Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,185,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Joe, do you plan to spend $40,000 on a Chevrolet Volt?

I didn't think so. And neither will the rest of America.
Interesting that all so many of the Bush/Cheney supporters are also in agreement with the Saudis on issues. Wow, what lengths you go to for your team. Grow up! Issues such as human rights and energy independence are not to be debated by football game mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,221,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
One can only get into the head of the OP to determine what the motive was, but here's my take on the OP.

Here we are in 2010 talking (once again) about electric cars being up and coming. However, in 2001 the oil companies do some anti-capitalistic patent trolling to shut down and continue to shut down a battery technology which allowed electric cars to become useful (ie, large scale NiMh batteries).

We could have had electric cars cheap RIGHT NOW, but no. Instead we had to defend and die for our oil supplies for the last decade, got a whole region of people pissed at us, we gave the oil companies hundreds of billions of dollars in profit out of our pockets. And yet, some people on this forum, in the misguided notion of what capitalism and truth is, defends the oil companies for doing this? Like Biden says "is this a joke"? Are we so f'ing gullible to whatever the TV tells us that we will destroy ourselves for some stupid company which does an end-around capitalism to keep it's place in the market?

If you are interested in the truth, why can't we bring the truth out?
I have no problem what so ever with discussing any topic, or this one.

You see, folks will argue for 15 pages over which is the best way to spread butter on toast. Every subject, tiny crumb of news or utterance from any political or notable figure gets put through the wringer here on a daily basis, even when threads are started in a plain informative manner.

If you want to start a thread about oil companies, cartels and tycoons fighting against electric car technology, then be my guest. Starting a thread that says, "Bush's grandmother eats live chickens", then go on to post about egg production in Minnesota is unnecessary and is little more than trolling for a flame war. Part of the forum rules is about using descriptive and accurate thread titles, for obvious reasons.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,289,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
One can only get into the head of the OP to determine what the motive was, but here's my take on the OP.

Here we are in 2010 talking (once again) about electric cars being up and coming. However, in 2001 the oil companies do some anti-capitalistic patent trolling to shut down and continue to shut down a battery technology which allowed electric cars to become useful (ie, large scale NiMh batteries).

We could have had electric cars cheap RIGHT NOW, but no. Instead we had to defend and die for our oil supplies for the last decade, got a whole region of people pissed at us, we gave the oil companies hundreds of billions of dollars in profit out of our pockets. And yet, some people on this forum, in the misguided notion of what capitalism and truth is, defends the oil companies for doing this? Like Biden says "is this a joke"? Are we so f'ing gullible to whatever the TV tells us that we will destroy ourselves for some stupid company which does an end-around capitalism to keep it's place in the market?

If you are interested in the truth, why can't we bring the truth out?
What a steaming shovelful of horse manure!!!

More wild-eyed accusations without any substantiation whatever.

The OP was asked why his thread title wasn't even REMOTELY ties to the content of the link,...a valid question that has been asked repeatedly by the "MIA" OP. Apparently joejitsue couldn't answer the question,...and neither have you.

There are those of us who are "interested in the truth". When you get around to bringing the "truth" to light, please post some links for review,...not some partisan personal opinion from the left fringe element.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM

32,832 posts, read 19,556,153 times
electric cars will not be -viable- until certain things happen

1. they are affordable and sized to the general public....joe public doesnt want to buy a 40k+ mini car that wont carry the family
2. they are -distance- friendly.....if you have a 50 mile commute (think long island (100 miles)) and the electric car only goes 40 miles on a charge, it will be difficult
3. the batteries will last longer (life span, currently 5-7 years) and dont cost 7-10k
4. charging stations are -vastly available-..... I think a good idea would be on the highways where we have the concrete barriers dividers could easily conceal the undergroud wiring and have chargers available every half mile or so...they could even be solar and free

its the same with hydrogen

we need to build the infrastructure up, before the vehicle will be viable

ps:
I remember way, way back...late 60's popular mecahnics had a piec on smart roads,,,having magnetic strips in them, and we would be able to put our vehicles on -automatic drive- which would eliminate traffic problems, crashes, and fuel ecomony problems........the problem....government and the cost of redoing our entire road system.

ps2:
there is also technology about using magnetic levitation

Last edited by workingclasshero; 01-05-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,914,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
What a steaming shovelful of horse manure!!!

More wild-eyed accusations without any substantiation whatever.

The OP was asked why his thread title wasn't even REMOTELY ties to the content of the link,...a valid question that has been asked repeatedly by the "MIA" OP. Apparently joejitsue couldn't answer the question,...and neither have you.

There are those of us who are "interested in the truth". When you get around to bringing the "truth" to light, please post some links for review,...not some partisan personal opinion from the left fringe element.
Did you bother to read any of my previous posts on the subject? Apparently not. Try this post and I encourage you to go through the links at that site to verify each statement...

Wild eyed? Do you not accept that the large scale Ovonics/Panasonic NiMh batteries could deliver 100-160 miles per charge? Do you not accept that Cobasys sued Toyota / Panasonic in international court to effectively shut down the electric RAV4? Do you not accept that Cobasys never accepted orders for nor delivered any NiMh batteries to those who asked for them (except for large commercial vehicle OEM orders)? Then I await your proof that I'm wrong.

Last edited by jkbatca; 01-05-2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
electric cars will not be -viable- until certain things happen

1. they are affordable and sized to the general public....joe public doesnt want to buy a 40k+ mini car that wont carry the family
2. they are -distance- friendly.....if you have a 50 mile commute (think long island (100 miles)) and the electric car only goes 40 miles on a charge, it will be difficult
3. the batteries will last longer (life span, currently 5-7 years) and dont cost 7-10k
4. charging stations are -vastly available-..... I think a good idea would be on the highways where we have the concrete barriers dividers could easily conceal the undergroud wiring and have chargers available every half mile or so...they could even be solar and free

its the same with hydrogen

we need to build the infrastructure up, before the vehicle will be viable

ps:
I remember way, way back...late 60's popular mecahnics had a piec on smart roads,,,having magnetic strips in them, and we would be able to put our vehicles on -automatic drive- which would eliminate traffic problems, crashes, and fuel ecomony problems........the problem....government and the cost of redoing our entire road system.

ps2:
there is also technology about using magnetic levitation
Did you read any of my previous posts? I'll retype some of what I've said:

1. Panasonic large scale NiMh batteries were documented in getting 100-160 miles per charge on both Toyota RAV4 and EV1

2. There's electric RAV4 cars STILL RUNNING TODAY on NiMh batteries even though Cobasys prevents these people from getting new battery packs. I've seen it on the streets of TO, CA WITH MY OWN EYES. That's what, since 2002?

There were (and still are) charging stations at Costco in CA (http://www.beheron.com/Blog_Photos/electric_car_charging_costco.jpg - broken link). I walk by them every time I go there. I'll take pictures of them if you wish...

They've had (past tense) the battery technology you've outlined. Cobasys used anti-capitalistic patent trolling to sit on the tech instead of letting the free market decide if it's good enough.

Actually, the Volt architecture looks interesting and is better than putting strips in roads, although I would want to see real world numbers to back it up. Imagine if they could use the 100 mile-per-charge NiMh batteries with a (bio) diesel based generator? Wave buh bye to oil...

Last edited by jkbatca; 01-05-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Since some cannot apparently find some of my previous posts, let me reiterate what I've said and post what happened with electric cars back in 1990's / 2000.

1) CA CARB forces car makers to make ZEV cars. GM thinks it's going to be cute and make the EV1 with lead-acid batteries where it gets crappy milage. Then GM and oil companies can say "see, electric cars won't work"

2) Panasonic comes out with pwnage safe NiMh batteries which boosts EV1 and Toyota RAV4 cars to 100-160 miles per charge. Cars are rated at 100-150 equivalent MPG.

3) (my opinion) GM and oil companies cr@p their pants. Oil companies could potentially lose hundreds of billions of dollars and GM will lose tons of money on vehicle maintenance.

4) GM gives battery patent rights to the oil company (Chevron buys Cobasys). Fox guarding the henhouse anyone? Cobasys immediately sues Toyota and Pansonic and effectively shuts down electric RAV4s and puts a (virtual) freeze on any other companies thinking about electric vehicles.

5) Even today, we're stuck with Lithium based batteries, which have problems with heat, volitility (explodes), lower energy density, and duration. NiMH RAV4s are still running in 2009. The patents are still in effect and even third party Prius plug-in conversions have to dance around the issue or just can't use that type of battery.

Look at my previous posts for links for proof. Everthing I've said is fully documented. If you don't want to believe the truth, I can't help you there. I more than welcome anyone who can prove what I've said above is wrong.

Last edited by jkbatca; 01-05-2010 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies