not like she is not open about how she feels about certain issues.

I also have to say that while I own a gun and believe I have the right to do so, not just a right but a responsibility to take whatever steps I have to, to protect my daughter, I do not however agree with all the NRA says either...

Do you really think its a good thing to do a TV spot for a group like the NRA and then plead that you are not a spokerperson for the NRA, or plead that you don't know what their stance is?
Her interview with him reads more like a hard hitting interview...like I said, he must have had his head in the sand if he didn't know who was interviewing him...

She says in the end that she wanted to give him an opportunity to discuss his side of it and throughout the appearance ON HER SHOW (not The View), he keeps saying he isn't a spokesperson for the NRA, trying to deflect EVERYTHING...why would you join a group, do spots for a group if you don't support the group...that seems kind of crazy too me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies