Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,095,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Funny...I was taught by liberals too and am successful and can spell and comprehend better than you.

I just must be so much smarter.

Oh I think you are a star. A great big important person! None are better than you!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,580,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Oh I think you are a star. A great big important person! None are better than you!
100 percent spot on. You are damn right for once.

Finally! Something we can agree on aside from hating on illegal immigrants.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,095,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
100 percent spot on. You are damn right for once.

Finally! Something we can agree on aside from hating on illegal immigrants.

I knew stroking your ego would sooth you.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
non-controversy. Ask Tim Kaine.
Were people calling him, "Timmy?" I have a problem with the name Timmy. I can't see an older man being called that. Heck, I can't even see a teenager being called Timmy. But Barry is a fine name. I know a Barry. But I don't think he has another more formal name. Do you think people call Nicholas Sarkozy, "Nick?" Or Vladamir Putin, ""Vlad?" I really don't know.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:31 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Were people calling him, "Timmy?" I have a problem with the name Timmy. I can't see an older man being called that. Heck, I can't even see a teenager being called Timmy. But Barry is a fine name. I know a Barry. But I don't think he has another more formal name. Do you think people call Nicholas Sarkozy, "Nick?" Or Vladamir Putin, ""Vlad?" I really don't know.
No, Barry from DC called Tim Kaine on a radio show right before Christmas.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
When I was a little kid, I would tease my little brother, David, by saying, "Daaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyvid" in a slightly whiney voice to make his name sound dopey and nerdy. He would get mad and yell "Mommy, Johnny's making fun of me!" Then my mom would get mad and tell me to cut it out, and I'd say, "What??? It's HIS NAME. I'm only saying HIS NAME... What's so bad about HIS NAME, it's HIS NAME!!! Why is it so bad to say HIS NAME?!?!?!" Then my mom would threaten me with a real punishment. Because she knew that I knew that I wasn't just saying his name, but I was saying his name in a mocking, teasing, derisive manner.

And that's all you and the others are doing when you call Barack Obama "Barry" or "Hussein". Yes, those are his names - one is his childhood nickname and one is his middle name. However, he is a grown man who clearly goes by "Barack Obama". Barack, not Barry. And he doesn't use his middle name to refer to himself (as most people don't).

And on top of that, it's obvious that you are someone who doesn't like the man, so you are resorting to the same stupid, childish tactic that I used with my brother. The only difference is that I was actually a child when I did that, and even then I knew what I was doing and that it was insulting and mocking. You really ought to know better than to resort to childish tactics like that.

It's fine if you want to call him "Barry" or "Hussein" to insult him - at least that would be honest even if it is insulting. But to try to use the excuse "But it's HIS NAME" as a techicality to try to convince anyone that you mean no insult is disingenuous and cowardly. Either don't be insulting, or be insulting and be grown-up enough to stand behind it. You're not fooling anyone.
How do you know what he goes by? Most people don't know that Laura called George W. "Bushie" all the time, sometimes even in public. Often public figures get called nicknames by the public that stick after awhile. The brits are famous for it (Fergie, Di, etc.). I don't have a problem with people calling him Barry. As I said, lighten up.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
LOL...sigh...honestly, you do realize that when someone uses barry or hussein it's an insult, right? I mean, I can't just be imagining that, right? You know why? Because it comes from our friends on the right. Barry, I don't really care about. But if you've noticed, one of our friends on here continues to use hussein as his name...a bit immature don't you think? Yes, I thought so as well. It's like calling Bush dubya...people call him that because they couldn't give a crap about him & that's their own way of insulting him.
Yes, it is absolutely meant as an insult. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

And it's nothing like calling Bush "Dubya". That is the nickname he grew up with. That's what people called him in Texas.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,853,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
No, it's NOT his name. His name is BARACK. Barry was a once-used NICKNAME, which he no longer uses.

You know this. And yet you persist. There can only be ONE reason that you refuse to refer to the man by the name he was GIVEN and his preferred name NOW.

It's disrespectful and your intent is to show your disrespect for the man.
Barry Obama its not that big of a deal

How is calling him a name that his close friends called him and still might in private for all you know disrespectful

Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
When I went up north for vacation this past week, every once in awhile we would flip thru the channels. Did you notice that on Fox (yes, it's true), they would say "Mr. Obama" instead of "President Obama"? I noticed it...anyone else? Just a little thing I noticed, thought I would mention it.
I never watch Fox "News", but I don't see anything wrong with calling the president "Mr." You are correct, though, that this is the kind of thing the Republicans were constantly whining about when Bush was president.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,958,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes, it is absolutely meant as an insult. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.
Thank God you're here to clear this up for all of us .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies