Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I believe all of this however the point of the original post was not the candidate but a wrongheaded political strategy that will backfire on liberals just like the Hillary Clinton political strategy backfired on conservatives.
So I take it you asked a question in your OP but had no intention of reading any of the answers...or you read them and couldn't comprehend them.???

Couldn't address any of the posts except the one or two that agree with you.....why?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Why, Sarah didn't graduate from an Ivy League university and it took her five years to obtain her degree. Which conveniently glosses over the fact that she paid for her own college by working for her tuition at all kinds of jobs including cleaning fish. Most people criticizing her have no clue about how the majority of this country lives and what they do to survive. Sarah is a survivor.
Sarah may have cleaned fish during her college days, but she did not come from a poor family. Her father was a teacher, and in AK, teachers are paid well. She, like many politicians, may be using this experience to make her seem someone she is not.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sarah may have cleaned fish during her college days, but she did not come from a poor family. Her father was a teacher, and in AK, teachers are paid well. She, like many politicians, may be using this experience to make her seem someone she is not.
Oh, I don't know....fish cleaner...that describes her in a nutshell.......

Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
She spent one summer working for Alyeska Seafoods. Her paycheck probably only kept her in makeup. Sorry, but one summer playing with crab (not fish) isn't really working your way through college but still...not such a bad deal. It's interesting that it really isn't something that SP mentions when talking about herself.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 AM

15 posts, read 18,200 times
The Republicans are actually more afraid of Palin. She represents a rift in their voting base, on top of being a complete embarrassment for them.

I agree that the Liberals hold Palin and her supporters more in contempt than in fear.

I think that there is a real fear among the educated in this country (on both edges of the moderate political spectrum) that really incompetent and ideologically loopy people could potentially hold higher political office, getting elected by a very uneducated and emotionally swayed electorate. The movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind here. Even dubya was losing a lot of the moderates in his own party in his second term (and I think pure partisanship is what kept them behind him in 2004, honestly, more than approval of his policies).

Old 12-29-2009, 12:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Her family may not have been "poor" but her family lacks class. This is the main reason that some people relate to her. She has that bimbo in the trailer next door type of quality with which they are comfortable.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Her family may not have been "poor" but her family lacks class. This is the main reason that some people relate to her. She has that bimbo in the trailer next door type of quality with which they are comfortable.
I've met her parents; wouldn't say they are lacking "class". The bimbo in the trailer park persona is a bit contrived; Sarah Palin certainly didn't personify that back when she was sportscasting on the Anchorage news station.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-29-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have to ask that question. I need to know why Sarah Palin gets so much attention from the left? It's obvious you're afraid of her or you wouldn't spend so much time, money and energy on making sure her name and face is front and center. Your efforts alone have probably raised the amount of money she can get for making a personal appearance or speech somewhere. Seriously, how much pro-Palin publicity do you see out there compared to your effort? You're raising money for her and you don't even know it. I know you are hoping that people will see/hear your efforts and hope they vote against her. I don't know about that strategy.

I've seen this effort before with a different candidate --- Hillary Clinton. I can't begin to tell you how much time, money and energy the right spent on making HC a bogeyman. I know because I received at least 5 - 6 pieces of mail a day with her name and face plastered all over it for more than a year. Her name was used in surveys to raise money, too. Every right wing TV analyst invoked her name every chance they got. By the time it was obvious that the right spent so much effort on the person that wasn't going to be the candidate, it was too late to do the same for the actual candidate --- Obama.

If Sarah Palin is all of the things you think and say she is, why are you so afraid of her that you are willing to give her all of this free publicity?
I thought only "libs" started S Palin threads...

and really, we've explained enough how we feel about her and why. Why not go back and read, and save some bandwidth?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:28 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
I'm not liberal, not afraid of Palin, but I did vote for Obama. I'm an independent, so I would encourage her to run for President if she wants to. However, once she runs, I will closely scrutinize her platform. From what I have seen from her, it is unlikely I would support her as a candidate.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I thought only "libs" started S Palin threads...

and really, we've explained enough how we feel about her and why. Why not go back and read, and save some bandwidth?
Obviously asked a question she didn't want the answer to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies