Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,714,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Let me get this right... if its warmer than usual than its global warming... if its colder than usual than it doesn't mean that its not global warming... you global warming freaks are weird... basically "nothing" will disprove global warming... that's your science? sounds more like faith...
Have you actually studied the science on this issue or are you just responding out of emotion? Global warming is not just "things get warmer". It's actually more extreme shifts in regional temperature - hotter highs and colder lows - as part of an overall warming trend.

It's not faith. It's what science has been predicting would happen for decades now. For example, warming temperatures traditionally frozen environments create better conditions for snow. Snow doesn't fall in extreme cold. It falls in moderate cold.

Also, as oceans warm and bring more moisture into the air, it's going to have to fall at some point. In some places, that would mean rain and in others, where the temperature range is adequate, it would fall as snow.

It's really all there in the literature, and has been long before this became a political issue.

EDIT: I should point out that there may be enough checks and balances in the earth's system to prevent catastrophe, and I have no doubt some factions are using global warming to gain money and power - which is wrong imo. But, just the fact that there's more snow somewhere simply means more precipitation is coming out of the air from more evaporation. Great Lakes are in a similar situation, getting more snow due to warmer global temperature.

Last edited by Bluefly; 01-03-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,976 times
Part of the reason its so cold here may be due to the shutting down of the gulfstream. I'd add the weather here has changed quite significantly over the last 10 years- we no longer get long hot summers, the winters are usualy very mild (i've not seen proper snow since the mid eighties) and when it rains we get torrential rain like we've never had before.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,332,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Part of the reason its so cold here may be due to the shutting down of the gulfstream. I'd add the weather here has changed quite significantly over the last 10 years- we no longer get long hot summers, the winters are usualy very mild (i've not seen proper snow since the mid eighties) and when it rains we get torrential rain like we've never had before.
Who shut down the Gulf Stream?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Rather than posting these threads with a political agenda everytime it snows, it would be helpful for all you non-scientists to realize that global warming does not mean it simply gets warmer all over. Scientists have known for a long time that it would get unseasonably cold in some areas and snow a great deal more in other areas (due to different temps).

It's more important to look at the shift in plant and animal species, which are occupying ranges never before known - ranges that would suggest things are getting warmer.

It really has nothing to do with weather patterns or Al Gore - two dead give aways that your introduction to this issue came through a political spectrum and not the decades of research that's gone into it.
It has to do with that Repug boogeyman...SCIENCE

So they will NEVER understand......that would take learning....ain't gonna happen with them...

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,184,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Britain facing one of the coldest winters in 100 years, experts predict - Telegraph

Paging Al Gore. Paging Al Gore.

Mr. Gore could not be reached for comment.
The earth's climate is very complicated. A minor blip in cooling during the next several years does not minimize the accepted fact that OVERALL we will continue to experience significant warming and that this warming is caused by humanity's activities.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Have you actually studied the science on this issue or are you just responding out of emotion?
Probably emotion. I can't help but chuckle when I see someone proclaim global warming is all bogus when they have zilcho experience in climatology. Yet, they readily dismiss the opinions of eminently qualified people who have made the study of this stuff their lives.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Who shut down the Gulf Stream?
lol. It hasn't shut down completely, but is slowing down. You know what I meant.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,870,185 times
LMAO!

"There's no global warming because it's a little colder in England this winter."

Way to go! The Conservatives are getting more and more ridiculous by the day.. The U.K. is the size of Michigan. That totally tells us what's happening on this planet.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,959,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Isolated incidents are not the sole barometer for global warming, but rather an overall trend.
Then explain to me why they use "isolated incidents" as evidence of the entire trend within the research of AGW?

Old 01-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Then explain to me why they use "isolated incidents" as evidence of the entire trend within the research of AGW?
Because the warming that we have been experiencing over the past 50 years is a significant abnormality when compared to the past million years or so. Something is quite clearly wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies