Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't understand how referring to Obama as "Barry" is disrespectful. What's wrong with Barry being a nickname for Barack? Barry is a common enough American name. And some of us remember Barry Goldwater fondly. Barack is an unusual foreign name. Now referring to him as "Nobama" isn't that flattering, but again so what? None of us are walking up to the man and calling him "Barry" or "Nobama".

As to upsetting him or hurting his feelings, anyone in politics has to have a think skin. Surely his plummeting approval rating in the polls is far more painful for him to bear than a handful of anonymous people referring to him as "Barry".

Anyway, just because the man is our president, doesn't mean that we all love and respect him. I'd never spit on him, but this is America and it's my personal choice if I want to respect him. I for one, didn't vote for him in the primaries or the general election. And I'm still glad that I didn't vote for him.

Respect cannot be demanded. It can only be earned.
Those in authority have not earned MY respect. Does that mean I should not respect cops? Actually, there's not a person out there who has earned my respect--but shouldn't I treat everyone with a certain amount of respect?

The proper way to refer to the president is PRESIDENT Obama. Just like former President Bush should not be referred to as simply Bush, or "Shrub" or "W".

Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Chill out already. Stop being such a control freak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Oh, we can read. We just think you are full of BS with this rant and have failed in your attempt to control everyone else. Kind of like what Barry has done.
Are you people being intentionally obtuse, or do you really have this much trouble with reading comprehension?

For the last time. . .

Call President Obama any damn thing you want; Barry, NObama, 0bama, Bambi, Hussein, President Zero. I have ZERO interest in "controlling" what you call the man. ZERO. Let me repeat, because I know you're familiar with what the word means. . . ZERO interest in "controlling" what you call him.

This isn't a "rant", at least not my rant. I didn't start this thread. I'm not complaining about the use of the name Barry. But. . .

The person who did start this thread was feigning innocence about using a diminutive to refer to the President, as not being disrespectful. HONEST people, including myself, called BULL$4!& on that crap. When you call President Obama 'Barry', you damn well know you're doing it to intend disrespect.

THAT IS YOUR RIGHT TO DO, BUT STOP PRETENDING YOU DON'T MEAN IT THAT WAY. WE AREN'T STUPID.

Now, carry on calling him Barry to your heart's content. Just know that whenever any of us with a brain see you doing so, we'll know exactly what you are attempting to convey.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Are you people being intentionally obtuse, or do you really have this much trouble with reading comprehension?
No, are you?

Quote:
For the last time. . .

Call President Obama any damn thing you want; Barry, NObama, 0bama, Bambi, Hussein, President Zero. I have ZERO interest in "controlling" what you call the man. ZERO. Let me repeat, because I know you're familiar with what the word means. . . ZERO interest in "controlling" what you call him.
Gee, that's nice of you to give us your permission. But if you truly have no interest in "controlling" the conversation, try not to control it. If it really means nothing to you, why do you continue on with your rants?

Quote:
This isn't a "rant", at least not my rant. I didn't start this thread. I'm not complaining about the use of the name Barry. But. . .
Actually, all you are doing is complaining about the use of the name Barry. Reread your posts. Must be that comprehension thingy again.

Quote:
The person who did start this thread was feigning innocence about using a diminutive to refer to the President, as not being disrespectful. HONEST people, including myself, called BULL$4!& on that crap. When you call President Obama 'Barry', you damn well know you're doing it to intend disrespect.
Your opinion, but only that. And you know what they say about opinions.

Quote:
THAT IS YOUR RIGHT TO DO, BUT STOP PRETENDING YOU DON'T MEAN IT THAT WAY. WE AREN'T STUPID.
Believing that you know or can assign motives to others without dialog with them is STUPID. How could you possibly know who is pretending and who is not? Are you pretending to be upset? I certainly think so.

Quote:
Now, carry on calling him Barry to your heart's content. Just know that whenever any of us with a brain see you doing so, we'll know exactly what you are attempting to convey.

Well, according to your standards, YOU are the only one who you think has a brain, so I guess we just won't worry about it.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 PM

LOL Thanks for proving me right about your level of comprehension! I needed a good laugh this morning!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
You know..I think I might just start typing BARRY knowing how much it get's under Jill's skin. Some people just make themselves easy targets.

Thanks for the fun Jill (and Barry).

Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 PM

Again with the reading comprehension problem. It doesn't get under my skin. I just recognize the people who use it as being intentional jerks. If you want to be seen as such, be my guest.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Again with the reading comprehension problem. It doesn't get under my skin. I just recognize the people who use it as being intentional jerks. If you want to be seen as such, be my guest.
Of course not...that's why you made a point to use caps, bolded words and lots of #*&@%$ in your repeatedly ranting posts. LOL

Have a good day Jill.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Yes, because using emphasis and &^%$% is never an indication of trying to get the attention of thick-headed individuals, and always implies "ranting". But just keep on posting and proving my point. You're doing a great job there, bub!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
LOL Thanks for proving me right about your level of comprehension! I needed a good laugh this morning!
You read your own posts?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, because using emphasis and &^%$% is never an indication of trying to get the attention of thick-headed individuals, and always implies "ranting". But just keep on posting and proving my point. You're doing a great job there, bub!
No, more like crying for attention and pouting when you find no one takes your points seriously.

You keep on posting, we need someone to laugh at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies