Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:24 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times

Advertisements

Perhaps if you had actually heard more of the program you could better understand where this all came from. Seems many black Americans had decided to take offense to the use of the word "negro" in the census. Seems many black men and women no longer wanted to be referred to as "negros" So, obviously the census bureau has chosen to remedy this by adding two other terms to be used by black Americans. The attempted spin is simply another example of just how off target our mainstream media really is and just how easy it is to suck many of you into believing something that really isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,180 times
Even though my husband was born here, he considers himself to be Korean-American. So does everyone who looks at him. My daughter is also Korean-American in my eyes. I guess according to the childish and overly-simplistic Mr. Beck, they should only be allowed to refer to themselves as "yellow".

Beck has no right to complain about how people choose to self-identify. Maybe someday "black" will be the only term used. Maybe "yellow" will be the common term used on a census form someday. Who knows? But that's not the way it is today, and Glen Beck should respect that. He doesn't have any reason to complain about how an entire group of people perceive themselves.

Once again, Beck has made a complete ass out of himself.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM

146 posts, read 149,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Even though my husband was born here, he considers himself to be Korean-American. So does everyone who looks at him. My daughter is also Korean-American in my eyes. I guess according to the childish and overly-simplistic Mr. Beck, they should only be allowed to refer to themselves as "yellow".

Beck has no right to complain about how people choose to self-identify. Maybe someday "black" will be the only term used. Maybe "yellow" will be the common term used on a census form someday. Who knows? But that's not the way it is today, and Glen Beck should respect that. He doesn't have any reason to complain about how an entire group of people perceive themselves.

Again, another one with just flat out hate for Beck and missed the point. Here it goes again.... AFRICAN-AMERICAN IS NOT A RACE! That is all he was saying, nothing more, nothing less. Let me ask you, what RACE does your husband say he is? And don't say Korean-American because that too is not a race. Why is it so hard for people to stay focused on what this thread is about?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM

353 posts, read 552,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
things change from time to time. and negro is something that white people used 1st to describe do your own history!
And?
Quote:
where have i contradicted myself i stand cl.ear on what i said
You don't seem to have a clue what your arguing about.
This whole post is about African/American, Negro and Black being different classifications for race and Beck saying it's a made up term.
The fact is African American is not a race, period.

Quote:
stop reaching and complaining
Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM

353 posts, read 552,514 times
Quote:

News flash. Your race is Korean. Your nationality is Korean/American. Its really not that hard.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
Again, another one with just flat out hate for Beck and missed the point. Here it goes again.... AFRICAN-AMERICAN IS NOT A RACE! That is all he was saying, nothing more, nothing less. Let me ask you, what RACE does your husband say he is? And don't say Korean-American because that too is not a race. Why is it so hard for people to stay focused on what this thread is about?
I don't hate Beck. I simply think he is a childish ass. Dissecting the legitimacy of the term African American, which is the preferred term used by millions of people to identify themselves by race, serves no purpose other than to insult and belittle.

And yes, when people ask my husband, "what are you?" as they do frequently, he says Korean-American.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:05 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Lightbulb Let Me Try To Answer This Thru MY Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
Love or hatred for Mr Beck notwithstanding for a moment, I'll say that I'm black---and I'll answer to that, Negro, African-American, whatever, as long as it's not (gasp!) that ol' devil N-word...THEN, I have a problem...

But to answer your question with a question, who made Mr Beck the final judge and arbiter on what is a 'race' and what isn't? Now, don't get me wrong, I understand to a certain extent what he is trying to say...and at the end of the day, whatever comes before ' -American' is irrelevant---we are ALL citizens of the United States Of America...that much is true 24/7/365...

However, I think where the flames are getting fanned is folk are taking his comments and interpreting them to say he is either using them as a belittling of a race, or he's trying to, as I said earlier, make himself out to be the final judge and arbiter of what people of differing ethnic groups choose to call themselves/be called by others...and in THAT respect, I think he may be wrong...as adults, we are all the owners of our own lives and destinies, and it's NOT up to a media personality, love him or not, to make a call like that...I understand fully about what initiated the flap ( the placing of the word 'Negro' on the upcoming census as an identifying term along with 'Black' and 'African-American'...and if I messed that up, I apologize), but it's still not his call

Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
News flash. Your race is Korean. Your nationality is Korean/American. Its really not that hard.
I'm not Korean at all. And you're saying Korean is a race? Interesting.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Did someone announce that "African-American" is a race?

If not, I think Glenn is flailing away at a strawman.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Lightbulb Don't Sweat It, Songgirl

Quote:
I'm not Korean at all. And you're saying Korean is a race? Interesting.
He was probably so in a hurry to try and be flip-mouthed and 'tell you off', that he couldn't take time to ACTUALLY ASK if you were Korean-American as well...folks on this forum do that all the time---y'know, try and make a smart remark without having facts in hand first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies