Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times

Advertisements

[quote=highcotton;12437140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post

A C-130 could land and offload generators, fuel, parts and personel in less than 30 minutes and then takeoff again. The runways can be wired for lighting in two hours and the generators setup. Air traffic control (radar and communications) can be up and going in four hours.

What are you doing here then? Why aren't you over there showing them how easy it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Tragedy in Haiti: The American Response
Quote:
The U.S. is working on a fast Haitian rescue with a handful of Coast Guard cutters, a hospital ship—the USNS Comfort—and aircraft carrier Carl Vinson. Here is how the rescue effort will go down.
http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/usns_comfort_470_0110.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
According to the news: US Special forces are setting up a control tower for air traffic control in lieu of the emergency lighting they have up. Right now there are basically airplanes just talking to one another. Finland, Canada, and USA are there already.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
US, globe rush rescue, relief workers to Haiti - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100114/ap_on_go_pr_wh/haiti_earthquake_aid - broken link)

Countries all over the world are responding with either physical help or money.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps you should calm down a little? Haitians don't speak French, but a French-base creole. Also, Haitians aren't just Christian like you have said, although voodoo is included in their Catholic religion.
French is one of the official languages in Haiti

MANY (the majority really) Haitians practice Catholicism and not vodou (the ACTUAL religion and not the NOLA based "voodoo")

not that any of this actually matters...

Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Of course forcing people to help others is just as inhuman as the misery in Haiti right now. You can call it one's duty, but you can never force them to help.
Still, it's immoral not to. That was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I hope that everyone that has made idiotic remarks about this event has the same thing happen to them, and soon. I pray God takes them out.
Harsh, but point well taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You pray that an earthquake will strike my house, specifically, and suck me into the earth? I think God's gonna ignore that request.
I think he'll deal with us in hurricane, tornado and flood occurences. We'll see this summer, since you want to bring God into this. People, these are natural disasters...nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
There is a rescue team from Norway with heavy equipment, fuel, parts and necessary assets for themselves that arrived today. They are working tonight.
I love being an American, but you have to respect the Europeans. My grandfather wins again! (He always says Europeans are always on top of things (less red tape, I guess). Of course, he's Belgian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Halloween, Friday the 13th, Rob Zombie movies too...What's your point? .. Oh, let's not forget the movie Leprechaun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
what about the Dominican Republic? they're their neighbors if I'm not mistaken
Yes, and they were the first ones to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The international response to this tragedy is amazing so far. People are coming in from all over the world to help.
That's the beauty of mankind. There are exceptions...but overall, when in crisis, people usually put their minds and efforts together.
It's idiotic posts like Txt and others that sound like him that makes man look horrible.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
If anyone is interested, here is a link to the USNS Comfort - being readied to go to Haiti. A remarkable vessel. Her sister ship is the USNS Mercy

Home

Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
French is one of the official languages in Haiti

MANY (the majority really) Haitians practice Catholicism and not vodou (the ACTUAL religion and not the NOLA based "voodoo")

not that any of this actually matters...
Quote:
Two languages were spoken in Haiti: Creole and French. The social relationship between these languages was complex. Nine of every ten Haitians spoke only Creole, which was the everyday language for the entire population. About one in ten also spoke French. And only about one in twenty was fluent in both French and Creole. Thus, Haiti was neither a francophone country nor a bilingual one. Rather, two separate speech communities existed: the monolingual majority and the bilingual elite.
Haiti - LANGUAGE
The same goes for Catholicism. While most Haitians are Catholic, this version of Catholicism is a mixture which includes Voodoo. I lived nearby and can tell you that during the day they would go to a church, and then they would practice their Voodoo rituals, sometimes through the night. Over in NYC when I lived there, I associated with some of the people who practiced Santeria. They were Catholic like anybody else, except for the Santeria rituals the followed each day. Santeria is another Caribbean form of religion that is stronger in Cuba, but I also knew of it in Dominican Republic, Miami, and NYC where I have lived.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
So let's have some good religion based charity organizations listed we can donate to.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
7.0 earthquake hits Haiti - CNN.com

Global Warming? They predict increased volcanic, earthquake and excessive weather events. Hmmm.
Sure. Global warming caused my dog to take a leak on floor the other day. This really needs to be addressed. Give Al Gore more money to keep my dog from ruining the hardwood floors and help kill Man-Bear-Pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies