Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
OBTW - just an FYI - My 2 grown adult sons don't hate me - their father.
How would you feel if your sons hit you? My brothers and I got big enough that our father couldn't catch us anymore and my oldest brother did hit back until someone called the police. Maybe some day your sons will hit you back; ever think of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
Quote:
There is a little document that intercedes - it is called the Constitution.

LOL Spanking is in the Constitution?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
How would you feel if your sons hit you? My brothers and I got big enough that our father couldn't catch us anymore and my oldest brother did hit back until someone called the police. Maybe some day your sons will hit you back; ever think of that?
Nope - sorry, my sons won't "hit me back".

Besides - one son left Friday for his 6th trip to the Middle East.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
That's because it is.

You can't teach someone that hitting is wrong by showing them that hitting is right.

You can't logically connect the two.
An open handed swat on a behind used as a form of discipline by a parent is a little different than smacking some kid in the head for no reason other than he took your toy away or you didn't like the way he looked at you.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
An open handed swat on a behind used as a form of discipline by a parent is a little different than smacking some kid in the head for no reason other than he took your toy away or you didn't like the way he looked at you.
The intent may well be different. But the act itself is not.

It's still hitting.

You can't shine %^&*

Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Young children spanked by their parents may grow up to be happier and more successful than those who have never been hit, a study has found.

According to the research, children spanked up to the age of 6 were likely as teenagers to perform better at school and were more likely to carry out volunteer work and to want to go to college than their peers who had never been physically disciplined.

Study: Spanked Children May Grow Up to Be Happier, More Successful - Children's Health - FOXNews.com
Haha, FOX "NEWS" is your source? Fox News also says Sarah Palin is smart and the Republicans know what's going on.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The intent may well be different. But the act itself is not.

It's still hitting.

You can't shine %^&*
The intent behind any action is significant and absolutely applies when it comes to spanking.

Shoot someone for looking at you the wrong way or shoot someone out of self defense: difference.

Beat a kid b/c he looked at you the wrong way during dinner or give a child a spanking b/c he ignored all your other attempts at handing out discipline for his bad behavior (the intellectual heart-to-heart talks people apparently have with 2 year olds, the time-outs, etc.): difference.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Haha, FOX "NEWS" is your source? Fox News also says Sarah Palin is smart and the Republicans know what's going on.
Helllo? Fox news reported the study. That's pretty much it.

Typical liberal knee-jerk reaction to anything Fox: spew rhetoric that has NOTHING to do with the point at hand.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REIRehabber View Post
So you're a contributor to the decline in our fertility rate that would maintain our culture? That's another problem altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIFXYU
...Are you kidding me? Really?

I got spanked as a kid and deserved every last swat. I was one of those where conversations didnt work, I didnt care if you took things away because I could do without them, and if you yelled at me I just laughed. I LIKED annoying people.
Ive said it before, my mother is a saint, and I deserved every last smack on the bottom she ever gave me. She tried absolutely everything before she'd let me have it. Im better for it now.

Then again, I was one of "THOSE" kids, and the principals of my middle school knew me well enough to haul me down the hallway by my ear. Yes, physically haul me by my ear to their office.Both knew my address and phone number by heart. Some of the things I did in middle/high school would make you parent's hair curl.

Lets see, there was the time I tied both of this one boy's shoelaces to his desk, so that when he got up he fell flat on his face and took the desk with him... my grandma got wind of it and took a switch to me. I apologized to the boy the next day and that was the end of that caper.

Then there was the food fight initiated in the school lunch room...and the gum stuck in a girls hair because she'd tripped a friend of mine purposely in the hallway....

Yes, I was THAT kind of kid that needed an arse whuppin...I knew at the time I deserved it (I was stubborn and willful, not stupid), but was having too much fun to care.
It is completely up to the parent to know their child, and apply discipline accordingly, because not every method works on every kid, especially mischievious, stubborn, ornery ones like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies