Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:20 PM

240 posts, read 537,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The courts have ruled that the people have a constitutional right to move their person and their belongings about from place to place. The government does not have a right to deny, impede or restrict such travel without showing immediate and specific cause. A common carrier may restrict travel, but not in a way that violates civil rights discriminatorily.

You are not forced to travel by plane, but the government and any common carrier is forced to let you if you so wish. "Let you" means without unreasonable hindrance.

And do you have a link to support this little pearl of wisdom???

Last edited by Pawdog; 01-01-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 PM

240 posts, read 537,553 times
Quote:
We could start by endeavoring to create a global posture in which fewer people hate us and wish to destroy us. We have become the monster that grows a new head every time one is cut off.

Islamic terrorist will only stop killing Americans when we all convert to Islam and bow to "their Allah" and way of life.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
So this fellow from Nigeria gets on a plane to Europe, then takes another plane going to Detroit, and tries to set off a bomb.

The increased security measures taken because of this incident are:
You cannot get out of your seat one hour before landing
You cannot reach into the overhead compartment one hour before landing

The terrorists must be laughing their keisters off about now.

"Ooh! Let's have someone board a plane and do something 59 minutes after it takes off! Maybe we can get them to ban the bathroom for another hour! If we keep it up, we can have the bathroom banned for 12 hours and they will all explode on their own!"

What a blooming bunch of over-reacting idiocy. I say boycott planes until somebody with some brains who wasn't a hall monitor in third grade is put in charge of security.
It's interesting that this airport in Amsterdam has ordered and will soon be installing full-body scanners as part of their security system.

Personally, I'm fine with it - at that airport, or any other.

Nobody is forcing anybody to fly. So... If I choose to fly, I willingly submit to the rules, regulations and expectations of said airline. If I don't want to abide by those rules, I don't have to fly with them. If I don't want a full-body scan of me done, I can choose not to fly.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
And do you have a link to support this little pearl of wisdom???
Sure.

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."- Thompson v Smith 154 SE 579.

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the 5th Amendment." - Kent v Dulles, 357 U.S. 116, 125.

"Undoubtedly the right of locomotion, the right to remove from one place to another according to inclination, is an attribute of personal Liberty, and the right, ordinarily, of free transit from or through the
territory of any State is a right secured by the l4th Amendment and by other provisions of the Constitution." - Schactman v Dulles, 96 App D.C. 287, 293.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Sure.

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."- Thompson v Smith 154 SE 579.

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the 5th Amendment." - Kent v Dulles, 357 U.S. 116, 125.

"Undoubtedly the right of locomotion, the right to remove from one place to another according to inclination, is an attribute of personal Liberty, and the right, ordinarily, of free transit from or through the
territory of any State is a right secured by the l4th Amendment and by other provisions of the Constitution." - Schactman v Dulles, 96 App D.C. 287, 293.
None of those OLD statutes, however, guarantee people the right to travel "with explosives and for the express purpose of terrorism."

There are extenuating circumstances that nullify those statutes. Prison inmates, for instance, don't enjoy the freedoms "guaranteed" by said statutes.

Neither should terrorists.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
None of those OLD statutes, however, guarantee people the right to travel "with explosives and for the express purpose of terrorism."

There are extenuating circumstances that nullify those statutes. Prison inmates, for instance, don't enjoy the freedoms "guaranteed" by said statutes.

Last I heard, terrorism is a criminal act, and nobody is a criminal of that or any other nature until they are properly adjudicated in a court of law through due process. Then, and only then, can they be denied constitutional rights. Suspects, with probable cause, can be detained.

In other words, you prove that a person is a terrorist, or show probable cause to believe he is, and then you can deny his rights to travel. The traveler does not have to prove that he is not a terrorist.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Last I heard, terrorism is a criminal act, and nobody is a criminal of that or any other nature until they are properly adjudicated in a court of law through due process. Then, and only then, can they be denied constitutional rights. Suspects, with probable cause, can be detained.

In other words, you prove that a person is a terrorist, or show probable cause to believe he is, and then you can deny his rights to travel. The traveler does not have to prove that he is not a terrorist.
Ahhh... So a terrorist can only be denied free and unfettered travel AFTER he/she has committed said act of terrorism?

If a person is trying to board some mode of transportation, and a full-body scan shows he/she has explosives and/or a weapon, that's proof enough to keep them off the plane.

Further, it is not a violation of any kind of civil right to thoroughly screen any and all potential passengers on any and all forms of public transportation. The only way it's a violation of civil rights is if a person is denied boarding just because somebody doesn't like that person.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

I know lots of old statutes. The right to bear arms, freedom of speech, etc.

Those are all "old" laws, but they are still on the books, and make good sense.

No one is a terrorist until they have committed an act, or attempted to commit an act of terrorism.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:27 PM

19,528 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Be careful, Cat1116---your name resembles Cat Stevens. They'll pay special attention to you.
I'm glad I don't fly then. It's been years since I took to the "friendly skies".

Old 01-01-2010, 05:33 PM

19,528 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
Islamic terrorist will only stop killing Americans when we all convert to Islam and bow to "their Allah" and way of life.
Is that why they are still killing one another over there? You can be of the Islamic faith, believing in Allah and all but even they kill each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies